Gransnet forums

Chat

I have just cleaned my fridge

(39 Posts)
Mishap Mon 07-Apr-14 19:22:14

You might wonder why this is worth mentioning! Hmmmm.......

kittylester Mon 07-Apr-14 19:27:33

Yea!!! Well done Mishap. Do you spill something - that's when mine gets done! grin

Mishap Mon 07-Apr-14 19:33:42

I truly cannot even begin to remember when I last did it.........

annodomini Mon 07-Apr-14 19:46:02

I cleaned mine a couple of weeks ago when my sister was coming to stay. There were some very interesting relics at the back of the shelves. Some were completely unidentifiable. blush

Brendawymms Mon 07-Apr-14 20:03:26

It's so reassuring to know that others are as good at fridge cleaning as I am. grin

absent Mon 07-Apr-14 20:44:29

The fridge is thought to be the most germ-ridden item in the house. Apparently loos are kept much cleaner. I think I had better add fridge cleaning to my ever-increasing list of Useful Things for Absent to Do.

rosesarered Mon 07-Apr-14 20:50:27

It's the one thing I keep spotless [well, mostly.]

Ana Mon 07-Apr-14 20:59:29

Isn't it just fridge handles that are extremely germy? Can't see how the inside could be much of a breeding-ground if it's at the right temperature.

Mishap Mon 07-Apr-14 22:15:36

The handle - oh darn! - forgot that bit!

rockgran Mon 07-Apr-14 22:43:14

I'll do it tomorrow. hmm

durhamjen Mon 07-Apr-14 22:57:20

Not many of you worked in catering then.
The thing about fridge temperatures is that if they are low enough, they can stop germs proliferating. The germs will be there on the food packaging and the raw food that you put in the fridge. They just will not grow exponentially if you keep your fridge at 5 degrees or below.
I've now read stuff that suggests that people our age should not eat soft cheeses because of the risk of listeria.

annodomini Mon 07-Apr-14 23:00:52

What pleasures are left to us if we have to be scared of soft cheeses? I have enjoyed a very ripe brie recently and so far have come to no harm. wink

Ana Mon 07-Apr-14 23:02:10

As long as the bacteria are kept at bay in the fridge I don't care! grin

durhamjen Mon 07-Apr-14 23:21:52

Same here, Anno. Not quite vegan yet.

durhamjen Tue 08-Apr-14 00:17:10

www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/07/infected-meat-food-inspectors-warning
It's not your fridge you need to be worried about!

FlicketyB Tue 08-Apr-14 07:32:34

I have never succumbed to the current fashion for eating meat barely cooked, mainly because on the rare occasions I have had food poisoning, it has been as a result of eating food not fully cooked in a restaurant. DH was recently laid low for several days after eating seared tuna when eating out.

A preference for slow cooked casseroles and stews and because I buy meat in bulk and store it in a chest freezer means, I hope, that if I have ever bought infected meat, any infection has been killed by cooking. So far no-one has ever got food poisoning eating in-house, but I am not complacent. I know it could happen.

absent Tue 08-Apr-14 08:31:32

I am feeling virtuous having crossed off quite a few of the items on my list, including the newly added "clean fridge" – inspired, of course, by you Mishap. Thanks.

HollyDaze Tue 08-Apr-14 08:39:18

I haven't cleaned the fridge out but I did attack the medicine cupboard and took all the old stuff to the chemist - that got me a bit of a look! Glad it's done though.

Nelliemoser Tue 08-Apr-14 08:40:22

I was at DDs yesterday child minding and discovered a lot of water at the bottom of the fridge where the vege boxes sit. After mopping this up I took my knitting needles to the hole at the back of the fridge to allow the condensation at the back to drain away. This was blocked with the usual sort of fridge grunge.

It is much easier to notice the mess in other people's fridges than in your own.

annodomini Tue 08-Apr-14 08:57:49

I de-cluttered my sock drawer which I'd been having trouble closing and opening. I have decided to wear only soft-top socks, so chucked out all the pairs with elasticated tops that leave a mark long after you've taken them off. They filled a carrier bag which I left in a charity box, though I don't know if they can do anything with good used socks.

Stansgran Tue 08-Apr-14 11:28:12

Sock monkeys

durhamjen Tue 08-Apr-14 11:28:31

I am sure Oxfam take anything, even old socks and bras. They can sell on from their recycling centre in Yorkshire. It can even go as mattress stuffing.

Charleygirl Tue 08-Apr-14 11:42:14

Mishap you are obviously in the mood- I have a f/f and a single fridge, both which would love your attention.

There is a local fellow who cleans out kitchen cupboards, fridges, floors, the inside window (s) and the dreaded oven, all for £40. I think that is quite a bargain. If he would add my venetian blinds I think that he may have a deal in the near future.

Bellasnana Tue 08-Apr-14 11:54:44

Charleygirl do you think your local bloke would like to visit Malta? grin

Elegran Tue 08-Apr-14 11:55:59

Anno You could have posted those socks to the Budongo chimps, Edinburgh Zoo, EH12 6TS.

The keepers hide fruit in them, so that they have to find it and extract it. They also use old Tshirts, jumpers and pillow-cases as part of their "enrichment" - though I am not quite sure how enriching smelly old socks are. They are stimulated by having to search for their food in new and interesting places, rather than getting it served up at set times in a neat bowl.

Things don't last long - they get ripped up in no time - so a constant supply is needed.