Gransnet forums

Chat

Don't call him babe!

(48 Posts)
grapefruit Wed 18-Nov-15 20:46:37

My son brought his girlfriend to visit us last weekend. She's seems quite nice and although this is only the third time we've met her, we get on quite well. But I couldn't help noticing how often she called him 'babe'. Every sentence started with. 'But, babe, we should go out now' or whatever. Drove me mad! I really had to bite my tongue to keep from shouting, 'His name is Gareth!!'

Rubyredshoes Thu 19-Nov-15 19:28:40

Here in Bristol the term of endearment is lover! "How are you my lover", "there you go my lover", "there's your change my lover". I hear these on a daily basis but I still can't quite get used to it. I think I expect to turn around and see my late mother standing there with a wait until I get you home expression on her face.

sparkygran Thu 19-Nov-15 19:47:02

downtoearth have a bunch of flowersbrewwine on me. Dealing with illness of loved one is so difficult take care of yourself too

downtoearth Thu 19-Nov-15 20:29:34

thank you *notspaghetti,matella and sparky*xx

feetlebaum Thu 19-Nov-15 20:55:16

@Rubyredshoes - In Cornwall 'my lover' was very common - I worked on a weighbridge in a Clay harbour, and I must confess it seemed a little odd to be addressed as 'my lover' (Or 'my bird' or of course 'my 'andsome') by a hulking great lorry driver - I was a bloke in my twenties...

Envious Thu 19-Nov-15 21:34:10

I agree with grapefruit it can be tiresome to hear a pet name over and over.

ninathenana Thu 19-Nov-15 23:59:58

I know "my lover" is common in the West country, odd that mum and my grannie never used it. They were both born near Bristol.

Coolgran65 Fri 20-Nov-15 00:16:09

My DH calls me Pet or Lamb, I call him My Love or Sweetheart within the family/friend circle. I think it comes from closeness and is comforting. Where I live the term Love is used very generally and I'd never be offended.

However, during the course of his employment my DH was a witness in a court prosecution. The female Barrister asked him a question to which he said ( unprofessional I agree) Could you repeat that Love!!

Said Barrister replied with a strump that she was not his 'Love' and not to address her as such. The Court laughed and the Judge asked that she accept the term in the manner in which it was intended.

Elrel Fri 20-Nov-15 00:29:30

My 15 year old granddaughter tells me that her headteacher calls the older girls 'babe'. They are not impressed by him and nor am I!

Nvella Fri 20-Nov-15 00:31:52

Don't mind any other endearment except for babe and my particular hate - hun!

thatbags Fri 20-Nov-15 09:25:03

I think I'd object to that, elrel. A headteacher shouldn't be using endearments to pupils but perhaps he doesn't regard the term as an endearment. I rather hope not!

None of the other uses would bother me at all, not even being called dear by a nurse. My surname's unpronounceable to most people anyway even, or perhaps especially, if they see it written down.

Dear, duck, luv, etc are fine with me, or my first name. I'm also fine with not being called anything by people who don't know me from Eve.

Bellanonna Fri 20-Nov-15 09:51:48

And more specifically a North Eastener? I quite like pet when it comes from there.

Bellanonna Fri 20-Nov-15 10:02:22

Got that in the wrong place. It was a segue from NinatheNana's comment

Bellanonna Fri 20-Nov-15 10:05:33

Not her above comment about Bristol. The one before about " the North".
Think I'll go away and play somewhere else !

ninathenana Fri 20-Nov-15 15:11:23

gringrin Well I knew what you mrant

ninathenana Fri 20-Nov-15 15:12:27

meant

Elrel Fri 20-Nov-15 23:07:03

@feetlebaum - laughing, not out loud but quietly to myself, at the mental image conjured up by your post!

anneliz Sat 21-Nov-15 08:58:11

The name I can't stand is 'hubby'. It it somehow demeaning and emasculating. It brings to my mind an image of a little henpecked, dominated chap in a beige cardigan walking two laces behind his wife, doing what he's told!
Sorry, I know lots of people use it and it's supposed to be affectionate but do they get called 'wifey' in return? I don't think so...

(Off to put on my protective gear and stand by for the onslaught of protests from those who call their husbands 'hubby' )

anneliz Sat 21-Nov-15 08:58:49

Two paces not two laces (fat fingers!)

Sadiesnan Sun 22-Nov-15 21:33:24

It's hard being a MIL. That's all.

Cher53 Mon 23-Nov-15 00:44:11

anneliz, I use hubby and I think I have used it in a post here somewhere. TBH I don't use it that often. (you will be glad to know) smile

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 23-Nov-15 00:55:28

I don't like hubby either. blush There's two words I don't like and hubby is one of them and grub as in food is the other. grin

Iam64 Mon 23-Nov-15 06:51:09

I dislike the word "hubby", don't like the way it sounds and feel it suggests some kind of ownership of the life partner or husband. Yuk. It's almost as bad as referring to your female life partner or wife, as "the wife" bigger yuk