Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite sandwich lunch

(100 Posts)
Auntieflo Fri 18-Sep-15 12:37:27

What's your favourite sandwich for lunch? When you are on your own, and can sit down , read a magazine, a chapter of your book, or visit Gransnet.
Mine is a warm - hard boiled egg, with shredded lettuce and salad cream, on buttered bread. I have just made it, and a great big mug of frothy coffee, heaven on a pretty tray.

tanith Fri 18-Sep-15 12:50:30

Mnnnn like the sound of your sandwich Auntieflo but my favourite is red salmon and cucumber or tuna mayo..

Charleygirl Fri 18-Sep-15 12:54:12

Mine is a hard boiled egg inside a fresh buttered roll. Yummy.

janeainsworth Fri 18-Sep-15 13:04:02

Left-over chicken mixed with mayonnaise and curry powder, with salad in brown bread. Even nicer if there's a bit of fresh coriander to hand.

Gagagran Fri 18-Sep-15 13:13:02

We've just had smoked salmon with the new whipped up Philly, lemon and black pepper on granary bread. Very tasty too.

I also like the sound of yours jane - bit like Coronation Chicken?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Sep-15 13:24:08

Sometimes I really enjoy plain cheddar. Hovis soft white, or wholemeal, bread. No chutney. No ketchup. Just lovely cheesy cheddar.

#simplethings

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Sep-15 13:25:20

And I like tinned salmon (no bones!) and cucumber.

tanith Fri 18-Sep-15 13:29:19

Definately take out the bones and the skin jings grin

kittylester Fri 18-Sep-15 13:32:07

Love all the above fillings - GF bread is hardly worth the effort though! sad

ninathenana Fri 18-Sep-15 13:44:20

Brown bread crispy lettuce strong cheese and mayo.
Dam ! no lettuce in the fridge.

janerowena Fri 18-Sep-15 13:46:59

sad I know! I'm just dunking GF in my soup - really not good, it just sort of melts...

So - in my fantasy world of what I used to love. I took auntieflo's sandwich to work every day for years, so I must really like it! I also love jings plain cheese with fresh brown bread (a frequent late-night snack, with just a half-slice), but my true love is scampi and rocket with just a little mayonnaise, no butter. I am not likely to ever see that in GF bread though. sad

crun Fri 18-Sep-15 14:41:54

Cheese and onion.

Katek Fri 18-Sep-15 15:12:21

Cheese and onion in a roll warmed in microwave for 20-30secs until cheese melts. Yum

sunseeker Fri 18-Sep-15 15:16:08

Chicken salad with lashings of caesar dressing on wholemeal bread

Lona Fri 18-Sep-15 15:28:10

All of the above (not all at once obviously!) in fresh soft bread with loads of Lurpak.

kitty and janer have either of you tried M&S gluten free? Someone's told me that it's very nice (hard to believe).

kittylester Fri 18-Sep-15 15:33:16

Thanks Lona. I will try it. It was awful but they are continually changing recipes so it might have improved. I made a ham and pickle sandwich on Genius bread for lunch today and it was so bad I actually rang to complain. Very frustrating to get an answermachine!!!

Anne58 Fri 18-Sep-15 16:05:50

Many years ago when I was with ex dh, as I was working full-time I did my main clean on a Saturday while he took the boys out.

My guilty secret lunch was a sandwich of buttered white bread filled with cheese and onion crisps and then bashed!blush

janerowena Fri 18-Sep-15 16:11:48

I am also very partial to a whole avocado mashed with lemon juice - I did try that on a Genius multi-seeded white loaf and it worked quite well.

My freezer is full of half-loaves of notverynice bread - I keep them for 'emergencies' that never happen!

MiniMouse Fri 18-Sep-15 16:33:17

Have you tried GF ciabatta? I find that more palatable, though still not pleasurable sad

I'm still wearing L plates regarding GF and have nearly been caught out several times by not realising something contained gluten.

I quite like GF pasta, but because it contains rice it means only cooking enough for one meal - so no big batch for eating two days in a row!

Lona Fri 18-Sep-15 16:41:23

kitty this particular friend loves bread and doesn't need to have gf! I've tried lots of different gf breads and they've all been vile. Except Genius, until she sold out to a company!

janerowena Fri 18-Sep-15 16:42:45

GF spaghetti falls apart with reheating, which is just weird. I can't buy the ciabatta around here. I have made my own tortillas, which weren't too bad. I cook double quantities of the penne, which holds its shape better, and freeze half. I have just about got the hang of cakes (my first year , I only discovered how bad it was around xmas really) but DBH has just made me some muffins and was just poking them around looking very suspicious, they do feel odd! Cake I can cope with but oh, how I do miss good bread... I can't even buy wraps locally, yet went to a restaurant in Cambridge for lunch and they substituted wraps for the bread in my starter, and they were excellent. I just wish I knew who made them.

shysal Fri 18-Sep-15 17:06:04

For me it would be a toss up between blue Brie on crusty seeded bread or bacon, egg mayo and cheese on sliced farmhouse white. Or maybe one of each!

numberplease Fri 18-Sep-15 17:08:56

Just a plain ham, tomatoe, cucumber and raw onion sandwich, mmmm, lovely. Am also partial to hard boiled egg and tomatoe butties.

kittylester Fri 18-Sep-15 17:11:56

I have a recipe for ciabatta which is rather flat but almost acceptable. I find I have to freeze the components of lasagne and assemble them just prior to cooking or the pasta takes up all the sauce and it goes very dry. I have found penne freezes fairly well.

I make quite a few cakes and they are all reasonable. Pastry I buy and scones I can't make!

Have you seen the recipe for Japanese Cotton Cake on utube? I haven't made it yet but it looks fabulous!

Sorry back to sandwich fillings!!

SloeGinny Fri 18-Sep-15 17:38:42

I made the Japanese Cotton Cake last weekend, it was nice but not fabulous.

I have too many favourites, but roast chicken breast with salt on fresh, buttered bread has to be up there.