Gransnet forums

Chat

What makes or breaks a holiday/break for you?

(42 Posts)
kittylester Fri 21-Mar-14 07:49:24

We are having a few days in the Peak District - the hotel is beautiful, our room quite luxurious, the food is fabulous - so why does the room only have a double bed rather than a king size confused

rosesarered Mon 24-Mar-14 11:17:56

You can tell we are 'knocking on a bit' can't you when comfy beds are the top of the list! It never used to be, but it sure is now for us.Also on the make list... good quality food and cleanliness. Hopefully we would have picked a lovely area to stay anyway [or why go?]
On the break list...bad weather [top of that list for me] too many 'touts' if away from UK, and bad journeys for whatever reasons.

Tegan Mon 24-Mar-14 11:57:42

Having tea making facilities in the room. Had a holiday on Kefalonia once where there was no kettle [thankfully we'd taken a travel kettle with us but the owner of the hotel was furious about it] and there was no kettle when we had a few days in Paris last year.

papaoscar Mon 24-Mar-14 13:10:44

We were once lucky enough to be upgraded from economy to first-class on a flight to Australia. Did that make a difference? You bet! Trouble is, its never happened again and economy travel now feels very much like steerage class in the old days.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 24-Mar-14 13:24:57

Comfy bed and no noise.

gillybob Mon 24-Mar-14 13:31:54

Nice fat pillows and soft white towels bath sheets for me. Also tea making facilities are an absolute must as I cannot funtion without my first cuppa of the day preferably in bed served by a sexy man straight from the shower with wet hair and a rippling chest wearing nothing but a small handtowel made lovingly by Mr Gillybob grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 24-Mar-14 13:35:51

grin grin grin

I forgot to add spotlessly clean (along with the bed and lack of noise)

judidoo Mon 24-Mar-14 17:24:06

I just totally agree with Carygransnet, both the specifications.

These days I would add a comfy lounge with a view if possible, as I can no longer do all day out and about.

I love the seaside. Where can I find all these together? Must be within easy reach of Mid-Wales. Any recommendations?

Galen Mon 24-Mar-14 18:00:28

Rhyl?

Ana Mon 24-Mar-14 19:13:47

grin

Stansgran Tue 25-Mar-14 16:18:54

My pet hate is flat screen TVs . Why do they have to dominate a room? If the hotel room has a sitting area why can't the tv be there. I stayed in an Almeria hotel where they put us in a suite, tv in bathrooms bedroom and sitting room. It's an addiction.

kittylester Tue 25-Mar-14 17:18:48

Judidoo this hotel might be too far for you but it is my favourite place to go for a break and sounds right up your street!

www.brudenellhotel.co.uk/

judidoo Wed 26-Mar-14 18:58:03

Kittyl. thanks for trying but it is too far. I looked it up though and really wish I could go there.

The other suggestion was Rhyl but I still need a hotel recommendation. I'm sorry your name is hidden as I type this. Am frightened of losing my message if I go back to find it now.

judidoo Wed 26-Mar-14 19:02:47

Have found it now, - Galen, do you know of a good place to stay, suitable for someone who needs a bit of TLC?

annsixty Wed 26-Mar-14 20:09:46

Hate to say this but having spent 10 years near Rhyl it has no decent hotels and the town is "not nice"!!!Try Llandudno, far superior.

annsixty Wed 26-Mar-14 20:20:05

Llandudno has 2 hotels which may suit,check out the St Georges and The Imperial. Both have been tried and found good.

judidoo Fri 28-Mar-14 15:39:57

Thanks Annsixty,I will look them up.