Gransnet forums

Chat

Australians needing UK car insurance

(37 Posts)
Eleanorre Sun 08-Mar-15 08:49:16

I know this is a long shot but wondered if anyone has any advice . My DBIL and his wife have a mobile home in the UK and have visited for four months each summer from their home in Australia . They always buy and old car and run it while they are here then sell it when they go. Up until now a relative of theirs stuck them on his business insurance and that was fine but in hindsight they probably were not covered if he did not say they did not live in the UK. Now that route is not possible they are finding it impossible to get a company to insure them as they do not live here the rest of the year. We tried adding them to our car insurance and lending them one of our cars but on that basis we were turned down flat. They found a company for Australia residents but as DBIL is 77 they said he was too old . They have tried Saga and other companies and have had no luck. If they have to hire a car instead of using their own ( already bought ) they will curtail their holiday because of the expense. Where they live there is no public transport. We did try an insurance broker but he was not much help either. Any thoughts folks ?

DaphneBroon Mon 25-Jul-16 22:09:20

Totally irrelevant
Oh and reported.

Janewhitesg Sat 14-May-22 15:57:50

We are looking for a way to insure our son who lives in Australia on our car when he visits in a couple of weeks. Our current insurance company can't insure him as he no longer has a UK driving licence (expired a couple of months ago. He does have an Australian driving licence. Can anyone advise me where to look please?

driverfixlicensekey Fri 02-Jun-23 14:23:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 02-Jun-23 15:38:47

I’m sure that my BIL used his Motor Insurance company in Australia to insure him over here, when he used to come over for long holidays.

ParlorGames Fri 02-Jun-23 15:48:24

Can't the BIL just rent a car whilst visiting the UK? Surely that's no different to when any one of us goes abroad and hires a car.

PamelaJ1 Fri 02-Jun-23 17:19:40

When DD and DSin law visit we put them on our insurance and they drive our car. Never had a problem.
DD used to have a U.K. licence, S in L never has.
It doesn’t cost much, I think last time it was about £30.

Grammaretto Fri 02-Jun-23 17:29:04

I lent my car to my NZ son for a few months last summer while he was in the UK. I rang my insurance company who asked me a few questions (his licence number, age and driving history) and then offered me a new policy with him on it for a year and charged me £100 less than I was currently paying for comprehensive insurance.
I was delighted!

Calendargirl Fri 02-Jun-23 19:27:33

This thread is 8 years old!

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 02-Jun-23 19:33:23

Calendargirl

This thread is 8 years old!

Oops

Grammaretto Sat 03-Jun-23 07:43:30

Ha ha! I didn't notice Calendargirl

Juliet27 Sat 03-Jun-23 07:56:03

When my Australian daughter in law rented a car here she put her Australian address and the young guy dealing with the rental asked if that was in the EU. Bless him.