Gransnet forums

Chat

Wind in the willows( minus the wind.)

(32 Posts)
rosesarered Tue 21-Jul-15 16:25:16

Just spent two happy hours messing about, not in, but next to the river(Thames )we often go for a long walk by the river, do a sort of loop and end up at a good pub where the pint of beer shandy is the best in the world.
There we sit and watch the boats and the people go by, and have a rest.
There are so many lovely riverside walks in this area, which you can start and end almost anywhere, Oxford, Marlow ,Henley and Abingdon-on Thames.
Next to living near the sea, living near the river is the next best thing.Do you live near a river? which One? Do you walk by it, fish, or take a boat out?

numberplease Tue 21-Jul-15 17:07:16

We live on a river bank, but to be really correct, it`s not a river, but a canal, although they`re called drains around here. It`s correct name is the Maud Foster Drain, and it`s several miles long, we live at the end of it, just before it ends at the sluice, leading into the River Haven, which flows down to the sea, in The Wash. My husband used to fish down the bank opposite our front foor, but hasn`t done for a while now. It`s not as attractive as it was when we moved in 30 years ago, a lot more residents have cars now, and the bank has become a car park. Sad really.

numberplease Tue 21-Jul-15 17:09:14

PS, there`s a photo in my profile album of the view from our front door, carefully taken not to show the parked cars.

Marmight Tue 21-Jul-15 17:25:38

I live by the sea but it's also an estuary Firth, so I sort of live by a river as well. I don't think I could ever not live by water. Used to sail on it with late DH and will be crabbing in the rock pools with the dgcs when they arrive later this week sunshine

petra Tue 21-Jul-15 17:34:57

Lived on a boat on the East coast for 20 years. Before and after that I have always been able to walk to the coast.
I hate being away from the water.

KatyK Tue 21-Jul-15 17:50:48

I live near a canal. Quite pretty considering where are in Birmingham. The canal is at directly the back of our house and when we are in the garden we can hear ducks and the occasional boat going by. Yesterday we walked to our local pub over the canal bridge which is also at the back of our house. There is always something interesting to see. Yesterday we saw a heron on the bank. We get fishermen sitting on the bank most days. We have seen canoeists and such like. The Rivers and Canal Trust (or whatever the correct name is) keep the place reasonably nice and tidy. I like it smile

NanKate Tue 21-Jul-15 22:02:19

We live about a mile's walk from the Thames and I view it every Monday as my Keep Fit class overlooks the park and river.

It's lovely to see the boats moored up and some evenings we take our supper and a glass of wine down to the Lock and watch the boats passing through. BLISS.

rosesarered Tue 21-Jul-15 22:13:00

It is bliss there NanKate, we love it too, so peaceful.
Numberplease I will look at your profile photo of the canal.

rosesarered Tue 21-Jul-15 22:18:07

There are so many lovely rivers in England, that most people can't be far from one. Some live near the river/canal but never walk there, what a waste. You can see herons, water voles ( Ratty!) and swans/ ducks/ moorhens , and even today, some seagulls ( I know they can be a nuisance, but we don't get many of them here.)
Mr Roses really prefers to live by the sea, but that isn't possible now, and given the choice I think I prefer the river.

merlotgran Tue 21-Jul-15 22:33:12

The Old West river (part of the Great Ouse) ran along the bottom of our garden when we lived in a large farmhouse. The children's ponies grazed on the washes and we had our own mooring for our cabin cruiser. Absolutely idyllic!!

Sadly, when the company that DH worked for sold the farm we had to move and we now live near the river Cam - it's all rivers round here. We can't afford the costs of owning our own boat anymore but we can always hire one for a short break.

I love rivers but I come from the Isle of Wight so I think, given a choice, I'd go back to the sea.

