Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite sandwich lunch

(101 Posts)
Auntieflo Fri 18-Sep-15 12:37:27

What's your favourite sandwich for lunch? When you are on your own, and can sit down , read a magazine, a chapter of your book, or visit Gransnet.
Mine is a warm - hard boiled egg, with shredded lettuce and salad cream, on buttered bread. I have just made it, and a great big mug of frothy coffee, heaven on a pretty tray.

merlotgran Sat 19-Sep-15 16:55:05

Gluten free sandwich thins are OK toasted in a bag so I often have ham, a slice of gouda and a smear of mustard as a filling.

Bacon and mushroom is nice as well.

rosesarered Sat 19-Sep-15 17:18:31

I had forgotten about fish finger sarnies, so have now changed my mind, they are the best!Yum.

Lona Sat 19-Sep-15 17:35:01

That's it! I'm off now to have a toasted cheese on white with mustard!
It's my Saturday night treat.
#easilypleased

shysal Sat 19-Sep-15 17:40:36

It is a diet day for me, so having a plate of cabbage with a little butter and bacon, a la GN. Not quite in the toastie league!

KatyK Sat 19-Sep-15 18:21:58

Thank you for the link sal. I am going to make that sometime this week smile

thatbags Sat 19-Sep-15 18:31:34

Just had baked salmon with caramelised onions onto which I'd poured a little balsamic vineger. Now wondering if onions balsamic would work in a smoked salmon butty. I feel an experiment coming on.

thatbags Sat 19-Sep-15 18:33:49

I do cabbage carbonara quite often, shysal. I tend to add some cream at the end and, if I've a crust to use up some breadcrumbs fried in butter till crispy. Probably not much good for a low calorie day but delish smile

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Sat 19-Sep-15 20:58:05

1. Fish Finger Sandwich
2. Chip Butty

Love the sound of the cabbage carbonara.

Sugarpufffairy Sat 19-Sep-15 23:06:57

I have Warburton GF bread on prescription. It is not great for sandwiches or with soup. There are passable GF white rolls from Sainsbury. I like Warburtons GF Wraps which I substitute for sandwiches mostly with chicken and salad.
I have not managed to bake anything GF that was edible. I miss scones like my mum made but I was not Ceoliac then. None of the bought scones have been worthwhile. Any suggestions on scones?
SPF

TwiceAsNice Sat 19-Sep-15 23:22:38

Pate sandwich or just discovered I can get jellied veal at the butchers at my local farm shop. I haven't had that since I was a teenager and I did the Saturday morning food shop for my mother which included the jellied veal from the Home and Colonial. Do you remember them they've been out of business for years

TwiceAsNice Sat 19-Sep-15 23:23:12

Oh and it has to be granary or seeded bread

Greyduster Sun 20-Sep-15 12:59:26

Twice you reminded me of when I was working and there was a wonderful delicattesan near the office. He made a vegetarian pate that was so delicious I drool even now to think of it. It was my sandwich of choice most days. Then, suddenly, the shop closed and no more pate sad. I know it had spinach, hazelnuts and mushrooms in it, and other things I couldn't get a handle on, and so all my efforts to imitate it have been failures!

GandT Sun 20-Sep-15 14:44:56

My choice of sandwich filler would be either a bumper bacon buttie or layers of Brie cheese, mango chutney and sliced apple. Wonderful!

Pittcity Sun 20-Sep-15 15:01:50

Did anyone else use to enjoy sandwich spread?

Greyduster Sun 20-Sep-15 16:37:33

Do you mean the stuff in little jars? Shipham's sardine and tomato! God knows what went into it but I thought it was delicious.

EEJit Sun 20-Sep-15 16:43:06

Grated extra mature cheddar cheese with chilli jam
Fish finger and pea
Bacon

Pittcity Sun 20-Sep-15 16:46:51

No I meant this stuff. Haven't had it for ages, didn't know you could still get it.

I did love fish and meat pastes too!

Greyduster Sun 20-Sep-15 17:26:10

Gosh I hated that, along with something called Heinz Russian Salad in a tin, which my mother used to think was the height of sophistication when served in a glass dish for Sunday tea. She was the only one who would eat it and she still didn't get the message. I will not say what both of the above reminded me of!

mcculloch29 Mon 21-Sep-15 13:48:00

Along with the usual suspects like smoked salmon on cream cheese - sigh! - I love a sliced tomato. Just that, seasoned, with salt and black pepper.

My Guilty Pleasure is a tomato ketchup butty. This is unexpectedly pleasurable. I discovered it when I was newly married, extremely impecunious, and had nothing to put on my bread and scrape for a lunch at home.
I am not alone, I think it was Steve Martin (actor) who once said he had a fond childhood memory of being given a ketchup sarnie by his Mom, when he asked for jam and there was none.

AlgeswifeVal Mon 21-Sep-15 16:40:21

I think my 2 choices are lean ham and coleslaw or egg and cress, in white bread or a roll.

cupcake1 Mon 21-Sep-15 17:57:09

Prawns with Marie sauce and lettuce, yum!

loopylou Mon 21-Sep-15 18:02:10

grin Greyduster ! My mum too, and yes, I do know what it resembled now you come to mention it!

Rare roast beef and horseradish sauce in brown bread or ciabatta, yummy!

loopylou Mon 21-Sep-15 18:02:55

As a child I loved Ryvita with cheese and Branston pickle too

grandmac Mon 21-Sep-15 19:50:32

Cornish brie and seedless black grapes on thickly buttered French stick. sunshine

crun Fri 25-Sep-15 14:27:32

Fried mushroom.

I've only just discovered frozen mushrooms, so I keep looking for places to use them. Compared with fresh ones, they're cheaper, tastier, more convenient, and keep longer.