Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering - but how do I say goodbye to books?

(85 Posts)
petitpois Fri 25-Sep-15 09:38:01

I am having a massive clear out. So far I've been really ruthless and there are boxes and boxes of things ready to go to charity shops. But...I've now got to my books. There are many on the shelves I loved when I read them but I'm unlikely to read again. Still, I feel quite emotionally attached to them - I don't know why. How do I do this with no regrets? They're just gathering dust. But they feel so much a part of me. Any advice welcome!

Leticia Sun 27-Sep-15 07:45:30

I would go through them and keep the ones that you feel emotionally attached to or any that you feel you might read again and then get rid of the rest. I don't think you can just ditch old friends! I am more discerning from since we moved and just keep the ones that I really like- otherwise they go straight out. I still feel a bit sad- I don't think that you can have too many books! I can't understand anyone saying 'they are just bits of paper' - they are far more than that!

maryjo Sun 27-Sep-15 08:25:19

I have a regular book cull of my books and never buy books unless my library cannot get them. Using the library is very important to me and I will order online and wait for the book to be available. Support your local library or lose it!

Aylesdot Sun 27-Sep-15 09:12:09

I have lots of books and I have a very emotional attachment to them, beyond the stories that they hold. But I know one day I will have to clear many of them out. I only have to look at the covers of some of my books to know exactly where I was, what holiday I was on, etc when I was reading them so these I will keep. But many of my books hold no memories or I never finished reading them and these will go.

Does anyone else use "Librarything" to keep a record of their books? If you've got time while de cluttering you could list your books on this site and then you'll always have a record of the books you had. You can even set a view of all the front covers, to bring back those memories. I currently add each book as I read it (you can even record the reading dates) so that if ever I have to get rid of all my books I know that I will always have a record of them.

These days I love reading on my Kindle - so much lighter and easier to turn pages than books! So if there are any books that I really want to read again I can do so easily, and as many are classics they are cheap to upload.

Judthepud2 Sun 27-Sep-15 10:57:42

What a great idea notnecessarilywiser I think I might follow book crossing.com up! Thank you for that.

Judthepud2 Sun 27-Sep-15 11:13:49

I have a DH like that Nelliemoser and it worries me how much clutter we have in the house. And we only moved in 7 years ago. He just can't part with anything, and now has an online shopping addiction! Every day more stuff arrives by post. Clearing it out will be a nightmare! shock

durhamjen Sun 27-Sep-15 11:27:03

What do you add to the clutter, Judthepud?

hazeljoy Sun 27-Sep-15 14:39:44

I am all for decluttering and I do give away or swap some of my books but I couldn't live in a house without bookshelves and my children are the same in their own houses. When I am rich and famous I am going to buy a house with a library!!!!

Judthepud2 Sun 27-Sep-15 18:06:50

Ha ha Durhamjen ! Good point. My answer is books, but I try to keep them on shelves as much as possible. I was brought up in a tidy house where everything had its place, so have had to adapt a lot over the last 43 years. Every flat surface in this house gets covered in DH possessions. But he is worth it grin

seacliff Sun 27-Sep-15 18:33:11

I have a 6 foot high x 2.6" foot wide bookcase in my little sitting room - and now all my books have to fit in there. Any over, and I make myself prune them down and give some to charity. I must admit though I usually have a few stacked in front as well.

My husband has a smaller bookcase where he keeps his (mainly technical boring books)

I have loads of non fiction - good gardening books etc, and some I had as a present as a child from loved ones, that I can't bear to lose, some of my Dads favourites too. There are a number of hardback fiction I had in recent years as gifts, I feel a bit mean getting rid of them, but probably won't read themm again.

Now I have my beloved Kindle I don't have half as many" read it once and chuck paperbacks" cuttering the bookcase.