Gransnet forums

Chat

Sunday roast

(51 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 11-May-14 16:46:29

DH feels deprived if he doesn't have a Sunday roast. I have cooked one almost every week all my married life. DD hardly ever cooks a roast. Although she loves it.
If your a meat eater, do you still have a Sunday roast or am I old fashioned?

sorry this is in the wrong place.

Greenfinch Sun 11-May-14 18:47:44

I never cook a Sunday roast. If we are on our own we go out in the evening for a curry (Sunday buffet )and if we have visitors I usually cook something with quorn as DD is vegetarian.

rosequartz Sun 11-May-14 19:39:50

We usually have Sunday roast in the evening but other things were happening today so no roast dinner. I think DH may feel deprived. And no leftovers for tomorrow so I will have to think of something else for Monday dinner.

Deedaa Sun 11-May-14 22:19:00

I cook roasts, but not necessarily at the weekend. Once you're retired it doesn't really matter when you have it. I like it because it's easy to prepare and gives you cold meat to be sliced for sandwiches and enough left over for a curry or a cottage pie or whatever.

ninathenana Sun 11-May-14 22:39:50

Jess DH is very obliging, enough said grin wink wink

JessM Mon 12-May-14 07:16:50

Well that's ok then grin Long term relationships require give and take - or rather, receive, on both parts.

12Michael Mon 12-May-14 07:30:50

I do myself a Sunday lunch , can vary as to what I have .
Usual routine is to do potatoes and veg in the steamer, I sometimes have a suet steak & kidney done in steamer.
Otherwise meat in oven being single I do enough for two days meals.
But tempted to go out for a proper pub Sunday roast.
mind you in the anchor home where I am many go to relatives or some do other eat outs at Chinese eat as much as wants.
Mick

Nonu Mon 12-May-14 07:37:27

That all sounds very nice to me Mick.

smile

PRINTMISS Mon 12-May-14 07:49:11

Like you Deeda we do not stick to SUNDAY roasts, we maybe have that during the week, but somehow it does not taste the same! We now just have juicy chops or steak, or chicken/duck pieces which saves having the left overs to cope with. On the odd occasion I also make a favourite pudding, but these are rare these days.

kittylester Mon 12-May-14 07:56:24

We often have a Sunday roast as we love cold meat, salad, fried potatoes and pickle on Monday.

The children rarely have a roast and aren't too keen on having one at all.

I find making a roast really easy so am happy to do it. I often make double veg dishes and freeze one to make it really really easy another time,

grannyactivist Mon 12-May-14 11:16:49

I usually have pork and venison in the freezer and occasionally buy a joint of lamb or a chicken, but as my two Afghan boys are muslim they will only eat halal meat, so we've had very few roasts since they've been with us. I love to cook (and eat) roast dinners and they're a firm favourite with all the family so I do cook one if I get the chance - just not necessarily on a Sunday.

BeeWitch Mon 12-May-14 16:37:37

I always used to cook a roast Sunday lunch, and more often than not made a steamed sponge pudding (courtesy of my old Bero recipe book, still got it too) when my children were growing up. I rarely do now ... last roast lunch I cooked was at Christmas.

rosequartz Mon 12-May-14 16:41:36

Grannya - all NZ lamb is halal I understand, if you want to cook them a roast.

Steamed sponge pudding, yummy, yummy, with custard. Shush, am trying to watch my weight or even lose some! envy

Grannylin Mon 12-May-14 16:50:52

I love having a roast on Sunday whether my OH wants one or not!DD2 will often ring on a Sunday and say she is just popping over...and then adds...and are you having a roast?We have a farm shop in the village so the quality of the meat and poultry is excellent but I think, really, I am just a sentimental old fool...memories of childhood, making apple pie with my Mum, listening to the radio, waiting( and waiting) for Dad to get back from the pub..
I don't do it every week but it's a tradition in the family that I enjoy maintaining. smile

Grannylin Mon 12-May-14 16:53:55

...andBeeWitch I have my Mum's Bero cookery book (with the brown illustrations)

hindsight Mon 12-May-14 17:33:21

Only ever make a roast when my children come back for the day/weekend now. Doesn't seem much point for one person! Cooking just isn't fun when you're on your own.

annsixty Tue 13-May-14 11:49:46

BeeWitch I have half of a tatty Bero book and a few years ago sent for the new one having seen it promoted on the back of a bag of flour.What a disappointment it was. So if you have the recipe for the lovely chocolate cake.....

BeeWitch Tue 13-May-14 13:43:14

Have sent you the recipe annsixty via message - hope it's the one. It looks yummy though. Happy baking! cupcake

annsixty Tue 13-May-14 14:27:01

Thank you BeeWitch.I have PM'd you.

BeeWitch Tue 13-May-14 15:57:27

grin

Purpledaffodil Tue 13-May-14 21:12:51

I particularly enjoy the current trend for long slow cooked roasts. Nigel Slater slow roast leg of lamb is a family favourite and can sit in the oven for 5 hours filling the house with amazing spicy smells. And it there is never any worry about tough meat.
I agree that it shouldn't be something that is expected of the cook as a right and can be so easily replaced by a good BBQ in the summer, but when the days are cold, bring on the Nigel lamb, or similar! wine

Ana Tue 13-May-14 21:18:45

Never been a fan of barbecues - especially the neighbours'... wink
So much easier to do everything in the oven, whatever the season!

Purpledaffodil Sun 18-May-14 21:55:50

I agree Ana. Second hand BBQ over the fence is not nice. I didn't use to like them at all, seemed to be an excuse for men to sit outside with a glass of wine while women slaved over the salads in the kitchen. However the advent of gas barbecues and the scaling down of the meatfest, has made them less hard work I find. wine

Mishap Sun 18-May-14 22:33:19

We don't eat very much meat, but when I do cook meat it is usually poultry (duck today) and I always do the slow roast technique and have done for years. Give it a bit of a blast for 20 minutes, then turn down to 100 and leave as long as you like in a a covered roaster. It sort of steam-roasts and is always succulent - you can always do a hot blast at the end to crisp off the outside if you wish. It is useful when family are around as lunch can be a moveable feast depending on what everyone is doing.

merlotgran Sun 18-May-14 22:41:11

I wish they were less hard work. hmm

DH kept the perching stool he needed after his two hip replacements which is the perfect height for the barbecue. He sits there waving various utensils over the meat while I run backwards and forwards organising salads, bread, sauces, cutlery, napkins, DRINKS etc., and just as I collapse on to the seat that nobody wants because it's rickety uncomfortable, he suggests I might like to check everything to make sure HE's cooked it properly. angry

sunseeker Mon 19-May-14 09:18:42

I never liked BBQs - why cook over a fire in the garden when you have a perfectly good kitchen! although DH loved them and was always inviting people back to ours when weather was good.

I usually do a roast on a Sunday, even now I am on my own, although when the weather is hot I tend to just roast a chicken and then have that with salad.