Gransnet forums

Chat

So what was your plan?

(34 Posts)
absent Wed 26-Aug-15 07:45:58

I was never a great planner –more roll with the tide and float with the punches. However, looking back at my younger self, I never had the slightest idea that I would spend the last years of my life in a country as far away from where I was born, grew up and spent most of my adult life as it is possible to be. I intended or, at least, hoped to have several children but only produced the one, a wonderful one but nevertheless a solitary child. I wandered into publishing as a career after leaving university and ended up writing non-fiction books on all sorts of subjects from ballet to feng shui and from yoga to fine art, but mostly, good heavens, cookbooks. I vaguely expected to become a grandmother one day, but it was a huge surprise when I did – and then again and again and…

Do I regret any of it? Well, not much. Do I have a clue how it happened? Well not much.

How about your plans?

claireseptember Wed 26-Aug-15 22:57:56

Plan A once I'd met DH, was to have kids and be as happy as we could be, not rich, not famous, just OK, to keep on loving each other and to grow old together.
Plan B There was no Plan B so I came a bit unstuck when he died suddenly in his fifties.
Plan C To not make any more plans and just survive!

whitewave Thu 27-Aug-15 07:14:42

I dont think I have ever had a single plan for my life. The nearest I get is next years holiday or what to plant in the garden next year! Every thing else is day to day I suppose I am like the animals I live in the now.

Leticia Thu 27-Aug-15 07:37:58

I knew someone who had a 5 yr plan, 10yr plan etc and I thought it a terrible idea. Events can completely destroy it.
I have never had a plan and don't intent to- other than a very vague one. e.g. I don't intend to move again- but who knows what might happen?

I just live for the present and go with the flow.
I have booked a holiday for next year- but that is very unusual to be so far ahead.

Anniebach Thu 27-Aug-15 09:56:21

Didn't make long term plans, learned in late teens not to

Lona Thu 27-Aug-15 10:25:29

I've never had a plan, just wanted to be happy. However, if I'd known what highs and lows were ahead I would have been a gibbering idiot!
Daren't dwell on what's to come, it's not looking too good but it could be a whole lot worse #stillcountingmyblessings!

Eloethan Thu 27-Aug-15 13:51:38

As a young person, I didn't really see the need for any forward planning but have regretted it - at least in relation to work.

I spent many years doing a job that I disliked and which I thought was of no particular value to anyone. If I'd had more maturity as a young person I might have questioned my Mum and Dad's laissez faire attitude to education and to life in general instead of being equally directionless and unmotivated.

However, | am quite pleased with myself for having been pro-active in later years in improving my education and developing new skills and interests - though unfortunately I could never afford to change my career.

Now I think about all the more creative things I'd intended to do when I had more time - particularly taking up amateur dramatics again - and realise that possibly my age would make me stand out like a sore thumb. I have, though, joined a choir again and am really enjoying it.

Having said all that, I do accept that I should be grateful for what I have - and I have a lot more than people fleeing for their lives from war torn countries - rather than grumbling about what in the grand scheme of things are trivialities.

varian Thu 27-Aug-15 18:13:37

You'd probably be welcomed with open arms in the local am dram club. When I was involved in set design the performers and back-stage folk were all ages and one of the funniest panto performers was a great granny.

downtoearth Thu 27-Aug-15 21:43:55

Never had a plan which is a good job as I have been able to go with the flow of things that life has thrown at me,found it dosent help to have expectations either as that way disappointment lies.Being flexible I may have been bent many times ....but sure as hell not broken...grin