Gransnet forums

Chat

I am really angry!

(50 Posts)
Galen Fri 21-Nov-14 23:47:12

I sent the pearls that were my 21st birthday present from my father to be restrung as they had broken!
They were collected for me this evening and I was warned they would be shorter due to the restringing!
They were however shorter than I expected!
The shop had counted them as 81 graduated pearls! I recounted!
Now only 79!
They were perfectly matched for colour and size and almost flawless! The missing pearls are practically irreplaceable due to their age and colour!
I also wore them at my wedding and my childrens christening!
You all know how I feel about my pearls.
What do I do now?
I'm really upset!

grannyactivist Sat 22-Nov-14 00:28:34

Oh Galen I can see why that would be so upsetting for you. In your shoes I would contact the firm and insist they find and restore the missing pearls immediately. flowers

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Nov-14 07:06:37

Bet they dropped them! The missing two are probably jammed between the floor boards. Did they put it in writing that there were 81? It's carelessness - and lieing too. Infuriating! I'd get back to them. Threaten them with The Press or You and Yours if necessary. Nothing so scary as a Riled Up Granny!

Grannyknot Sat 22-Nov-14 08:22:25

Galen, that is understandably upsetting. I'd point out to the shop about the two missing pearls (they should have done that and apologised and there should be no charge for the work done). I hope the string is not too short for your liking.

All that said, it's life isn't it, that things go wrong, and now your pearls that you've had all your life, mirrors that fact. I think the best approach is acceptance, once you've spoken to the jeweller flowers

tiggypiro Sat 22-Nov-14 09:35:35

Oh Galen I too would have been furious. I would certainly be having a little 'chat' with the manager but also echo what Grannyknot said. I always try and tell myself when things go wrong like this that in the big scheme of things it is not too important. It still takes a while for the anger to dissipate though !

soontobe Sat 22-Nov-14 09:44:06

Go back to the shop. Tell them they were counted as 81.
But also think that this is not a missing child you are talking about. Okay? flowers

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 22-Nov-14 09:49:33

Have you rung them yet?

Riverwalk Sat 22-Nov-14 09:52:59

No one has died but that's not to say that Galen should accept what's happened.

They are valuable items and two are missing!

kittylester Sat 22-Nov-14 10:03:55

And the whole string had huge emotional importance for Galen. (((hugs)))

annodomini Sat 22-Nov-14 10:04:13

I wouldn't stand for this, Galen. If they counted the pearls when you delivered them for re-stringing, and there are now two missing, they are swindling you. I wonder if they strung them in-house or if they sent them away for stringing which I think my jeweller did. If the latter, they will probably try to pass the buck. As I say, just don't stand for it.

whenim64 Sat 22-Nov-14 10:05:58

Galen I understand why you're angry and upset as they mean a lot to you. Do you have a photo of those pearls that would enable them to be counted? Or, one of you wearing them, which will show they are shorter now? Whether you have or not, they have been careless and should try to put this right and waive costs. Otherwise, it's good old Twitter and Facebook, but a reputable jeweller would want to maintain their good reputation and look after their customers. Hope it gets sorted.

Riverwalk Sat 22-Nov-14 10:08:31

And the cheek of them to warn that it's shorter because of re-stringing - they must think you're a doddery old lady and would fall for that. shock

gillybob Sat 22-Nov-14 10:24:22

Pardon my ignorance Galen but why should the pearls should be shorter due to being re-strung? Surely there would be the same number of pearls being put back, or in this case there wasn't, as they have obviously mislead some or else someone, somewhere is now wearing a nice pair of pearl earrings

harrigran Sat 22-Nov-14 10:36:53

I understand your anger Galen, we are not talking a couple of beads here but valuable pearls, probably the two missing ones would buy another piece of jewellery. If they counted the pearls and registered the number then the shop is liable for the loss and compensation paid if missing items are not found.
I do not agree with letting it go or nobody got hurt. I am sorry your are upset Galen.

vampirequeen Sat 22-Nov-14 10:37:44

They're fiddling you. If they counted 81 then you should get 81 back. Even if they could only string 79 for some reason you should still get 81 back as they belong to you.

I don't know the value of a pearl but I bet they use them to make other jewellry.

Did the receipt say how many pearls were handed over? Threaten them with the trading standards or even the police. Keeping two of your pearls is theft.

Ana Sat 22-Nov-14 10:40:13

I suppose the necklace might have been a tiny bit shorter after re-stringing because the old string would have stretched over the years.

But if you have it in writing from the shop that there were 81 pearls, Galen, they haven't got a leg to stand on if there are now only 79! I just hope they 'find' the original missing ones after you've taken the matter up with them.

ffinnochio Sat 22-Nov-14 10:44:54

I'd be angry too, Galen, as they hold such emotional importance to you.
Stay on the case and good luck!

Mishap Sat 22-Nov-14 10:45:42

Hmm - as others have said, do you have some sort of receipt for the pearls when they went to the jewellers in the first place? Does this receipt indicate how many pearls were on the necklace?

It is not right that you have finished up with fewer than you started with and if it were me I would tackle the shop about it.

I can understand why it is upsetting and am sorry to hear that this has happened.

Galen Sat 22-Nov-14 10:51:03

The receipt said 81. I've just contacted them and they can't do anything til Monday as the restringing firm shuts over the weekend. They are always shorter when restrung as the string stretches with time. I have a photo of me wearing them on my wedding day. As well as many informal ones.
I suspect the only compensation I'll get will be monetary and not my original pearls restored!

Galen Sat 22-Nov-14 10:52:20

They agree there were 81 originally

henetha Sat 22-Nov-14 10:54:47

Totally understand how you feel. I too would be upset. They absolutely should and must restore the two missing pearls.

Nelliemoser Sat 22-Nov-14 11:18:51

Galen You are right to be very angry. I would think that if the jewellers agreed to do the job and sent them on to someone else as their "agent" they should still be responsible for the loss and not pass the buck.

Agus Sat 22-Nov-14 11:21:32

I would be very angry too Galen. Having seen the untidiness of a jeweller's workshop, I am hoping they have a good search on Monday and your pearls are found. Fingers crossed.

Galen Sat 22-Nov-14 11:39:23

They are a firm who do restringing for all over the country. So the odd of finding my original pearls are zilch. The most I can hope for is a close approximation to the originals. As they are a very unusual pale pink and perfect also matched for colour and size:- ?
Another complication is that I'm. Away on holiday from Thursday so I wouldn't be able to take them with mez!
If you hear of the Queen Elizabeth sinking you'll know that it was because I hadn't got my pearls with me!

Jane10 Sat 22-Nov-14 11:43:56

How annoying and upsetting for you Galen. On no account let these people off the hook. It might be difficult to locate the missing ones but that no reason why they shouldn't make the effort! How disappointing.