Katek Tue 21-Jul-15 23:00:04

We're seaside dwellers but also have our own beautiful river which meanders down the valley, down one side of the main street and eventually meets the sea. I get quite twitchy when I'm inland-I love to be on the edge where I can see the sea.

rosesarered Tue 21-Jul-15 23:10:38

Are you in Devon Katek?

Katek Tue 21-Jul-15 23:33:38

No Roses-we're north of Aberdeen. I do love Devon though, beautiful county.

ninathenana Tue 21-Jul-15 23:45:23

The canal is a five minute walk away, don't walk that way often now we don't have a dog. We tend to walk along the prom which is across the road.
We have booked a long weekend in September at an hotel on the banks of Thames at Marlow. Looking forward to that.

Falconbird Wed 22-Jul-15 06:48:36

I live near the mighty river Severn. It has the second highest tide in the world and is famous for the Severn Boar.

It isn't the most attractive of rivers in my opinion being grey in colour because of the mud but it does support some interesting wild life mainly wading birds I think.

kittylester Wed 22-Jul-15 08:08:05

The River Soar runs through our village but the closest bit to us is actually part of the Grand Union Canal. There is a lovely walk along the canal towpath with a pub at each end! wine

Isn't it the Severn Bore, Falcon? The Severn Boar would be very scary! grin. The Bore is quite spectacular.

Alea Wed 22-Jul-15 08:38:59

I am sure you are right Kitty, isn't he the old codger who sits outside the riverside pub telling all and sundry about his fishing exploits/the quickest way from Malmesbury to Piddletrenthide avoiding motorways/or how to fettle a head gasket spingle? grin

rosesarered Wed 22-Jul-15 10:55:23

grin

rosesarered Wed 22-Jul-15 10:56:32

I want to know more about the boar/bore, what IS it exactly?

rosesarered Wed 22-Jul-15 10:59:35

Nina, you will like Marlow, enjoy your holiday there. we have a game of picking which house on the river and which boat we would choose, it becomes quite heated if we don't agree( pipe dreams!)
The Thames is usually brown, not clear and sparkling, more like the Orinoco at times, but still a great river. I love the Severn as well and all the countryside around there.

Elegran Wed 22-Jul-15 11:15:38

The Severn Bore is the tide on certain days. It roars up the narrowing Bristol channel, and then up the narrowing Severn, as a wall of water several feet high.

I was once crossing the bridge in Chepstow, aged about 5, with my parents and was absolutely terrified at the vast amount of water apparently rushing at me - there were only railings beside me, down to the pavement level. Scary!

There is a website about it (with tide tables so that you can time your surfing - Friday 31st July is the next)

" Even on the smaller tides you will see spectators and surfers heading down to the river Severn. According to some sources the largest bore on the Severn was October 15th 1966, a spectacular 9.2ft (2.8m)!

Often the spring and autumn tides are the biggest but generally most month’s high tides will bring a bore down the Severn through Gloucestershire. " www.thesevernbore.co.uk/home/4579550154

Riverwalk Wed 22-Jul-15 11:28:57

I also live next to The Thames in the middle of London and absolutely love it!

When I'm not working I do a one or two-hour river walk. There's so much going on .... rowers, cruisers, pleasure boats, barges, houseboats, commuter clippers, the lot. If I worked in The City or Canary Wharf I'd travel by clipper - what a great way to commute, particularly in this weather.

When DGS(9) visits we go down to the foreshore at low-tide and mudlark with his little metal detector.

ninathenana Wed 22-Jul-15 11:36:45

Thanks roses DH and I always check out estate agents windows when we're away. We enjoy the 'if only game' too smile

Teetime Wed 22-Jul-15 11:39:41

We live 5 minutes away from the river(s) which runs through the park the Soar and the Eye I think. Our part is not navigable but could be if the Environment Agency had the funds to clear it up. A local volunteer group MOWS do what they can but its a big job - very picturesque though.

rosesarered Wed 22-Jul-15 13:56:21

Thanks for the Severn Bore info Elegran, it must be quite something to see( I want to see it!)