Gransnet forums

Chat

Katie Price and state benefits

(36 Posts)
Katek Thu 29-Jan-15 09:49:35

Lots of agitation over on FB re Katie Price receiving benefits for her disabled son, Harvey. The majority seem to support her. Thoughts??

rosequartz Sun 01-Feb-15 23:13:42

By the way, that is not 'hate mail' (why would you expect 'hate mail' for expressing an opinion?) confused

Just curiosity.

rosequartz Sun 01-Feb-15 23:10:53

I am puzzled as to why anyone would deprive their children of a school meal to which they were entitled?

annsixty Sun 01-Feb-15 20:19:16

I find you very judgemental angiebaby and obviously able to cope financially with your situation. Others are not so fortunate and I cannot critisise them for claiming what they are entitled to by current rules. In my childhood if my mother hadn't claimed free school meals for me I may not have had lunch those days. I do not often refer to my childhood but in this instance I "am coming out".

angiebaby Sun 01-Feb-15 19:31:54

dont send any hate mail i dont need it,,,,,,,,,,,,im just voicing my opinion,,,thanks,

angiebaby Sun 01-Feb-15 19:30:11

i saw celeb big brother when katie price, a glamour model page three girl ....said that the goverment pays for a taxi to take harvey her son to school,,,katie hopkins said ...why dont you take your son yourself,,, katie price said,,,,DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST ME,,,,,,,,a thousand pounds a week. katie hopkins said,,well you can afford it...whay are you taking goverment money when its in such a state,,,,,,,,,katie price didnt say too much after that, if i was megga rich like katie price i wouldnt even think of claiming peanuts from the goverment, even if i was entitled to it,. i would start a special needs school nearby if i needed it.....sorry i am on katie hopkins side,,,,and quite right,,,get hold of harveys farther..might i add, i was a single mum 2 children,,,i never asked anyone for anything, i didnt even apply for free school meals that i was entitled to,

GillT57 Sun 01-Feb-15 14:41:58

Rose and Anya my point exactly. Why pick on the mother? Where is the overpaid footballer that fathered him? Not interested after getting the kudos of sleeping with Katie Price ( Jordan as she was then) I expect.

rosequartz Sun 01-Feb-15 10:22:15

Precisely anya.
The wefare bill for the taxpayer would be much lower if feckless fathers contributed to the costs of bringing up children they abandon.

Anya Sun 01-Feb-15 08:09:54

Why is Katie Price the one getting all the flack? Delight York is worth millions, where is his contribution?

Jaxie Sun 01-Feb-15 07:40:01

Grans, You are lovely. I have a tendency to resent rich people, as I had a very difficult childhood being brought up by a disabled single mother in poverty, patronised by middle class teachers in the girls' grammar school I was fortunate enough to attend, and never accepted by the middle class pupils there. When I read of Katie Price's accepting state benefit for her son I was dead against her. But reading this thread has changed my mind. Katie appears to be a tiger mother for he son, and for this I salute her, and you sympathetic grans out there.

seasider Sat 31-Jan-15 23:14:55

Katie Price will be a higher rate tax payer and she employs people to help run her businesses . In the area I live there are many who see benefits as a way of life and have never paid any tax . They will claim anything and everything they can. The media interest in this story will highlight the plight of other children like Harvey.

Jamaloka Sat 31-Jan-15 20:31:31

I don't think that anyone could disagree with Harvey having all the help he needs to cope with his disabilities and to live an enjoyable life and that Katie seems to be a very good. loving mother who wants the best for her child.
The point being made and discussed by many is that Katie can well afford to fund his needs herself. It is a moral issue not one of entitlement because taxes have been paid.
In her position I could not justify taking the money at a time when the country is struggling to pay the welfare bill. The more people claim when they are not in need means that there is less to help those who are in desperate need.

Nelliemoser Sat 31-Jan-15 10:15:03

He is a very disabled child with behavioural issues which need a lot of support of course he should get the money.

www.reveal.co.uk/showbiz-celeb-gossip/news/a582871/pregnant-katie-price-talks-disabled-son-harvey-

"Having a child with disabilities is hard work and I would not change it for anything," said 36-year-old Katie. "Harvey has so much medication each day and if he doesn't, he'd die basically."

