Gransnet forums

Chat

It went down, and now we can't put it up again!

(36 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 19-Jul-15 13:09:26

The roof of my car, Iris sad

We did our usual Saturday social, meeting up with friends at the pub for Racing Club (it'a actually the only time we ever seem to go out.) I have non alcoholic ginger beer, and Mr P has a a pint or three.

When we got into the car to come home, it was like an oven in it as I had forgotten to park in the shade. So, to stop getting all hot and bothered, himself decided that we would have the roof down. Pressed the button, whirr click whirr, down it came. We drove home, admiring the beautiful hedgerows, wild honeysuckle blooming, lovely smell of the meadow sweet etc.

Parked up outside, pressed the button to put the roof back up, & nothing. Mr P checked the hydraulic fluid and found it was low. Luckily we had some, but putting it in is a right pain, involving a syringe and a length of plastic tubing confused The angle of approach involved all sorts of contortions. It did not go down well that my main concern was centered around how much bottom cleavage that he appeared to be revealing. blush I think he said "Darling don't worry about that!" , but I may have misheard, due to the fact that the boot lid had just come crashing down on him.

Somehow Mr P managed to drop the cap of the thing behind the reservoir and couldn't get his arm in to retrieve it. I then had a go, as my arms are thinner. I could just feel it, but as I tried to grip it, it fell further down.

Mr P had an idea! smile He would use one of the 2 magnetic blocks that he uses to clean the glass on the aquarium. I dashed in to get them. Unfortunately, as he squeezed his arm into the gap, he dropped the magnet. confused He then decided to use the OTHER block to retrieve the FIRST block, and the metal cap of the tank for the hydraulic reservoir.

The area in question is now home to TWO magnets, and of course the original missing cap.

Our car mad neighbours from either side came out to laugh try to help.

They offered various potential solutions, one of which involved a THIRD magnet on a string. Simon produced a magnet, a garden cane and some string. It reminded me a bit of one of those "hook the duck" stalls one sees at the fair. Simon proceeded to dangle, and discovered that it was attracted to anything metal that it came across, such as any bit of the car. Richard suggested disconnecting the battery then reconnecting it. I suppose it is the equivalent of the "turn it off, then on again" theory.

For some reason, the whole thing had started to remind me of that song, "Paddy McGinty's Goat", as in "pushing it, shoving it etc". Call me uncanny, or hypersensitive to others feelings, but somehow I just knew that now was not the time to start singing. I went indoors and had a glass of wine.

Feeling guilty, I went out with cans of beer to refresh the troops. By now they were running out of ideas, but they did all come up with a plan for removing the damn ash trees that blight our gardens. It involved a chainsaw (of course) and some sort of bosun's chair slung between the trees. I didn't ask HOW they intended to sling it, but no doubt all will become clear next weekend. I may well go out that day.

So Iris is still roofless, but we did manage to use a motor bike cover (supplied by Richard) to cover her up so that when it rained (which it did) hopefully none will get in.

Please cross things that it doesn't rain tomorrow, as I can't quite see myself driving to work holding an umbrella over my head.

Nonnie Mon 20-Jul-15 17:01:01

Hydraulic fluid? I didn't know about that, maybe that is why mine keeps sticking? DH keeps spraying WD40 on it without much luck.

yogagran Mon 20-Jul-15 19:47:22

luckygirl I had a pop up tent which often defeated us, it needs a sort of twisting movement as though you're trying to turn it into a figure eight shape. Try looking on You Tube for helpful videos

Anne58 Mon 20-Jul-15 19:50:24

Nonnie if I remember rightly you have a Peugeot?

Now I have no idea where the reservoir tank thingy is on a Peugeot, but it has to be more easily accessible than it is on my car!

It seems that the 2 most likely causes for the roof having a hissy fit not going up or down or indeed sticking halfway are either a low level of hydraulic fluid, or an electrical fault somewhere within the circuitry.

Get your manual out, or if you google it, there will more than likely be a Youtube video showing how to access it and fill it. (With a Peugeot it should be ok to use a gen. purp. one from Halfords, at least that is what I remember the jolly nice lad from Halfords telling me last year!

Go with topping up the hydraulic fluid first then if that hasn't worked, consider the electrics.

Please bear in mind that if the level of the fluid has gone pretty low, it can take several attempts to get it going again as it may have taken air in, so don't automatically assume that if it doesn't work after you've topped up the fluid, then it must be a circuit problem, just keep trying it, it can take quite a bit of time.

(Get me!, Phoenix the mechanic/AA person grin ) Well, I probably was the only GN member who found that Father Christmas had left her a digital air compressor confused and they say that romance is dead!)

Deedaa Mon 20-Jul-15 22:17:04

Father Christmas has been spoiling you phoenix grin

Anne58 Tue 21-Jul-15 08:21:59

Don't know why this has suddenly come to mind, but it wasn't Paddy McGinty's goat at all, it was Delaney's Donkey!

NfkDumpling Tue 21-Jul-15 08:32:52

Perhaps next time you should all jump up and down on the car to clear the airlock? Just to add to the neighbours entertainment. grin. Did you manage to retrieve all the magnets and the cap? Did I miss that bit?

(Have you started a blog yet? I feel sure you could make a fortune. Another Jack!)

Anne58 Wed 22-Jul-15 11:32:58

Hello Nfk ! I'm afraid that cap has temporarily been replaced by a shaved down wine bottle cork that I just had lying around blush

I still haven't started a blog, I keep meaning to do it, (I think I would enjoy the challenge!) but I am writing copy for a section of the work website and an extra blog that my boss is planning to start soon.

He already blogs about various woodworking stuff, but we both feel that there is a place for a blog "written" by Laylah the labrador!

He bet me that I couldn't do it, grin so I went home and 30 minutes later sent it to him!

The comment next morning was "edit it by about a third, then write five more" shock

However we have both been extra busy with organising things for a two week summer school that we are running with some famous woodworking chap who is coming over from America.

I might post the bit I have written so far on here, but with some of the names changed!

shysal Wed 22-Jul-15 12:08:14

I look forward to reading the blog, Phoenix smile

MiniMouse Wed 22-Jul-15 12:11:26

Oh yes, please do that phoenix! It's so good to hear your happiness in your new job shining through in your recent posts smile

Anne58 Wed 22-Jul-15 12:34:01

T'is done! grin