Gransnet forums

Chat

Naturism - would you, could you?

(81 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Jun-15 15:29:44

Not sure if anyone else read this on the BBC News site. www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33286120

Fascinating - I particularly liked the line (about one nudist resort) "There's even a dry cleaner - I don't know what they dry clean though"

Seat covers presumably grin grin grin

I imagine that it must be very liberating - whether I would do it in front of a bunch of strangers though? To use a cliche...pigs will fly

J52 Mon 29-Jun-15 18:41:07

Just read this thread to DH. We started with serious discussion, but are now laughing!
x

annodomini Mon 29-Jun-15 19:07:24

Went with my sister to a 'clothes optional' place in NZ. We opted for clothes and I must say that the ones who went without really didn't have the bodies one would want to ogle.

apricot Mon 29-Jun-15 19:09:23

There's nothing to stop anyone lying naked in their garden or whilst stoking the barbecue (ouch) but you'd have to be an exhibitionist to do it in public. Like a small boy drawing willies on the wall and shouting, "Look at me!"

feetlebaum Mon 29-Jun-15 19:22:23

@Jingles - "Surely, the sight of breasts and private parts are meant to excite members of the opposite sex?"

When you've seen a few, you've seen the lot... Nudity is not usually erotic - at least, not without adornment of the right kind. After all, it's thought that the wearing of anything other than skins for warmth emerged as the very antithesis of modesty in early man - it was to draw attention, not fend it off.

However, the male will still receive and react to the basic mating signal - which is seldom to be seen on a naturist beach - the female's raised hindquarters.

Elegran Mon 29-Jun-15 19:27:27

Was that the Isle de Levant, mishap ? I was there with DH when we were both young and foolish. We went over out of curiosity, to see just what a nudist island was like - we thought the nudists would be in a camp somewhere, but the whole island was naked. We weren't really prepared for the topless girl at the kiosk at the rudimentary jetty, let alone the full frontals walking about. I felt overdressed in my teeny weeny yellow (but not polka-dot) bikini. Removed the top but wasn't brave enough to bare all.

After a quarter of an hour, we didn't even notice whether people were totally nekkid or were wearing "le minimum". A gorgeous tanned couple both with long black hair walked toward us, and after they were past we commented on their native-american type headbands, then asked each other "Were they wearing anything else?"

It would have been paradise - but wandering about the sand dunes were a lot of solitary plump white slugs of males with binoculars and cameras with telephoto lenses slung around their necks.

J52 Mon 29-Jun-15 19:28:09

When I was an Art student, in the first term we had 6 weeks of life drawing. It was strictly time tabled from 9.am until 6 pm. Every day.

I think I saw enough of other people's bodies to last me a lifetime!

x

trisher Mon 29-Jun-15 19:35:27

Visited the nudist end of a beach once. Found it rather strange. There seemed to be quite a few couples with a considerable age difference the middle aged man much older than his female partner. Or maybe it was just that they stood out because the girls seemed to do a lot of prancing about. I only stripped off while lying down. Would I do it now? No.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 19:43:00

"the female's raised hindquarters"! And how often do you see that at the local nightclub? More like over-exposed boobs, I would have thought.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 19:43:45

Are we wandering off the OP now? confused

downtoearth Mon 29-Jun-15 19:48:44

Not in public and in the home always wear something to prevent chafing.......rubber gloves...its how I do the housework..just be careful where you splash the beach..grin

Ana Mon 29-Jun-15 19:48:45

I bet mrcurious is loving this thread|! grin

Mishap Mon 29-Jun-15 19:52:48

The island was off the coast of the then Yugoslavia. It did not take long to get used to the nudity. To start with you were very conscious of the direction in which your eyes were drifting, and conversations involved gazing into people's eyes to be sure you were not thought to be sizing them up. This was a very primitive island with no facilities, so I did not have to endure the sight of naked people pushing their trolleys round the supermarket or sitting in cafes.

I have to say I was not bothered about getting my kit of - bodies are bodies. But, in retrospect, I think I should not have sent my parents a PC saying that we were going to a nudist island tomorrow. As a parent I now realise what a worry that might have been to them!

downtoearth Mon 29-Jun-15 19:56:18

wouldn't you have to carry a towel to sit on chairs etc ...I would think of nothing but whose dirty bottom and dribbly bits had sat there previously..

thatbags Mon 29-Jun-15 20:06:51

I've done skinny dipping from an island in the Andaman Sea after dark. We then slept, with clothes on but not many (one doesn't need many in the tropics) on the beach on spread out sarongs and watched the firmament passing overhead. We were aware of dozens, if not hundreds, of crabs scuttling around us.

Iam64 Mon 29-Jun-15 20:08:46

I love swimming without a cozzie and often wander to the nudist part of the beach to take off the cozzie, slip in for a swim, put the cozzie back on and wander back to the clothed bit of the beach to lie in the sun.

I don't think I'm shy about being nekkid but I don't want to stay on the nudist part of the beach because some folks seem to be there for posing purposes. No, they aren't the beautiful youngsters either grin

Ana Mon 29-Jun-15 20:09:22

'Dribbly bits'! Love it, downtoearth...grin

Judthepud2 Mon 29-Jun-15 20:11:53

downtoearth grin

Once in my hey day I would have considered it. No way would I now! The thought of swimming without clothes in the warm Med is appealing but not in front of strangers though. Wouldn't inflict the remnants of my left boob on anyone sad

petra Mon 29-Jun-15 20:15:44

After the first few hours, you don't think about anyone's bits and pieces.

apricot Tue 30-Jun-15 20:43:52

I've done life drawing and sculpture and the models were usually very narcissistic. You can't learn how a body is put together when it's clothed and I never found it any more erotic than drawing plants. It surprised me that outsiders assumed it was titillating.
The men in the class tended to exaggerate a female model's boobs.

bramblelover Tue 30-Jun-15 21:06:41

We went to Greece for our 35th wedding anniversary . We wanted to snorkel but discovered that the only interesting rocks were at the nudist part of the beach which was split into 3 parts - fully clothed/topless/ nude. So we snorkelled wearing only our flippers. Actually it felt great and after a couple of minutes I had forgotten we were actually nude. Told the kids about it on our return and they all thought what we had done was "really cool". Any suggestions for our 50th which is in a,couple if years time?

Ana Tue 30-Jun-15 21:17:41

Yes. Avoid brambles if you're thinking of rambling in the nude! grin

downtoearth Tue 30-Jun-15 21:37:00

that's Scotland out then....always reminds me of a Two Ronnies sketch

Land of the stormy weather
land of the prickly heather
So keep your knees together
Down in the glen

for some reason stuck in my mind for years grin

Ana Tue 30-Jun-15 21:42:23

You wouldn't want to get caught short there, would you? grin

downtoearth Tue 30-Jun-15 21:55:21

Defo Ana....but that also reminds me of a rhyme the kids used to sing,to the tune of An English country garden

what do you do
if you want to do a poo
in an Englsh country garden
you find a fig leaf
to wipe your underneath
in an English country garden

more verses not appropriate grin

downtoearth Tue 30-Jun-15 21:56:45

sorry wine fingers [ blush].....grin