Gransnet forums

Chat

Cards or not?

(46 Posts)
henetha Sun 23-Mar-14 11:50:13

One of my sons has told me that he will not be sending cards from now on. None at all, Christmas, birthday, etc... definitely no cards.
Am I being silly to feel hurt by this? I have kept every card he has sent me and they mean a lot to me.
But I have to respect his views, I suppose.
And I've had a brainwave... He is very keen on drawing and painting, so I have bought a packet of card blanks as used by creative crafters, so I am going to ask him if he will sketch me a card from now on.
How do you all feel about cards? He says it is just lining the manufacturers pockets. But I think cards are about pleasing the people you send them to. Mothers in particular treasure them, I think.

nannyfran Mon 24-Mar-14 12:49:24

Oops! My smiley didn't work but the thought was there!

merlotgran Mon 24-Mar-14 16:30:49

I don't keep cards but I love getting them and always send them, even to DH's sister who makes a big point of letting everyone in the family know they're not going to get one from her hmm

gratefulgran54 Mon 24-Mar-14 17:25:24

Cards went out the window for me and my boys years ago when every penny counted, but we always get together on birthdays and Christmas, no matter what, and that has meant more to me than anything.
Always lots of photos/videos taken, and they are lovely to look back on and remember the day.
Although, having said that, the DGC's have presented me with some beautiful 'pictures' over the years, which are all kept in a box that I can rifle through now and then......the DiL's always date them too, which is lovely. Only the other day I was given some very colourful potato prints by GC4...he had done loads, but was very specific about which 3 I had to take home with me smile

grannyactivist Mon 24-Mar-14 17:34:34

One son usually buys me cards that he chooses for the sentiments expressed and the other isn't much of a one for sending cards, but demonstrates his feelings for family and friends in other ways. For instance he's just asked if we can meet up for a meal together this week. I'm not too fussed if I get a card or not, but I do appreciate it when an effort to communicate (of any kind) is made.

goldengirl Mon 24-Mar-14 17:45:33

It's nice to receive them but I'm not bothered if I don't. I give birthday cards to close family but not necessarily Christmas cards.

arranmum Mon 24-Mar-14 22:38:36

My younger son lives in Canada now with his family and they never send cards, DiL says it's up to him and doesn't encourage the boys to send them either. However he always calls on birthdays etc ( just had one as it's my birthday!) and it makes my day! My late elder son always made a big fuss and went to great trouble to get just the right card and present but they are just different to each other .

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Mar-14 22:41:36

Hope you have had a lovely birthday arrunmum. flowers

Flowerofthewest Mon 24-Mar-14 22:58:01

I am so relieved. I was beginning to think it was just my sons. I randomly get a card for Mothers Day or Birthdays but not always. I was particularly touched and surprised to receive a Pearl Anniversary card from him on Saturday.

I hope you all have a wonderful Mothers Day what ever comes your way. I am away so am escaping the disappointment (hoping for little gifty things when I return though)

papaoscar Tue 25-Mar-14 13:59:54

For some years we have used internet cards for Christmas and birthdays etc. Some are free but we use one called Jacqui Lawson where you pay a small annual fee. The cards are lovely, the service excellent and it enables us to keep in touch with old friends and family at reasonable cost. We still send ordinary cards to those few others who don't have the internet.

HollyDaze Tue 25-Mar-14 15:03:44

My daughter has always sent cards and so do both of my granddaughters. My son always sent cards up until he got married and then they stopped. I haven't told him that I feel saddened that he doesn't send them anymore but I do - there's something a bit special about a card that has been carefully chosen (as he used to).

JessM Wed 26-Mar-14 07:32:44

Both my sons in southern hemisphere and cards are a rarity - only if the DIL remembers. They will not remember mothers day as it does not happen at this time of year out there.
I never send xmas cards. I send birthday cards to a select group of people.

BlueBelle Wed 26-Mar-14 08:24:57

I love receiving cards my eldest and her children always send them my son with the help of my d-il always send them however my youngest daughter is so sporadic and sometimes you do, sometimes you don't sometimes its a fortnight late and they are always going 'missing' those grandkids never send me anything although I am close with them when I m with them I feel she doesn't find her original family so much part of her life since marrying, cuts me into pieces not just the cards the whole distance thing I don't mean geographical

I have a file cabinet drawer full of their cards from way back when

rockgran Thu 27-Mar-14 14:19:55

I wasn't really expecting my son to send anything this year as they are overseas ....but a parcel has just arrived via Amazon! Chocolates, I think grin They can still surprise you, can't they?

Galen Thu 27-Mar-14 14:31:51

I won't get any, but yesterday DGD presented me with a card she'd made (with help, she's only just over 2 .5) with a big yellow flower and "I love my granny" on it!smile

hespian Thu 27-Mar-14 14:37:33

And how do we feel about "moonp**" cards? I really dislike them as they seem so impersonal- even if they have been personalised! Two of my children live in Australia and I love to get a card that has been written by them. One"moonp**" one has arrived for Mothers Day and it even has " sorry it's moonp**" printed on the envelope - I still hate it!

BlueBelle Fri 28-Mar-14 17:28:40

never had one

annodomini Fri 28-Mar-14 18:04:49

My son put together a wonderful card for my 70th, via Moon***, with pictures from my past on it. I still treasure it - it's fixed by magnet to the front of my boiler.

henetha Sat 29-Mar-14 11:07:56

This was the first thread I have ever started on Gransnet. Thanks ever so much for all the response. I was worried no-one might respond!
I hope all you mums and grans out there are remembered by your offspring tomorrow with flowers, chocolates, etc - and cards! smile

feetlebaum Sat 29-Mar-14 12:07:55

Why the asterisks in 'MoonPig'? I relaise it's neither Kosher nor Halal, but still...

And what's so strange about a manufacturer making a profit?

Riverwalk Sat 29-Mar-14 12:29:56

I send Moonpig cards to my grandchildren who live in Somerset. They are great fun as you can personalise them with photos incorporated in the card.

My grandson (8) was fascinated that a pic of him was alongside Spiderman; and granddaughter the same with Peppa Pig.