Gransnet forums

Chat

Giving us "--not so-- oldies " a bad name

(31 Posts)
Soutra Tue 27-Jan-15 18:18:27

I hate the habit many commuters have of appropriating a double train seat to themselves by dumping their briefcase or laptop on it and pretending not to see the rest of us looking for a seat. But today took the biscuit- train back from London at 3.50. So going to be busy as it is one of the last "off peak" trains until after 7. Elderly couple (well at least 10 years older than us I reckoned) climb aboard, she takes the outside seat of one pair while he sits diagonally opposite also on the outside seat. Quite soon somebody sits next to him 'Oh excuse me, is that taken? Oh thank you SO much blah blah" in the meantime she is giving the death stare to everyone who even glances hopefully at the seat next to her! There are people standing by the door, does the dragon let up? No. Eventually she graciously offers the seat to a "nice young man" who is suitably grateful and humble. She may have realised that she could fare worse, there was a very fat man also looking hopeful. FFS! Why are people so blankety blank selfish? If you want a double seat, but two tickets! And in any case if you don't want to mix with the hoi polloi , sit with your DH, so if you are a Gransnetter , dragon face and read this you know who you are.

Galen Wed 28-Jan-15 11:09:54

This trip to York is 4 hours! I couldn't do it in a standard seat. I have reserved one that is close to the WC as with my balance, walking on a moving train is not easyjet!

Galen Wed 28-Jan-15 11:11:04

I typed easy? Where did the easyjet come from? Ipad! I'm the one travelling, not you!

Marmight Wed 28-Jan-15 11:42:18

On some journeys it's cheaper to travel First class. Our station master always works out the best option, which is great. I travelled First by default last year on a journey from Edinburgh to Cheltenham. I was in a carriage full of happy, singing, dancing teenagers on a school trip, so asked if there was a seat in the 'quiet' carriage. There wasn't one on that service, but the Train Manager took pity on me, picked up my luggage and trotted me down to First for free! It was bliss - free wifi and cups of tea and biccies.
I object to sitting opposite, usually a man, who has his legs stretched out under the table and under my seat. I take great delight in accidentally kicking their ankles.....

janerowena Wed 28-Jan-15 12:40:13

I don't allow it, the taking up of two seats, I just move their bags onto their laps and sit down.

Re the first class, I do know that sometimes people will buy up a whole compartment and have 'reserved' stickers on the windows, so that they can travel in peace.

I too hate the legs invading my space, but I do sympathise with them. Wouldn't we all like to be able to spread ourselves out - but we can't. However, the seats are at the right height for my legs, not for those men with much longer legs. It's like me sitting on a child's tricycle.

The worst example of manspreading was when we booked a whole table for us so that we could travel back from Newcastle to London with a 5 year old and an eight year old at 6pm. Two businessmen were on our table, clearly marked with our names and they were removing them! They refused to give us our table and seats. As we had just passed the guard as we moved down the train in search of our carriage, I stood there with the children, glaring at them and repeatedly asking them to give us back our seats while DBH went to fetch the guard, who took one look at the tired children and forced the men to go elsewhere. It made me wonder how many other people suffer from such rudeness. Why on earth hadn't they booked?

henbane Thu 29-Jan-15 18:16:53

If people don't move bags from seats when the train is busy, I just sit on the bags.