Gransnet forums

Chat

I am really angry!

(51 Posts)
Galen Fri 21-Nov-14 23:47:12

I sent the pearls that were my 21st birthday present from my father to be restrung as they had broken!
They were collected for me this evening and I was warned they would be shorter due to the restringing!
They were however shorter than I expected!
The shop had counted them as 81 graduated pearls! I recounted!
Now only 79!
They were perfectly matched for colour and size and almost flawless! The missing pearls are practically irreplaceable due to their age and colour!
I also wore them at my wedding and my childrens christening!
You all know how I feel about my pearls.
What do I do now?
I'm really upset!

Ana Sat 22-Nov-14 11:58:19

I can't help feeling that the shop should have checked the number of pearls when they came back from the restringing place. Your receipt was for 81 pearls but they only gave you 79 back so the shop is at fault as well!

(No consolation, I know, but it doesn't reflect well on the shop)

rubysong Sat 22-Nov-14 12:09:05

Your agreement was with the shop Galen so it is up to them to sort it out. It is a warning to the rest of us who may send jewellery for repair.
Name and shame if they don't sort it out and we will boycott them and tell them why.
Nevertheless I hope you can enjoy your cruise!

Galen Sat 22-Nov-14 12:12:06

The owner has just phoned. He's coming to collect them from me this evening. I won't have them back in time for the cruise but I will for xmas!
Oh well! Just have to make do with the triple string with the diamond and sapphire clasp that were my DH's last present to me.
OhH and the long rope of pearls with a Rose Quartz bead after every third pearl, and then there's always my red coral and pearl necklace as well!

I do think I kike pearls!

Elegran Sat 22-Nov-14 12:26:09

This is absolutely unacceptable, Galen Keep on stirring it, and mention police and theft and sueing - I don't know about you but this seems to me to be more than just carelessness.

Someone has probably made a nice pair of drop earrings with the two missing ones - it is suspicious that it is two, not one! A nice little earner!

If they farm out their stringing, as they probably do, they have a criminal on their books. That is their responsibility, and it is up to them to do their best to find them and return them to you, and to make sure that the perpetrator receives retribution. Matching them as best they may be the all they can do, but don't settle for that unless there is no other way.

Do NOT let it go. That would be colluding with the lowlife who has misappropriated them.

Elegran Sat 22-Nov-14 12:26:42

Having others is irrelevant.

Galen Sat 22-Nov-14 12:59:56

Well it does mean that I'm not peerless pearless!

Agus Sat 22-Nov-14 14:17:26

Hadn't thought of that Elegran. Strange indeed that it should be two. hmm

I'm afraid I wouldn't be letting go of this one and I would also be having the replacement pearls valued by another jeweller.

henetha Sat 22-Nov-14 16:20:44

There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever, that as you are so (rightfully) upset by the missing pearls, what you urgently need is a personal assistant/secretary/shoulder to cry on/friend (well remunerated of course)on your forthcoming holiday.
I would like to apply for the position, please, and can supply references and a CV forthwith. grin

Galen Sat 22-Nov-14 16:42:49

Would love to have you, particularly as I haven't got a free upgrade this time!
Hence no butler and worse, no free vodka!
Still Princess grill class suites are very nice.

glammanana Sat 22-Nov-14 16:43:07

henetha job title "Keeper of the Pearls" by Royal Appointment. grin

Galen Sat 22-Nov-14 17:17:21

grin
[worried] emoticon. Does that mean I need a separate keeper of the diamonds?

bikergran Sat 22-Nov-14 18:09:23

talking about missing pearls..! something similar but with a watch happened to my mum...she had taken either her gold watch or one of my dads to the jewellers to have something done, I seem to think it came back and they had taken some links out!! she never did find out what happened to the missing links!! if they do things like this with other people.they would have a nifty little sum!!!

Crafting Sat 22-Nov-14 20:04:39

So sorry Galen no wonder you are cross. You would think that if professional people re-strung beads for a living they would have equipment (a tray of some sort!) that made sure they didn't lose any.

I do hope however, that you don't allow this to spoil your birthday cruise. Get really mad when you get home but try and enjoy your cruise. I will probably post on Soops thread but in case I miss you, hope you have a really good time on your cruise and hope you get to meet up with Bella. Will you be able to keep in touch on the cruise? Have access to the forum? Sorry not been on a cruise so don't know what sort of access you have.

absent Sat 22-Nov-14 20:23:19

So sorry to hear this Galen. Responsible jewellers do not simply mislay two valuable pearls. It's the sneakiness that is so upsetting – as well, of course, as the lost integrity of this much treasured present from your father. I do hope that the missing pearls, which sound exquisite, are safely returned. If this had happened to me, I should kick up the most enormous stink. I hope you do too.

Penstemmon Sat 22-Nov-14 21:00:46

There is no replacement for something of such sentimental value. I hope that the 'missing' pearls turn out to be an 'oversight' and that they are returned and restrung and will, waiting for you on your return. I would love to believe it was a genuine mistake / human error and not some sneaky underhand work!

Penstemmon Sat 22-Nov-14 21:01:20

will be waiting!

Galen Sat 22-Nov-14 21:12:52

That's what the jeweller said. I know how the rethread! They lay them out on a grooved tray.
He's contacting the firm ( in Birmingham) on Monday and will try his best!
He does seem genuinely concerned! It's a small local business here that does have a good reputation

NfkDumpling Sun 23-Nov-14 07:26:38

I think Elegran is right. Someone is working a nice little sideline here and your local jeweller (and the stringing firm) stands to get a bad reputation because of it. I wonder how often it happens.

Iam64 Sun 23-Nov-14 08:58:12

So sorry to read this Galen, as others have said, it isn't about money but about something much more important. It's good to hear the jeweller is genuinely concerned, so he should be.

Elegran has probably got it right, someone employed to re-string or repair jewellery has a side line business selling the bits s/he nicks

janerowena Sun 23-Nov-14 14:12:28

I would be livid too, I love my pearls - in fact I re-threaded my own once! It's very to get the knots right but I'm glad I did it now!

What's the betting some nasty little criminal thought no-one would count them. As said, they could make a pair of earrings or - they could save them up over time and make a whole new necklace. I took my silver watch to a jewellers and they sent back the excess links in their own beautiful little bag.

merlotgran Sun 23-Nov-14 14:16:57

I had the same thought. You would certainly notice the difference between, say, 11 and 13 pearls (someone with a very skinny neck grin) but they are probably hoping that no-one would count the larger numbers as it won't appear obvious at first glance.

Nice little earner if you get away with it. angry

Ana Sun 23-Nov-14 14:22:03

You'd have thought the shop, having been scrupulous enough to give Galen a receipt for 81 pearls, would have had a similar arrangement with the restringers.

janerowena Sun 23-Nov-14 16:52:54

All you need is one stupid new apprentice on the make, though I do know that diamonds are counted in and out and also weighed, from a diamond merchant friend.

Galen Sun 23-Nov-14 17:01:51

Waiting to see what happens after he's rung them tomorrow!

rosesarered Sun 23-Nov-14 17:05:02

It may not be a consolation, but I expect you will be refunded by the jeweller.