Gransnet forums

Chat

Puncturing someones balloon

(44 Posts)
littleflo Mon 08-Sep-14 08:16:03

There was an article in yesterdays paper about some american football fans tossing around a beach ball during the interval of the game. Everyone was having fun until one fan stamped on it and then applauded himself and grinned at the camera.

I am very new to Gransnet, and I love it. People on here seem to be, such a wonderful supportive group. Witty, knowledgeable, articulate, extremely kind and often grateful for the help and advice they have received

However I have noticed that on occasions a light-hearted post is going along very nicely tossed around to one gransnetter and then another, when suddenly there appears a post that punctures the balloon.

petra Tue 09-Sep-14 21:14:27

Me. I would say there are about 6. As Nelliemoser said: it's in the humour.

janerowena Tue 09-Sep-14 14:43:39

I met up with a lovely lady last year, sadly she has dropped from sight on the board unless she is here in another incarnation. I just found it hard to keep up regular meetups at the time, as I was helping to care for a sick niece.

I don't think I've come across anyone who posts regularly yet that I couldn't face meeting!

Nelliemoser Tue 09-Sep-14 13:24:50

I find it easy to get "a feel" for people on here whether good or bad.
For me it's often down to people who seem to have the same odd sense of humour.
Which is probably always a sign that you are on the same wavelength as someone else.

I am not sure how the thread is defining "puncturing someone's balloon" though.
Is that just a fundamental disagreement about facts or a difference in view points. Or just a plainly offensive remark.

As has been said many times before, a challenge to someone else's viewpoint, can be considered offensive by some when other's just see it as being an alternative view point.

Some of us can deal with it others seem to find it upsetting. There is probably little that can be done about that.
Love on GNrs.

annodomini Tue 09-Sep-14 13:06:48

A very dear friend, whom I met on Gransnet, was, of course, Greatnan whom we lost last November. I will never forget the two visits I made to her little apartment in Haute Savoie.

Marelli Tue 09-Sep-14 12:45:08

What really warmed my heart was when I mentioned that I was going to the dentist for an extraction (and a few other nasty things), but that I'd need to get the bus as we didn't have a car at that particular time. It was around the August of the first year of Gransnet, (I remember this because Ruby Wax was appearing at the Edinburgh Festival and Marmight, - who had a different name at that time - had commented that Ruby might want to come across the bridge to have tea with her, or something like that, anyway)!
When Marmight realised that she lived only a few miles away from me, she messaged me and said she would take me to the dentist and wait for me while I had my treatment, then bring me home again. I thought that was just so kind.
As it happened DH came with me, and I was actually ok, but that sticks in my mind - 'the kindness of strangers'. Not strangers anymore now, though. smile

suebailey1 Tue 09-Sep-14 12:39:56

I have only had one meet-up with two Gransnetters and thoroughly enjoyed it- bit of s low start but then we got right in and the time flew. I agree being able to put a face to a name helps you to know what the person is trying to convey. The baldly written words with the usual facial expression and body language can seem a bit stark and be taken wrongly. I like a good look at the body language!!!

Elegran Tue 09-Sep-14 12:19:14

We were talking about this just last Sunday. We agreed that those we have met in person and spoken to in the flesh are friends - no different from other friends except in the way we were introduced to one another. Those we exchange posts with on the forum are also friends (well, most of them - some seem a bit more like foes) but we don't yet know them quite as well as those we have met in person.

Some people were very opposed to meeting up when it was first suggested. They thought it would somehow spoil things, but it has not. I would prescribe face-to-face meetings for everyone. They do help put an end to those "What does she really mean by that post?" moments if you can visualise the person when you read the text.

Marelli Tue 09-Sep-14 12:10:54

I remember, when Gransnet first started out, very tentative thoughts were given towards meet-ups. Some thought it may tend to spoil things a bit once we met face-to-face, as it were. Or even possibly compromise identity. However, gradually the meet-ups did start to happen (think the first one was in the Cheshire area), and there have been lots since then. I love going to them. It's nothing grand - just friends meeting up for a catch-up. Lovely! smile

annodomini Tue 09-Sep-14 12:09:59

Quite a lot. The ones I've met have been just as I'd imagined them.

Marelli Tue 09-Sep-14 11:47:04

Made quite a few good friends on here. smile

HollyDaze Tue 09-Sep-14 11:43:47

However I have noticed that on occasions a light-hearted post is going along very nicely tossed around to one gransnetter and then another, when suddenly there appears a post that punctures the balloon.

It's probably best to just ignore the post where that has happened and just carry on with the lighthearted bits. I noticed that lighthearted threads didn't last very long so maybe it isn't what this forum particularly enjoys?

Charleygirl Tue 09-Sep-14 10:05:19

I agree

Elegran Tue 09-Sep-14 08:53:36

Most.

petra Tue 09-Sep-14 08:49:58

A bit off topic, I know, but I have been thinking about this: how many people on this forum do you think you could be good friends with.

Eloethan Tue 09-Sep-14 01:06:49

I agree with jingle. Why not be upfront and make a comment on the relevant thread if you think someone is being po-faced or rude?

Aka Mon 08-Sep-14 23:18:22

hmm wink moon

durhamjen Mon 08-Sep-14 23:11:41

Habits of a lifetime? I've only been on the site for two years.

Aka Mon 08-Sep-14 23:07:08

The point jingl is this is a topic which gets raised every so often. Just because some of us have been round and round this numerous times doesn't mean that people new to the site can't thrash it out for themselves.

In fact I think us old stagers would do better to leave the thread and take our cynicism with us.

moon

Ana Mon 08-Sep-14 23:06:04

grin

Aka Mon 08-Sep-14 23:03:42

Why change the habits of a lifetime Jen wink ?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 08-Sep-14 23:02:17

I'm not stirring it. I think this is a silly thread. Talking about God know who. What's the point?

moon

durhamjen Mon 08-Sep-14 22:59:42

Just when I was going to agree with Ana.

Flowerofthewest Mon 08-Sep-14 22:59:39

jingle [naughty emotiacon]

durhamjen Mon 08-Sep-14 22:57:46

Stirring it, jingle?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 08-Sep-14 22:56:26

Ok. The paranoia's getting a bit overwhelming now.

Just name some names. Better out than in.