Gransnet forums

Chat

Wind in the willows( minus the wind.)

(33 Posts)
rosesarered Tue 21-Jul-15 16:25:16

Just spent two happy hours messing about, not in, but next to the river(Thames )we often go for a long walk by the river, do a sort of loop and end up at a good pub where the pint of beer shandy is the best in the world.
There we sit and watch the boats and the people go by, and have a rest.
There are so many lovely riverside walks in this area, which you can start and end almost anywhere, Oxford, Marlow ,Henley and Abingdon-on Thames.
Next to living near the sea, living near the river is the next best thing.Do you live near a river? which One? Do you walk by it, fish, or take a boat out?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Jul-15 14:00:57

I rode my bike into town today along the river, as I always do. I had to wait for boats going through the lock. First time this year. I love the Thames. sunshine

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Jul-15 14:01:40

The Severn bore has never occurred at a convenient time for me to see it. Unfortunately.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Jul-15 14:02:45

I missed the Swan Upping on the Thames this year. Forgot all about it. I usually catch it. Quite a sight.

Falconbird Wed 22-Jul-15 14:13:33

Yes - it is the Severn Bore. When I was little I thought it was called the

Seven Boar and I slipped back in time. I also thought it was the Seven

Bridge.

The Bore as explained above is a seasonal tide which forms a huge wave.

Some brave people actually ride the wave on surf boards. shock

Greyduster Wed 22-Jul-15 20:45:57

We have a river five minutes walk down the lane at the back of our house. It is the River Rother (not the Sussex one). I enjoyed walking along it until I had an unfortunate run in with a horse. I have fished it once or twice, but a Hampshire chalk stream it ain't, though it does have trout. It also has kingfishers, water voles, goosanders, herons and other water birds. Within this city, the rivers which used to be foul with the effluent from heavy industry are now pristine and teeming with fish and wildlife - but it has taken a lot of hard work by volunteer groups and the EA to get them that way, and hard work continues to keep them that way. It is a huge joy to me to have seen it happen.

rosesarered Thu 23-Jul-15 18:00:09

Ashamed to say that I have never heard of the river Rother ( near Rotheram??)Or that there are two rivers called that!

Greyduster Fri 24-Jul-15 10:55:14

Yes roses there are two; the other one is in West Sussex and is altogether more picturesque than ours. No real reason why anyone should have heard of ours - I hadn't myself until I came to live here. We are about midway between Chesterfield and Rotherham, and I suppose Rotherham took it's name from the river way back when.