Gransnet forums

Chat

Katie Price and state benefits

(35 Posts)
Mishap Thu 29-Jan-15 10:51:28

I do not know who Katie Price is! - but I assume from the comments that she is rich. These benefits are rightly not means-tested but based on health needs. Her child is entitled to them.

whenim64 Thu 29-Jan-15 10:47:16

I agree with these comments. The funding is for Harvey, not his parents. It was reported yesterday that Katie Price tried to get a local special needs unit set up, to help other children as well as Harvey, but it was swimming against the tide when so many of these units have been closing. I find it distressing to think that Harvey has to endure a 50 mile round trip by taxi each day to receive the education he needs. Why local schools can't just add on a special needs unit so the children are nearer home, I can't fathom. Nearby in Trafford local authority, there are several primary and high schools with special needs units integrated, so the children all go to school together where possible. At least one I know of has catered for a range of needs, from social communication for high functioning children on the autistic spectrum to children with profound learning disabilities who have 1:1 support.

GillT57 Thu 29-Jan-15 10:08:09

She certainly is not empty headed, and as she pays her taxes she is fully entitled to help with her son who has profound disabilities. These benefits are for her son, nor for her, and I dont think anyone wants to start seeing these kind of benefits being means tested. Also, her son has two parents, why are people attacking Katie Price? Why not the over paid footballer that fathered the child?

petallus Thu 29-Jan-15 10:06:05

Agree

Katek Thu 29-Jan-15 10:01:56

I totally agree with you Glamma, she's no empty headed bimbo.

glammanana Thu 29-Jan-15 10:00:23

KateK I have read all about it in media and saw the programme where she gave her reasons and I fully support her choice but there will be many who will disagree because of her previous earnings and her future earning potential.She is a very astute business woman and has always worked since she was 15 for everything she has got and paid her taxes along the way,and it is not her fault that the schools near to her home have been closed and her boy goes to the nearest one available to help with his needs,the cost surely is off weighed by the fact she pays for schooling for two of her other children thus saving the Local Authority X amount of £s per year.

Katek Thu 29-Jan-15 10:00:21

Likewise Jings! Thinking seems to be that she probably pays a huge amount in tax and she hasn't left the country to avoid it - like so many others - so why shouidn't she claim. She may have started off as a 'glamour' model but I think Ms Price has a very astute business brain underneath it all.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 29-Jan-15 09:52:55

Well, I take our fuel allowance, although we could manage fine without it. I'm not throwing any stones. hmm

loopylou Thu 29-Jan-15 09:52:36

I see no reason why KP shouldn't receive benefits for Harvey. The costs involved when caring for anyone disabled can be substantial especially when 24 hour care is needed.

Katek Thu 29-Jan-15 09:49:35

Lots of agitation over on FB re Katie Price receiving benefits for her disabled son, Harvey. The majority seem to support her. Thoughts??