Gransnet forums

Chat

How long should sheets last?

(49 Posts)
NudeJude Tue 27-Oct-15 08:39:01

Hi there

I'm canvassing opinion on how long you would expect a linen sheet to last. I purchased one 15 months ago, and it has worn so thin where your feet go that it's gone into a hole already, do you think this is acceptable wear? I should perhaps say that it's on for a week and off for a week so only been used effectively for half that 15 months.

janeainsworth Tue 27-Oct-15 16:18:19

nudejude I would get back to them and mention the Sale of Goods Act which states that goods have to be fit for purpose.
It is not unreasonable to expect a linen sheet to last for many years so one which is in holes after 15 months is clearly not fit for purpose.
I would also include the words 'Trading Standards' in your email too.
The combination of those two terms might give them pause for thought and possibly upgrade their offer wink

Lona Tue 27-Oct-15 17:04:47

I agree with Jane, in fact, I tried to post the very same thing but I couldn't remember anything except "fit for purpose"!
blushgrin

Anne58 Tue 27-Oct-15 17:53:17

Sorry to divert slightly, but just wanted to ask Jingl what she meant about people who but linen sheets having their colour gene removed? confused

Anne58 Tue 27-Oct-15 17:53:48

BUY not but! blush

Sewsilver Tue 27-Oct-15 17:54:29

I have some linen sheets inherited from my Godmother which have the date 1928 on the laundry label. They are fine and are used regularly along with matching pillowcases. So I think it's totally unacceptable that you have holes in yours NudeJude.

janeainsworth Tue 27-Oct-15 19:08:57

Lona grin

thatbags Tue 27-Oct-15 20:31:02

Hmm. If I had what I thought was some linen fabric and it was easier to iron than cotton, I would doubt the authenticity of its linenness. Either that or it's excessively thin. No way should a linen sheet show any significant signs of wear in the time you've mentioned, NJ. Linen is tough stuff and you deserve a full refund.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 27-Oct-15 21:04:44

phoenix the 'colours' on the website mentioned are not very 'colourful'. And I always think of linen as being, well, linen coloured.

harrigran Tue 27-Oct-15 23:24:01

I would expect linen to last tens of years. I bought fitted sheets from M&S that were thrown away after one use because of pilling. In the winter I use cotton jersey fitted sheets and they typically last one winter before developing holes.

Sugarpufffairy Wed 28-Oct-15 00:06:08

I have my grandmother's linen sheets. She was married in 1913 and died in 1968 so unless she got sheets from her mother I presume they could have been wedding presents. There are plain pillowcases and embroidered pillowcases. There are no holey sheets.
Now that was quality
SPF

Grandma2213 Wed 28-Oct-15 00:35:31

Surely 15 months is no time to have a sheet before it wears out.

I have two white cotton hotel sheets bought from the market over 20 years ago and they have been used as top sheets (a week on - a week off) ever since then. They are thinner but still have years left I think.

feetlebaum I throw off the duvet in the night when I'm too hot and then pull it up again when I get colder hence the need for a top sheet as I like to be covered!

Ironing! Never. I fold it carefully after washing and then pull it tight over the bed, tucking it in well (hospital corners of course).

Does anyone remember 'sides to middling'?. My mother used to cut sheets worn in the middle and stitch them back together with the sides then in the middle. It was so uncomfortable to roll onto that seam in the night. I still sleep on the edge of the bed even though I'm on my own.

thatbags Wed 28-Oct-15 07:03:07

I remember sides to middling. I've done it myself.

I think some of youse must have sharp toenails. The only time I've had holey sheets is when they were very very old and wearing very thin. Wearing holes in sheets only a year or two old means, to me, that they are crap quality. I'd rather pay more so I could forget about buying sheets for many years.

dorsetpennt Wed 28-Oct-15 09:37:49

Do you remember the term 'sheet to the middle' ? Which meant that when a sheet was becoming a bit thin in the middle, it was cut down in the middle and the sides sewn together and the edges hemmed. My mother often had to do this due to my father's long toe nails. My mother was a young woman during the war , like many of her generation followed the adage 'make do and mend'. She'd be horrified at the amount of waste is generated these days.

Nelliemoser Wed 28-Oct-15 17:53:44

Totally unacceptable. It must be made of poor quality cotton. The trouble is I doubt if any company does a guarantee on how long they should last.

How much did they cost compared with other brands?

NudeJude Wed 28-Oct-15 18:36:04

Hi there everyone

Thanks to you all giving your opinions, I had to the courage to go back to Soak & Sleep to do battle. I mentioned that I had canvassed opinion on a forum, and that I was a good customer who has spent a lot of money with them. I also mentioned Trading Standards and that the item obviously wasn't 'fit for purpose', and they suddenly did an about face and instead of the 10% refund that had previously been offered, have now agreed to send me a replacement sheet. Hopefully this one will wear better than the first.

In answer to your question Nelliemoser, they're definitely marked 100% linen, and at £40 for one sheet which was a special offer at the time, they're normally £45, it wasn't exactly cheap, especially when you can get a good cotton percale flat sheet from Debenhams for £16.00.

Thanks once again for all your opinions and support.

Judi

janeainsworth Wed 28-Oct-15 20:57:05

Well done Judi!
Result grin

lifebegins Wed 16-Sep-20 21:07:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Urmstongran Wed 16-Sep-20 21:22:01

This is from 2015 ‼️

Jaxjacky Wed 16-Sep-20 21:34:57

Ironing sheets ?

Jayt Wed 16-Sep-20 22:12:28

I have some poly cotton sheets that have been used for over 25 years. I also have a cotton sheet that is still in good shape after 53 years; admittedly it hasn’t been used for quite a long time but it’s still in one bit. I’d be very angry if any sheet lasted for such a short time and I’d go back to them and insist on better recompense

Jayt Wed 16-Sep-20 22:14:59

Sorry, just realised that this question has been resurrected after five years. Is there any way to stop this happening administrators?

JenniferEccles Wed 16-Sep-20 22:22:45

I wonder how many sheets the OP has got through since 2015 ?!!

annodomini Wed 16-Sep-20 22:41:24

Reported Lifebegins. Using old thread for advertising.