Gransnet forums

Chat

How far to go in holding back the years?

(78 Posts)
Katek Sun 18-Jan-15 18:03:53

Following in from the Judy Finnegan thread and the obvious dislike of plastic surgery amongst those on the thread, I just wondered how far are we prepared to go to? plastic surgery is apparently not favoured but what about Botox? Fillers? Hair dye? I've had cosmetic work done on my teeth(veneers), have my hair cut and coloured monthly and also have my nails done professionally every three weeks and also leg and eyebrow waxes. Most of my friends/family have their hair dyed as well, my best friend -also in her 60's- has a fab short, spiky cut in a lovely plum colour just now and she looks fab! My nails are currently a fetching shade of midnight blue!

annsixty Sun 18-Jan-15 19:45:20

Well absent I am 77 and I like to think that perhaps other people might possibly say they would like to look like me when they are 77.No older.

rosequartz Sun 18-Jan-15 19:47:18

jings so that is why they dry more quickly in the summer than the winter! I thought it was something to do with the weather.

Ana Sun 18-Jan-15 19:49:20

Do you wake up in the morning with wet legs, then, jingl and rosequartz? Is this something I have to look forward to...?wink

rosequartz Sun 18-Jan-15 19:51:31

ana grin just wait until you're my age!!

Katek Sun 18-Jan-15 20:06:41

I spent most of my life suffering from dreadful self esteem issues due to my disability. It's only very recently that I've felt I'm worth making any effort for. I'm enjoying doing all these things now.

loopylou Sun 18-Jan-15 20:14:19

Well done Katek, that's really good to hear!

Coolgran65 Sun 18-Jan-15 20:18:19

I'm 66. Use nice n easy to colour my blonde hair £5.
Cut every 6 weeks £13.
Get gel nails every 5 weeks because it looks so tidy and I'm hopeless at doing it myself and chips too quickly, also my hands and nails look awful if not professionally done £18. Well worth it.
Garnier moisturizer and baby wipes.
Avon make-up from eBay. Unless ddils buy me a nice gift.

I would love my teeth done/whitened but with a mix of my own teeth, crowns, partial denture that cost a fortune, they probably wouldn't all bleach at the same rate.

Jowls, wrinkles, etc. Wouldn't do anything about it. Just work with what I have.

granjura Sun 18-Jan-15 20:20:16

Years have not been kind to me- I used to be a stunner in the 60s- and in London they all called me Julie (Christie). I have put quite a bit of weight on, and as I have very sensitive skin, jut cannot put make-up on at all without flairing up.

However, I'd like to introduce an other aspect to this. may sound like sour grapes in view of the above- but hey ho. So many of the women I know (but indeed not all!) who still look stunning- hadve often aged immesurably in the heart, mind and soul. I'd love to have kept a young mind and heart AND a youthful figure and amazing skin- but if it has to be a choice, as it seems it is, then I'd go for the former. Women who spend just a little too much time working so hard at looking good- perhaps, have traded the other- it seems at times. I have a few friends who've managed both- and I do envy and admire them.

loopylou Sun 18-Jan-15 20:25:24

Wise words, I would hope for the former as seem to have mislaid the latter! smile

vampirequeen Sun 18-Jan-15 20:31:27

I have just started to go grey so it shines through my brown hair which I quite like. I wash and condition my hair every day with whatever's on special offer. I use moisturiser...atm a Garnier one that was being given away free at Tesco. DH is very cheeky and we ended up with 20 samples lol.

I'm prone to eczema so have gunge from the doctor instead of body lotion.

If plastic surgery was safe, painless and quick like in the film Logan's Run I'd like my boobs lifting so they point in the right direction and don't slip into my armpits when I lay on my back and whilst I'm in the realms of fantasy I'd like to have my body sculpted so that I don't have to diet because the weight will be sculpted off lol.

NanKate Sun 18-Jan-15 20:36:44

I still love putting on make up, just as I did in the 1960s, not masses of it but just enough. In fact the manageress of M & S Food Store in our town kindly complimented me on my complexion. To be honest if she had seen me an hour earlier au naturel her comments would have been very different.

