Gransnet forums

Chat

A couple of things you might not know about me.......

(194 Posts)
gillybob Wed 09-Sep-15 12:30:27

I'm feeling quite down at the minute so decided to start a light hearted thread to cheer myself up a bit. smile

I will start.

I absolutely love Country Music. Yee Ha
I love caravans
I drive a mini
I always wanted to be a social worker when I was young

Over to you.............

Purpledaffodil Wed 16-Sep-15 14:36:58

Gumley? dustyangel. They obviously turned out biddable girls too. The school allowed us a day off to go to the tennis at Wimbledon if we wanted to. It only occurred to me recently that I could have had a day off school WITHOUT GOING TO WIMBLEDON. but I never did. Stupid or biddable? Not sure which grin

dustyangel Wed 16-Sep-15 15:55:51

grin Purpledaffodil, Yes Gumley, you obviously remember the blazers.grin

Biddable, hmm. It never occurred to me to disobey or rebel either. That is until the following year when at 16 I decided to leave school and did. In retrospect it would have been better to choose something less important than education to rebel over. smile

Coolgran65 Thu 17-Sep-15 01:41:46

This may be a little too much info.....be alerted. Not a typical 'what you might not know about me'

My one DH and I met 19 years ago. At that time my son was at uni but still living with me. DH had 3sons living with him. Privacy was premium as we hadn't started to sleep over at each other's homes.

On snowy winter's night we 'parked up' in a little glade beside a waterfall. At about 1am the car decided it couldn't get out from it's spot. The rear wheels were embedded in the snow.We used the car mats to gain traction, without success. What to do? We didn't want to ring for one of our sons to come and tow us out blush.

Solution...I was in the AA. This was in the days before mobile phones. So we went walking looking for a phone box in rural countryside, without success. I was in heels, in the snow.. We saw a house light on.....it's now about 3a.m.
Took a chance and knocked the door,......we've broken down, could we use your phone to ring the AA. Most helpful guy... AA confirmed they'd be an hour. We were unable to direct them to our 'spot' and arranged We'd wait on the farm wall in the very tiny village until AA arrived and then take them to the car. We sat and froze for an hour and then saw the Orange flashing light. It was help. We had expected an AA van what arrived was a great big machine with a winch. We climbed up into the cab whereupon I continuously looked out the window. Dp directed him down into the waterfall. Car got winched out no bother. The embarrassing thing was that the driver had clearly been seconded in by the AA. He lived in the next village and he and dp knew each other vaguely. So there we were, hitting our 50s...getting towed out of a lover's lane.
I'm sure driver reckoned we were both married and not to each other.

We told offspring that because of snow conditions we hit a bank and wheel got stuck in a ditch. It was a laugh afterwards. And we decided we're too old for this.....started sharing each other's homes properly....getting married 10 years ago.

gillybob Thu 17-Sep-15 07:30:52

Oh that's a fantastic story Coolgran65 . It definitely qualifies as something we didn't know about you ! I can't begin to imagine what you were "up to" in lovers lane you little minx but thank goodness for the AA ! grin

shysal Thu 17-Sep-15 08:28:50

grin

hummingbird Thu 17-Sep-15 13:01:20

Thanks for this post Gilybob! I drive a Mini Cooper convertible - love to feel the wind in my hair (actually, that's an absolute lie - it gets all knotty and horrid!). I ride a Pashley cycle (again, tatty hair) and can't stand wearing s helmet. I have a 14 year-old foster daughter, and I'm learning fast about social media. I'm learning to play the piano, and am proving to be pretty hopeless at it! grin

KatyK Thu 17-Sep-15 18:39:34

I once left a chip pan on the hob and burned the kitchen down!

numberplease Thu 17-Sep-15 21:31:38

Snap, KatyK!

AlgeswifeVal Thu 17-Sep-15 22:04:29

1. I hate baked beans

2. I drive a small Peugeot but would prefer a mini

3. I love country music

4. I always wanted to be in the Police force or better since forensics

gillybob Thu 17-Sep-15 22:44:19

Actually "my" mini is a white Mini Countryman with a black roof and black wheels. I love it.

I love baked beans AlgeswifeVal and often them cold, straight out of the tin for my lunch at work ( much to the disgust of DH who thinks they are the devils fruit).

At last a fellow Country Music fan . Do you have a particular favourite? I saw the great Garth Brooks in concert in Leeds many years ago and saw Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and Waylon Jennings in the "highwaymen" tour back in the day. I have my dad to thank for my taste in music. smile

Grandma2213 Thu 17-Sep-15 23:12:49

Thanks for this thread gillybob. I love all the stories and comments.

Trawling through my relatively dull life for a story - will this do?

My best friend and I once spent a night camping on a beach on Anglesey. It was a one man (person!) tent and we only had one sleeping bag so when one got colder than they could bear had to wake the other and swap! Added to that the tent pegs kept sliding in the sand and the tent kept folding in on us!

Needless to say by dawn (about 4.30 am) we were wide awake, packed up and hitchhiked with a returning night worker to Llanberis. We climbed up Snowdon and even at that time it was so hot we stripped down to our bras and were sunbathing on the summit by 8am.

We were awoken by the first train up the mountain disgorging the café staff and a few visitors who thought we had spent the night there!!

Happy days!!

kittylester Fri 18-Sep-15 07:02:36

gillybob, I love country music too! Johnny Cash is my favourite and I'm really envy that you saw the Highwaymen!

I set my kitchen on fire when I flambeed steak - oops!

KatyK Fri 18-Sep-15 10:26:33

Phew - not just me then setting kitchens on fire! No more chip pans in this house.

Greenfinch Fri 18-Sep-15 10:57:09

I also set the kitchen on fire with a chip pan when I was newly married. DH thought I was trying to see him off !! shock

rubysong Fri 18-Sep-15 11:07:58

As a teenager I once slept, with a gang of friends, in a cemetery. We had been to see a band and hoped for lifts didn't materialise. There were no buses back to our village so we set off to walk but it was going to take all night so we all cuddled together under some trees. We were a mixed group but there was certainly no hanky panky. My parents thought I was at a friend's and her parents thought she was at mine. (A ruse we got away with several times.) I would have been about sixteen.

gillybob Fri 18-Sep-15 11:19:13

Oh so that makes 3 of us then kittylester smile

NfkDumpling Fri 18-Sep-15 19:06:20

I haven't set my kitchen on fire but I did once put some eggs on to boil - and then went to get the DC from school - and walk the dog - and do a bit of shopping. When they explode eggs are quite capable of embedding their shells into artex ceilings.

I am particularly fond of John Denver. Does that count as country music?

Marmark1 Fri 18-Sep-15 19:41:28

I'm an Elvis fan,
One of my most fav films is Gone with the wind,I think I would have liked Margret Mitchell a lot.
I love coconut.- Rice pudding.- and Chocolate .
I'm still frightened of the dark.
I prefer animals to some people.
Anything else you would like to know?