Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering - but how do I say goodbye to books?

(85 Posts)
petitpois Fri 25-Sep-15 09:38:01

I am having a massive clear out. So far I've been really ruthless and there are boxes and boxes of things ready to go to charity shops. But...I've now got to my books. There are many on the shelves I loved when I read them but I'm unlikely to read again. Still, I feel quite emotionally attached to them - I don't know why. How do I do this with no regrets? They're just gathering dust. But they feel so much a part of me. Any advice welcome!

soontobe Fri 25-Sep-15 12:18:01

You say they are gathering dust.
So you sound emotionally ready to give away the majority of them.

granjura Fri 25-Sep-15 12:25:59

the out of date info is one of the most fascinating aspects actually. DH already regrets getting rid of some of his old medical text books, for that reason. I have my grand-mother's family medical encyclopedia from the turn of the 20C- it is amazing and umbelievable the advice and info given about childcare and sexuality, for instance. And I have books of maps from the 19C- which show the world and borders as it was then, before WW1, and also books of maps of the Swiss Glaciers in the 19C and early 20C - which would make any skeptic re climate change re-adress their views, etc.

Anniebach Fri 25-Sep-15 13:11:29

My books are gathering dust and no way am I ready to give them away

aggie Fri 25-Sep-15 14:18:48

there is a ?new ? craft of book folding , pages are folded and a picture or words are formed , lots of these books are bought from charity shops , so they are worth passing on to these shops . I like the idea , but lack the patience to do them , the books are not mutilated so could be read if wanted

aggie Fri 25-Sep-15 14:19:58

google book folding art

J52 Fri 25-Sep-15 14:27:18

Just to clarify my 'out of date info.' comment. I meant technical books that have been superceeded. Not books of interesting historical content.

DH collects Victorian and early 20th century building books, but is happy to throw away the 2012 Building Sandards manual, eventually!

x

granjura Fri 25-Sep-15 15:01:08

LOL yes. And yet- DH does regret getting rid of the instructions manuals for his first computer a ZX81 and BBC computers- as they are very valuable now- and will be even more so in a couple of generations.
Same for cartoons, early annuals, etc.

janerowena Fri 25-Sep-15 15:15:34

I managed to get MiL, after several years of procrastinating and then eventually being told forcefully that she would never sell her house unless buyers could actually see the place... grin to offer hers to the local library. They were very grateful - and she can borrow them back again if necessary!

She now has a kindle and we are under strict instruction from FiL not to buy her any new books.

janerowena Fri 25-Sep-15 15:16:58

PS I told her, she didn't listen, and then all five of the estate agents they went to told her the same thing, one after another. grin She would get the hump with them and sack them! She can't sack me but I bet she would have liked to.

AyjayF Fri 25-Sep-15 15:25:43

I have a Little Library outside my house.You can build one yourself or look up Little Free Library Project UK
This movement started in the States and is growing worldwide. Books are put outside in a weatherproof library decorated brightly. Neighbours + passers by borrow books and donate some too. It is such a neighbourly thing. Everyone loves it. You feel that your books are being appreciated all over again and it gets people talking.

granjura Fri 25-Sep-15 15:42:32

Hôtels also love them for guests.

varian Fri 25-Sep-15 15:53:11

A nearby village has a free book exchange housed in its renovated red phone box.

granjura Fri 25-Sep-15 16:43:21

BTW the only thing that makes decluttering easier for us, is to give away what we don't need to those who do. It takes a lot longer and much more effort than getting a skip and chucking it all in (I just couldn't) but it it a lot more 'rewarding' (and if you chuck it from a very high horse, it breaks anyhow ;) )

Jane10 Fri 25-Sep-15 18:21:53

I never thought I would get rid of my books. I had them packed in crates ready for our move then - just left them! Walked away from them. They would have swamped the new flat and I'd never have read them again. I haven't missed them or ever regretted it. I love my Kindle. Its got a red cover that opens like a book and is only ever for novels. I also love it because its got 200+ books on it already. That would have taken up so much space in hard copy!

