Gransnet forums

Chat

I have just cleaned my fridge

(40 Posts)
Mishap Mon 07-Apr-14 19:22:14

You might wonder why this is worth mentioning! Hmmmm.......

Charleygirl Tue 08-Apr-14 12:08:05

Bellasnana- I think that because Malta is marginally further than a bus ride away, I have a feeling that he may say no! It is a good bargain and apparently he does bathrooms for £20 but mine is fairly new and pristine, tiles everywhere.

Bellasnana Tue 08-Apr-14 12:35:23

I thought as much, Charleygirl. Guess I will just have to do it myself sad

rockgran Tue 08-Apr-14 22:00:05

Did it - cleaned the fridge! The power of Gransnet!

Elegran Wed 09-Apr-14 10:17:44

I get an email reminder once a month to check my smoke alarm (not that I pay any attention to it).

We could set up a thread, master-minded by one of our more efficient posters, that nagged us regularly to -
"NOW CLEAN THE FRIDGE!"
"NOW CLEAR OUT THE UNDER-SINK CUPBOARD!"
"NOW DELETE ALL YOUR OLD EMAILS!"

But would we do it?

What else could you do with a regular reminder of?

Gagagran Wed 09-Apr-14 10:49:46

I cut DH's hair approximately once a month and we have a set routine of testing the alarms then too, so we don't forget. We have 2 smoke alarms and 1 carbon monoxide alarm.

The freezers get done when I can see icebergs building, the fridge gets done when I can persuade DH to do it as I can't kneel down, and the microwave gets done if something splatters.

MiniMouse Wed 09-Apr-14 10:55:27

Watering the plants in the greenhouse! It's a testament to the wonders of Mother Nature that the plants defy my neglect of them smile Must do better/try harder/see me after school . . . . . wink

kittylester Wed 09-Apr-14 11:14:47

My freezer gets done when there is so much over hanging that the door won't close! blush

I am neurotic about keeping my inbox sorted but DH has never been known to delete an email in his life! His (real) desk is well organised whereas mine has enormous hemorrhoids! grin

kittylester Wed 09-Apr-14 11:16:01

Obviously that should read 'so much ICE overhanging'

gillybob Wed 09-Apr-14 11:31:56

I clean my grandmas fridge almost every week as she is a sloppy old.....
she is very short sighted these days. It helps me keep track of what she needs and dates etc. and really takes no doing.

I could do with giving my own a once over every now and again though. I will put this on my TODO list.

kittylester Wed 09-Apr-14 13:46:36

Before I realised that mum wasn't coping, I had been maki g her single portions of casseroles, lasagne etc and handing 3 or 4 over per week! She eventually said she had no room in her fridge for milk and, when I looked, it was full of dried up and hairy Tupperware boxes full revolting casseroles etc! And what a waste of Tupperware!!

gillybob Wed 09-Apr-14 13:50:05

I have been there with my grandma kittylester and can totally sympathise.

She will pick the thing closest to the front (bless her) and I was always finding tubs of butter etc. with only a tiny bit taken out that had gone mouldy as she had opened a new one. I now go through the fridge every week and give it a clean with anti-bac spray while I am at it.

petra Wed 09-Apr-14 14:35:29

Once again I will speak up for people who like a clean fridge/ freezer and oven. And yes, I do have a very active interesting life.

gangy5 Wed 09-Apr-14 15:13:54

I'm ex catering durhamjen and as there's no environmental heath officer in the vicinity I very rarely clean mine!! As you say, the germs will only multiply when you take them out!!

TriciaF Wed 09-Apr-14 19:36:17

Well I have one small fridge, one large fridge/freezer, 2 small freezers and one large freezer. And they're all almost full of food, meat, veg. and fruit from last year, baked goods etc.
I defrost the freezers when the ice starts to force the door open. The fridges get emptied and cleaned once a year.
The problem comes if we have a long power cut, as happened after a storm in 2009. A friend lent us a generator to keep the contents cold, otherwise it would have meant a big financial loss.
You can insure against this.