The best decision I made was to have my teeth whitened at my dentists, don't be tempted to do it through a beauty salon as they use a totally different method. It lightened my teeth (yellow from tea and red wine) about 4 shades. I now annually top it up. Money well spent, well I think so anyway.smile

angiebaby Sun 18-Jan-15 21:44:37

dont want to look like mutton dressed as lamb,,,,,,,just take care of ourselves,,,we are all beautiful.........sometimes it helps to have a nice freind to tell us we look beautiful,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,husbands tend to forget when we get older,,,,,,,shame, i have to look in the mirror and tell myself,, i put make up on to brighten me up, not a lot, would like a nice boob job but at 70 thats out of the question,,,cos i would look stupid,,,,,,,,but hey ho,,,,,,lol

NotTooOld Sun 18-Jan-15 22:08:23

Well, I think I'm low maintenance. I have my hair trimmed and roots done every 6-8 weeks, eyebrows and lip waxed monthly. I don't wear much make-up, just foundation, blusher and very occasionally lipstick. I do make sure to use moisturiser morning and night but not the expensive sort. DH prefers a natural look. This preference applies also to himself, meaning he likes not to shave or have his hair cut unless I nag. I still love him though.

Marmight Sun 18-Jan-15 22:49:02

I rarely wear make up and when I do my 'friends' usually comment and say how much better I look!wink. I use moisturiser and hand cream day and night, have my hair cut every 6/7 weeks, the occasional pedicure, have the toes polished in the summer and visit the dentist/hygienist 2x a year. I think that's about the extent of my 'holding back the years' treatment. I don't think I could endure any form of plastic surgery. Why put yourself at risk just for that?

FlicketyB Sun 18-Jan-15 22:55:06

I am fortunate that a characteristic of my father's family is that we do not go very grey until we reach our 70s, unfortunately the pattern of greyness in my mother's family is that the front goes white long, long before the rest so if I didn't colour my hair I would look a bit like an eskimo with a white fur trim around my face, but otherwise dark. Not a good look, so currently I dye my hair using Superdrug best.

Apart from that I do have electrolysis - and have been having since I was about 40. I always use lashings of cheap moisturiser and massage my face for several minutes when I put it on.

I have got to have major dental treatment over the next few months and my dentist has suggested that I have my teeth whitened at the same time and I may go with that. Several of mine have lost most of their dentine and are very brown.

I always think that if you are going to make the effort to buy and wear clothes you might as well buy items that become you, so I still take as much care with the clothes I buy as I always did.

rosequartz Sun 18-Jan-15 23:02:16

I have never been a stunner, but by some miracle I have two stunning DDs - and a goodlooking DS so I am happy with that!

oldgirl2 Sun 18-Jan-15 23:24:34

I am 64 and have my hair cut and coloured every 5/6 weeks. I have used Elizabeth Arden face creams ever since I can remember, and Bobby Brown make-up.....every day. I wax lip and chin myself and pluck dailygrin and shave elsewhere regularly. I am still slim(ish) but it's a case of being comfortable with myself not looking younger.

NanKate Mon 19-Jan-15 07:04:48

FlicketyB do go with the teeth whitening it makes such a subtle difference and you can top up annually to keep up the effect.

suzied Mon 19-Jan-15 07:55:34

I have my hair cut and coloured, eyebrows and upper lip threaded, shave and pluck elsewhere, use aldi serum and a tinted factor 60 sunblock moisturiser whatever the weather, have regular manicure and pedicure and take care of my wardrobe. I keep fit. It doesn't make me any younger, but I am sure I look better than women of the same age did in previous generations.

GillT57 Mon 19-Jan-15 08:59:47

Hair cut and coloured at hairdresser every five weeks, gel manicure every 4 weeks, lip wax and eyebrow shape every 3-4 weeks. Light make up every day, make up off every night. Never go out without earrings or spray of perfume. I may be a bit overweight, but want to be presentable if plump, not a fat old bird.

thatbags Mon 19-Jan-15 09:35:29

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing shameful about looking old so I don't try to "hold back the years". I just keep clean and neat. If someone finds something to criticise about that, then there's something wrong with them, not me.

janerowena Mon 19-Jan-15 09:38:29

I feel very ignorant, that is the second time I have noticed the phrase 'gel manicure' and I have no idea what it is!

kittylester Mon 19-Jan-15 10:05:21

I've just looked in the mirror and I am, patently, not doing enough!! sad

henetha Mon 19-Jan-15 10:13:10

The very last words my mother said to me on her death bed was
"Don't let your hair go grey".
I carried out her wishes for years, but now, at 77, have at long last let nature take it's course. But I hate it and am longing to go bright ginger or blonde or purple!
But I honestly do think I am too old now.
As for my face, well apart from tinted moisturiser, I let nature take it's course there too.
The years have not been kind! sad

janerowena Mon 19-Jan-15 10:15:26

I asked my daughter (who will be 30 this weekend) this morning what she thinks is the most aging thing about older women, what she notices the most.

I was surprised. She said it is those women whose hair is going grey, and the grey hairs are crinklier than the rest and they stick up out of their hairstyles. She said it looks really untidy and they should use gel to smooth them, or tongs to straighten them in with the rest, because young women don't have that problem so it sticks out like a sore thumb.