David1968 Fri 25-Sep-15 18:31:33

We use the library and each have a Kindle. Yes, we sometimes acquire "proper" books, and keep a limited amount in the house, especially non-fiction "useful" ones, (and children's books!) but if we're never going to read a book again, then it's given away to a charity shop. Can't face the clutter, otherwise!

feetlebaum Fri 25-Sep-15 19:24:35

Dammit, what's so wrong with clutter? I embrace my clutter, wrap myself in it... anyway I've got a couple of Kindles, so it isn't getting any worse!

Greyduster Fri 25-Sep-15 20:31:10

Our local library will take hard back and paperback books in good condition - I've donated quite a few this year. We gave loads to charity shops when we moved. Does anyone have a set if encyclopaedias cluttering up their bookshelves these days? We do, although no-one has looked anything up in them for an age! They do look good in the bookcase though, which is the only reason we give them house room! Goodness knows who would want them if we ever wanted to give them away, they seem so dated now.

Judthepud2 Fri 25-Sep-15 23:16:28

I keep trying. But I can't. I just can't get rid of my books confused Many of them are such old friends. And quite a lot of new ones. I have just bought the entire Poldark series!!

I'll leave it to my children to sort out. grin

Doreen5 Sat 26-Sep-15 08:31:17

If you haven't used it in the last year get rid of it! My loft is now completely empty. Great feeling. smile

Wilks Sat 26-Sep-15 08:31:56

We were ruthless, though reluctantly so, though we still have boxes in storage. I have a friend who buys books from charity shops then takes them back to be re-sold. A plan for the future but it doesn't help with the present cull. For many practical reasons I now read on my Kindle. I am equally happy to curl up in bed with it as with a book, in fact more so if it's a long story which in book form would be heavy. There are some disadvantages I admit but it is a practical solution for someone who has gone through the downsizing process and is determined never to have to do it again. Shudder!

Doreen5 Sat 26-Sep-15 08:32:14

If you haven't used it in the last year get rid of it. My loft is now completely empty. smile

camlyn Sat 26-Sep-15 08:58:32

Wherever I am when I finish a book I leave it there for someone else to enjoy. It's surprising how many times I have seen someone pick one up and start to read. Makes me feel goog too

etheltbags1 Sat 26-Sep-15 09:21:46

Ive got a kindle which I rarely use, I love my books but since being off work for a few months I have been given loads, so Im keeping the ones I already have which I reread again and again. Now any I am given I keep on my bedside table and once read they are given away without thought.

My downfall is the local charity shop which sells fat paperbacks at 1.50 for 4 so if I take any in I return with at least 4 more (if not 8) depending how much change I have in my pocket.
Also as someone else has mentioned that Christmas is just around the corner and all the lovely books will be published soon, I cant wait.

I have 4 bookcases and they are full to the brim but they are like friends, I guess that unless I have to downsize then they will be with me forever.

Buddie Sat 26-Sep-15 09:27:18

Over the past couple of years I have been trying to bring the book collection under control. I have always found it hard to part with books and I think it was because as a child it was drummed into me that books were precious.
I used to be able to sell some through an online charity but that became unviable with postage costs so I looked for other options. To date I have used the following.
Charity shops - with more than a dozen in the nearby town there are plenty of options
Drop-in centres and residential homes
The League of Friends at a local hospital
The Library for non-fiction and relatively new fiction books
Offered some for sale at a Table Top Sale along with other items
I have also discovered it is possible to sell through various companies online who even pay the postage if sufficient are offered at once.Books need to be in good order.
Other suggestions I have had offered to me have been FB and Freecycle.
Many books simply get passed on to friends and family although they tend to trickle back home afterwards!
Even with all these potential outlets I still find it extremely hard to part with books and am unable to help myself buying yet more when dropping off contributions at charity shops. I justify it by saying they will be read and handed back and thus help the charity twice over.

muswellblue Sat 26-Sep-15 10:02:24

We have been clearing out too because of downsizing from a four bedroomed house to a two bedroomed apartment in two weeks' time. (Help!) However I do think books furnish a room and add interest for visitors,so I have kept at least half of them. We will find space for them somewhere and perhaps have another weed out when we buy more - despite possessing a Kindle.