Gransnet forums

Chat

Female Anglican Priests celebrate

(5 Posts)
JessM Sat 03-May-14 20:00:27

Just like to say congratulations sisters on your big day of celebration. 20 years since the first were ordained in England.
www.christiantoday.com/article/20.years.of.women.priests.celebrated.at.st.pauls.cathedral/37173.htm
Apparently Justin Welby apologised for the tough time they went through gaining acceptance.

HollyDaze Sat 03-May-14 20:15:41

They haven't gained full acceptance though. I agree with Susie Leafe - the fact that the celebration occurred is damning in itself.

I would say congratulations to all those who have fought for this right though and I hope they keep up the hard work until women in the church are seen genuinely as equals.

MiceElf Sat 03-May-14 20:54:28

Agreed Jess, it's a good day. As for Susie Leafe, Reform is an extreme evangelical group which opposed the ordination of women.

HollyDaze Sun 04-May-14 16:09:31

I am agreeing with Ms Leafe's sentiments on this particular topic (as it appeared in the link) not her beliefs in general; I know nothing at all about her or her group.

JessM Sun 04-May-14 17:30:11

And still the Church of England don't have female bishops. There is an anglican female bishop in N Ireland and in several other countries I believe.