Gransnet forums

Chat

Choosing your Username

(83 Posts)
NanKate Sun 01-Jun-14 10:07:59

Some of the names GNetters have used are obvious in how they were chosen, but others a bit more obscure.

Some I may have deciphered.

I think Numberplease must have been a telephonist at sometime.

I can't however work out Dragonfly1 or Soutra or Jinglebellsfrocks

Charleygirl Sun 01-Jun-14 10:10:44

Mine was my last cat! He was male so I added "girl" to identify me.

kittylester Sun 01-Jun-14 10:14:24

You might be sorry if you ask jingl about her names grin

Dragonfly1 Sun 01-Jun-14 10:20:41

Oooh, I quite like the idea of being obscure, NanKate! Makes a change from being called obtuse! My username is in memory of my darling girl, who was terrified of dragonflies all her life. One day, when she was ill and had little left except hope, a dragonfly flew into the house and landed on her outstretched hand. From that moment on, she said, she lost her fear of dragonflies and of death. They became 'her' symbol of faith and hope, and at her funeral lots of people wore clothes or jewellery with dragonflies on. Her best pal even had one tattooed on her arm.

Folk still give me dragonflies - garden lights, jewellery, paintings, scarves; it's our way of keeping her with us.

ninathenana Sun 01-Jun-14 10:20:47

Nina is a kind of nickname for my middle name.

Your right some are puzzling. I'm guessing Dragonfly1 likes dragonflies grin

ninathenana Sun 01-Jun-14 10:22:22

Oop badly timed post sorry Dragonfly1 a touching story.

Lona Sun 01-Jun-14 10:54:01

Dragonfly That's a lovely way to remember her sunshine

Ariadne Sun 01-Jun-14 11:01:06

Ariadne helped Theseus escape from the labyrinth - in other words, helped a man get out of a mess! I studied classics as well as English, and the name is one I have always liked.

Dragonfly what a poignant story. Thank you for sharing it with us. x

Grandmanorm Sun 01-Jun-14 11:10:54

Dragonfly what a touching way to choose a name. Made me quite emotional, thank you for telling us.
Oh mine is obvious, but I wish it wasn't as I have to be so careful about what I write.

Nelliemoser Sun 01-Jun-14 11:11:53

Mine is quite obviously my first clematis.

Dragonfly That is a good choice as a way to remember how special she was to you. flowers

merlotgran Sun 01-Jun-14 11:18:47

I don't think I need to explain mine, do I? grin

dragonfly I will think of your post whenever I see one now. smile

Lilygran Sun 01-Jun-14 11:19:50

Mine's a partial anagram!

janeainsworth Sun 01-Jun-14 11:28:34

Dragonfly what a lovely choice of name.
I wonder if you have heard of this charity www.josiesdragonfly.org/
set up by a young girl with cancer.
A friend gave me a dragonfly pendant from the shop for my 60th birthday and I really treasure it. flowers

Dragonfly1 Sun 01-Jun-14 11:38:22

Jane, yes, I'm familiar with Josie's story. The jewellery is exquisite, isn't it? Merlot - lovely post, thank you. And thanks all. smile

whenim64 Sun 01-Jun-14 11:50:09

Dragonfly flowers I'll remember your story now, each time I see a dragonfly.

Mine is obvious - I chose it a few weeks before I was 64. My sister and I were planning lunch together on my forthcoming birthday and both burst into song at the same time.

AlieOxon Sun 01-Jun-14 11:51:29

Mine is my nickname and county.....one 'L' please!

Is alchemillamollis still around? I liked hers!

Elegran Sun 01-Jun-14 12:10:25

Mine is a partial anagram and the vain hope that I might become elegant one day.

Brendawymms Sun 01-Jun-14 12:17:32

Mine is a forename I'm sometimes called but isn't my name the second half is a surname I like.

annodomini Sun 01-Jun-14 12:28:36

Mine's pretty obvious - and more obvious every time I look in the mirror and see someone like my granny.

Grannyknot Sun 01-Jun-14 12:54:18

Mine is a play on the words that I am a granny ... not! But I'll change it soon because from July I'm no longer going to be not a granny smile.

KatyK Sun 01-Jun-14 12:59:21

Dragonfly flowers Mine is boring. Some of yours are so clever and conjure up all sorts of pictures smile I may change it !

glassortwo Sun 01-Jun-14 13:24:06

dragonfly Lovely way to remember sunshine mine is easy grin

Stansgran Sun 01-Jun-14 13:37:35

I have a dragonfly brooch. I will think of your daughter .flowers my SIL wanted Stanley for their son but when I said our parents' phone number was Stanley 1600 I think they changed their minds.

Marelli Sun 01-Jun-14 13:48:39

Dragonflies are such beautiful creatures, and like the others, I will think of you and your daughter when I see one hovering on a warm, sunny day.
Mine is a mix of the beginnings of my children's names. My eldest daughter, my middle daughter and lastly, my son's initial.

Galen Sun 01-Jun-14 13:58:48

Mines pretty obvious