Gransnet forums

Chat

Birth partner to daughter

(31 Posts)
apricot Wed 04-Mar-15 19:53:28

I heard Esther Rantzen say she was going to be this. Personally I'm appalled at the idea of anyone's mother being there during the most painful and undignified hours of her life.
I didn't even have my husband present at any of my births. My mother wouldn't have been much use as apparently her own babies came from the stork, sex and birth were never ever mentioned.
My daughters all had their partners there, as has been the norm for many years and I don't know any of their generation who choose to have her mum present.
What do grannies think of their daughters or granddaughters having their mums in at the birth?

harrigran Wed 04-Mar-15 23:50:51

I had my first baby in hospital on my own, husbands weren't welcome anyway. My second was born at home but DH still did not stay with me, downstairs I had MIL, an ambulance and a telephone engineer. I would not have had my mother there. DIL had CSs for each one and only DS was at the hospital.
I don't think it should be a spectator sport.

numberplease Thu 05-Mar-15 00:08:16

I wouldn`t have wanted my mother there, but it`s a matter of personal preference. My first 3 were born in hospital, and husbands weren`t allowed in in those days. The other 2 were born at home, hubby was there for both, in fact, he was at work when I went into labour with one of them, I rang him before the midwife! He only worked five minutes away, but only just beat the midwife, and only just made it for the baby, I had all mine fairly quickly.

Bellasnana Thu 05-Mar-15 07:14:03

I was quite surprised when DD2 wanted both myself and DD3 with her throughout her labour and delivery. Her DH was also present, but she didn't want him there when she had the epidural and held my hands instead.

Watching my own child deliver her precious little girl was, without doubt, one of the most wonderful moments of my life, and I am grateful to DD2 for allowing me the privilege.

Personally, I would not have wanted my own dear Mum present during my four deliveries as she had a tendency to panic. DH was by my side and that was perfect smile

janeainsworth Thu 05-Mar-15 08:10:17

Hilda what a moving post flowers

Mishap Thu 05-Mar-15 10:29:26

It is indeed a privilege - but also slightly harrowing seeing one's own child in pain. I sometimes wish I had had boys, so I could have the joy of GC without my dear children having to be in pain!