Gransnet forums

Chat

Really fed up......

(54 Posts)
nanapug Sat 30-Aug-14 12:29:01

Sorry to moan ladies but need an outlet!! I have trouble with my weight at the best of times but over the last few weeks I have had big problems with my back, and then just as that resolved itself the old knees started playing up. As a consequence I have not been nearly as active as I usually am and I have piled the weight on, which of course in turn makes the back and knees worse. I am not really sure why I am sharing this as I know there are many people in worse situations but my summer has been hijacked and I am pi**ed off!! Thanks for listening, now I must try to get my arse in to gear and try to do something sad

HollyDaze Sat 30-Aug-14 12:38:37

What about swimming nanapug? You don't have to actually swim if you don't like swimming but if your local pool has the noodles (long, think foam things) that you can sit on in the water and 'cycle' around the pool or lounge across them with your arms and just paddle with your feet (if they have a ladies night, so much the better or see what times they are very quiet with few people in there). You will be burning up calories but the water will support your weight.

If you have specific knee problems, have a word with a swimming teacher that may visit the pool to give lessons and he/she may be able to advise you on pool activities that would help without making things worse.

ninathenana Sat 30-Aug-14 12:38:46

It's good to have a moan as I'm fully aware. That's the joy of GN there's always someone to "listen"
Can you manage a short walk ? I always find a bit of fresh air lifts my spirits. It's a good way to ease yourself back in to exercising.

Mishap Sat 30-Aug-14 12:41:09

Hello nanapug - good to hear from you again.

It is a vicious circle - pain in back/knees/hip (or wherever) - unable to be so active - put on weight - pain gets worse!

Try googling You Tube seated exercises - I found several and they are good for improving fitness in the privacy of your own home, without putting too much stress on your painful places.

I am about to embark upon some pre-hip replacement exercises which I have downloaded from the net.

Good luck!

nanapug Sat 30-Aug-14 12:44:41

I love swimming but sadly the cold water makes my back muscles go in to spasm and it is excruciating sad Yes, I am walking as much as possible, which I agree is so good but it is limited and I then need to sit down for quite a time to recover. Golly gosh I hate this old age thing. I just want to be able to play with my GC and take the dog out for long walks and cook and clean. Thanks for listening ladies, I know it will improve in time but I am impatient (and fat!!)

nanapug Sat 30-Aug-14 12:46:51

Hello again "Mishap", lovely to hear from you too. I will google the things you have suggested, thank you. How are you now?

glammanana Sat 30-Aug-14 12:58:21

Hi nanapug I have pm'd you with something you may find interesting. glamma x

Galen Sat 30-Aug-14 12:59:35

Hello nanapug from another fatty.
I've just given up as a bad job, drawn money from my savings and bought a new wardrobe.
What can't be cured must be endured.
One evening jacket
One pair evening trousers
2 tops
All from just last season for under £75 total.

I'm not saying how much the phase eight evening dress was.blush

kittylester Sat 30-Aug-14 13:10:38

Not a lot of advice nanapug just flowers and a hug from someone who knows how much support there is available on GN!

I'm overweight but all most of my bits are still more or less working, thankfully, but I do feel for you, it must be awful.

nanapug Sat 30-Aug-14 14:37:53

Thank you all for your kind words and support. I don't go to my GP as all they talk about is my weight causing my problems, and as much as I know it certainly doesn't help I know quite a few skinny people with bad backs and bad knees. That makes me sad and angry so I just try to sort it myself. A little bit of support from here will go a long way x

thatbags Sat 30-Aug-14 14:47:36

If I were you I think I'd go back to my GP, nanapug, and ask them what they can do to help as well as suggesting you try to lose weight. You are quite right that not being overweight does not prevent one being in pain from some causes. I speak as someone who is not overweight but has been taking strong painkillers daily for over thirty years to deal with arthritic pain.

thatbags Sat 30-Aug-14 14:50:03

Keeping active may stop my joints from seizing up but it doesn't stop them hurting.

janerowena Sat 30-Aug-14 17:18:27

True - and at this time of year it gets worse. My feet are like weather forecasters. I can tell when it's going to get rainy and cold well in advance.

Yes, to the swimming, but even then you have to be careful what stroke you use. I have to use breaststroke for the arms combined with crawl leg movements, otherwise my shoulders and hips won't move the next day.

annodomini Sat 30-Aug-14 18:04:53

I've been swimming most days as well as doing some aquafit moves, during my caravan holiday with the family in the South of France. I thought it would help my back muscles to get back into some kind of form but it hasn't. And the French bread, cheese and wine have done my shape no good at all. But I had a great time!

annodomini Sat 30-Aug-14 18:04:53

I've been swimming most days as well as doing some aquafit moves, during my caravan holiday with the family in the South of France. I thought it would help my back muscles to get back into some kind of form but it hasn't. And the French bread, cheese and wine have done my shape no good at all. But I had a great time!

Galen Sat 30-Aug-14 18:29:18

That's the main thing isn't it? Eat drink and be merry because tomorrow is weigh in daysadgrin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Aug-14 19:12:56

Galen, I've just bought a new wardrobe too. It's got two tops and no sides.

#effingjohnlewis hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Aug-14 19:18:23

I have spent the last few days wandering, very slowly, round the streets of Barcelona. I didn't lose any weight, probably due to the calorie dense diet we seemed to follow. I didn't gain any weight either though.

I do think it's possible to lose weight just by eating less. I think the exercise bit is over-rated.

hildajenniJ Sat 30-Aug-14 19:34:02

Since retiring I have put weight on too. I am almost two stone heavier than when I got married. In the autumn I am going to see if my local pool has any water aerobics on in the afternoon. Also to get myself more supple I am looking for yoga classes, I used to enjoy yoga when I was younger. All classes have to be in the afternoon as I go to bed really early in readiness for work at 04.00.hmm

goldengirl Sat 30-Aug-14 19:34:43

I'm always banging on about Pilates but as someone who doesn't really like exercise I highly recommend giving it a go. With the right teacher who understands what you can and can't do but gently helps you train your muscles to work as they should at your appropriate age you will feel not just better in yourself but your whole body will benefit.

When I started I had back problems and bowel problems and last year I sustained a leg injury but with Pilates I'm much more confident and relaxed about myself and my leg and back are so much stronger and there's also been great improvement in my leg muscles.

I also swim but there's always the hassle of getting dry.....

Galen Sat 30-Aug-14 19:39:43

hilda another crcoheter I see!
Doesn't give you much exercise though does it?

etheltbags1 Sat 30-Aug-14 19:54:56

I suffer with similar muscle and joint pain and im overweight. I couldn't sleep last night with pain in my arm from my shoulder joint. I would like ot know why does the pain come on the next day. If I do any excersise at all, I feel a bit tired afterwards but by the next day Im utterly exhausted and in agony, I'v been like this all my life which has put me off all excersise.

janerowena Sat 30-Aug-14 20:58:02

I'm the same, I know I can only exercise every other day, or go for a long walk, anything really. I have to take a painkiller before I start to move or go out for the day, to keep the swellings down. Afterwards is too late.

shabby Sat 30-Aug-14 21:16:08

I'm a big Pilates fan too goldengirl. Aches and niggles have disappeared since I have been doing it and I feel much fitter and stronger. Feel almost evangelical about Pilates and think everyone should be given a course free on the NHS.

Galen Sat 30-Aug-14 21:34:15

Same here JaneRowena except for me a long walk is from my chair to the kitchen.
I'm fed up with it as well.
The pain is always worse the next day.
But, one just has to grin and bear it.