Harvey has a string of disabilities including blindness, autism, ADHD and Prader-Willi syndrome (a genetic disorder meaning he's likely to eat to excess)."
He will continue to need a lot of care all his life.

Lona Sat 31-Jan-15 09:54:26

Soutra I agree angry

Soutra Sat 31-Jan-15 09:47:24

Hear hear about the ghastly Katie Hopkins. I am a gentle soul, but I was beside myself with truly violent emotions when she said patronisingly
"ginger babies, just like real babies but so much harder to love"
angry (actually angry doesn't come close!)

Eloethan Sat 31-Jan-15 00:39:13

I agree with the statement that "FlicketyB* posted from the Independent.

This young boy has profound disabilities and it's not Katie Price's fault that there is no suitable school nearby. I wouldn't criticise wealthy people who use the NHS or send their children to a state school (although I would hope they pay the appropriate amount of tax). Personally, I rather admire them for staying within the system.

It's just that ghastly Katie Hopkins stirring it up again - there's nothing she likes better than starting a hate campaign.

Deedaa Fri 30-Jan-15 22:23:27

On the one hand I can't help thinking that Katie Price could well finance her own son if she cut back on her spending on her horses. On the other hand I think it is probably a good thing that Harvey is seen to need this assistance as who knows what may happen in the future? At least he is on someone's radar as having special needs and, however exotic his mother's life becomes, there should always be help available for him.

Iam64 Fri 30-Jan-15 19:16:33

What a positive thread, I'm another one who agrees that Harvey is entitled to the same support as other children with similar needs. I share the concern about the distance he has to travel to a special school that can meet his needs.

Katie Price has worked hard to publicise the needs of children with disability and I've never heard her moan about the difficulties she must face in caring for Harvey alongside her other children (and managing her difficult personal life) As whenim said earlier, KP tried to get a unit set up locally.

rosequartz Fri 30-Jan-15 10:02:12

I presume she is paying her taxes - unlike many slebs - so I don't see why she should not claim on behalf of Harvey.

We had our fuel allowance, but probably gave the equivalent to charity. KP may well do the same, and more.

rubylady Fri 30-Jan-15 01:02:58

Just a point - if people who could afford not to take the benefits they are entitled to because they can easily afford it themselves, then surely this money could be used to keep schools open which would be nearer to Harvey? If people are taking all money entitled, how is there supposed to be enough in the pot to keep schools open? And my son's school closed down too, causing the spiral of awful education and assaults my son had after this. Two other primary schools, one secondary for one year, five assaults, four years home school. So yes, we have suffered these cut backs terribly. But hey, if you're rich, still help to close down schools and let children suffer. I wish I had 40 million in the bank and still claim benefits. I do claim benefits and would have to account for any extra penny that came into my home.

FlicketyB Thu 29-Jan-15 17:46:03

Rosie Millard covers this subject superbly in todays Independent www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/lay-off-katie-price--shes-entitled-to-state-help-for-her-disabled-son-10008994.html.

To quote '....surely on of the great standpoints of our society, at least since the end of the last war, is that there are some benefits that are universal. Education, health, literacy, policing, ambulances.............If we, as a nation, feel that the well off should be precluded from the assistance of the state, then we cannot complain when they pull a way.....

and live in their own little exclusive world.

I couldn't say it better myself, so I haven't.

merlotgran Thu 29-Jan-15 11:36:45

It's sad that her marriage to Peter Andre didn't last. He was a kind and caring stepfather to Harvey.

I agree with everything that has already been said.

tanith Thu 29-Jan-15 11:34:22

I have no problem with her claiming what her son is fully entitled to ....

soontobe Thu 29-Jan-15 11:33:09

I think this is the first thread I have seen on gransnet since I joined, where everyone is in agreement!

I agree with all of the above!

Retiredguy Thu 29-Jan-15 11:29:49

Good luck to Katie Price.
She works hard and pays her taxes and rates which cover these essential services so why should she have to pay again?
According to yesterday's paper her local council closed down special schools in the area in favour of taxi-ing pupils out to another borough because that was cheaper so it's not Katie Prices's fault that it is a long way for her son to travel to school by taxi.

Katek Thu 29-Jan-15 11:00:47

Mishap she was also known as Jordan if that's any help