Gransnet forums

Chat

Tips for keeping trim over Christmas

(34 Posts)
minimo Wed 02-Dec-15 12:19:34

It's only the 2nd of Dec and I can already feel my waistband cutting into me. We've had two birthday celebrations in November and a weekend visiting friends and of course I had to start sampling the shop's mince pies to decide which are best... wink I usually don't worry too much at Christmas time but I've really tried hard this year to lose some weight healthily and am very happy with my size. Would hate to see all that good work go to waste. Any good tips to stay healthy/trim without going antisocial?

whitewave Wed 02-Dec-15 12:21:21

Don't eat

kittylester Wed 02-Dec-15 12:33:22

Don't worry!

Iam64 Wed 02-Dec-15 13:27:22

keep off the sweets, cakes, pies, avoid chocolates, cream and cheese. Yes, though so, it'd take a lot of the joy out of the season, wouldn't it.
Walk, keep active and once we're in mid Jan, get a grip and revert to eating less indulgently tchsmile

Ana Wed 02-Dec-15 13:33:17

And lay off the booze! (Or at least, don't drink too much of it...tchwink

HildaW Wed 02-Dec-15 13:54:44

I go down the 'little and good' avenue. Quality over quantity - it might seem a tad expensive initially but I'd rather have one box of really high end chocolates and take my time over them than a lot of cheap filling stuff.

Same goes for wine too....I've gone on to Organic wine as I think the fewer sulphides are better for me....so its more expensive and I honestly don't feel the need to guzzle several glasses at a time now.

Any 'lower quality' gifts I get remain unopened and find their way to charity raffles etc....I find if I loose them in the back of the cupboard I forget they are there (its a recent thing....must be getting a bit gaga) in the past things would yell at me from the back of the cupboard.

Anya Wed 02-Dec-15 14:13:46

Limit Christmas indulgence to Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Any unopened boxes of chocolates, biscuits, cakes etc take to the local homeless charity. Any opened ones feed to the chickens/grandchildren/birds or bin.

tchhmm

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Dec-15 14:33:15

Don't forget, there is a lot of goodness in Xmas cake. So if you have a big piece, cut down on your usual meal.

TBH it's Xmas fairs that are my undoing. Been to two in a row (Saturdays) so far, and another one coming up this Saturday. Oh! but those old dears can bake! (and are not too lazy to do it - like me)

tanith Wed 02-Dec-15 14:51:46

I try to just eat fruit for my lunch then I don't feel so bad if I indulge..

grannyactivist Wed 02-Dec-15 15:02:30

I'm in Manchester taking a few hours off from looking after my mum and exploring the Christmas markets. In spite of being assailed by some wonderful food smells I'm pleased that my usual desire to sample everything is gone. I bought a couple of chicken drumsticks, which I ate on the hoof and that's it. I'm quite pleased that I've not even felt tempted away from my HFLC eating plan. (I just tried a couple of size 16 coats on and they were too big - I haven't been a size 14 for more than ten years!!)

HildaW Wed 02-Dec-15 15:23:55

P.S. I have also found that I'm finally old enough to say to myself.....'wait until Friday evening/Christmas eve etc etc and then open a bottle/have a pudding etc and really enjoy it' when tempted to nibble. I can actually look forward to an, almost, guilt free session of indulgence and enjoy the wait. When said date arrives I am usually less driven by the munchy demons and can enjoy my treat without going overboard.

I think the damage used to be done by my permanently trying to deny myself and then giving in uncontrollably....starting with a 'good' snack finding that did not satisfy and resorting to the 'naughty' stuff as well.....then going down the 'oh well, damage is done I might as well go whole hog'.

The other trick is to 'Do' something......go for a walk....bit of extra cleaning, wrap the presents properly.....rather that 'NOT Do'....as in' Not eating' this and that.

Anya Wed 02-Dec-15 16:06:42

Very true Hilda totally agree with all the points you make.

M0nica Wed 02-Dec-15 16:17:04

Only eat once a day. I am usually too busy Christmas morning to have trouble avoiding food. I then eat as much as I want at Christmas lunch and that leaves me full enough not to want to eat anything else for the rest of the day. If I am hungry in the evening I have a slice of cold turkey and salad veg. I do the same every day until the family go home.

I am fortunate I do not have a sweet tooth nor do I particularly like most savoury nibbles, I do not buy them or have them on view. I think it is the 'in-between' eating that does the damage.

NathalieMartin Wed 02-Dec-15 16:37:40

I think people should avoid the temptation to eat leftovers and stuff themselves further in the days following Christmas. Many people take the festive season as a signal to overeat and make themselves feel ill as much as possible.

It's tempting because everyone gets into the spirit of Christmas, especially if you have a big family, you can give into peer pressure. The booze also doesn't help, as Christmas is also a time to drink beer from breakfast to bedtime, and that certainly doesn't help our waistlines.

Funnily enough, I was going to get a colleague a Christmas weight watching book as one of my secret Santa ideas for work, but then I thought it would probably be interpreted as mean spirited, so I decided against it.

But for anyone interested: www.red5.co.uk/christmas-gifts/secret-santa-ideas-for-work.aspx

Personally, I don't think I'll show much restraint this Christmas, I have a fiendish taste for things both sweet and savoury, so I'm preparing myself!

rosesarered Wed 02-Dec-15 17:03:00

Look, it's Christmas,there will be relatives and friends and parties and gatherings and eatings and drinkings! Enjoy it all.

Teetime Wed 02-Dec-15 17:32:09

Hide the scales until January and wear something stretchy.tchsmile

granjura Wed 02-Dec-15 18:35:42

I've been trying so hard and lost 1/2 stone in 3 weeks- and will keep going until we go to the UK and will really try my hardest not to put weight back on- but won't be trying to lose any over Xmas and really strart again in earnest after we return here. It is heart breaking and so depressing to put all the weight back again over the festivities, just not worth it. So will have the meat and veggies, and no spuds, etc- and the odd mince pie and small slice of xmas cake- and some wonderful British cheeses. Will have a glass of wine with special meals- and then water. This time, I meant business- I have no choice if I want my knee op.

Iam64 Wed 02-Dec-15 18:57:57

Good advice from Teetime and roses are red. It's once a year folks, enjoy it.

Just seen your post GJ - good luck in keeping the weight off.

Tegan Wed 02-Dec-15 19:10:26

My downfall at Christmas is cream; I love cream and rarely eat it during the year but, have some at Christmas and then want to keep eating it. What I've done this year is eat a lot of the sort of stuff I only eat at Christmas time so I don't go crazy over it then. Unfortunately I seem to be careering into the festive season several pounds heavier than I intended to be. However, we're having a very basic Christmas and my daughter wants Christmas dinner to be a simplified version. If I can just get those pounds off over the next few weeks I might be ok. I tried some dresses on last night [I very rarely wear dresses] and, to my horror I only just squeezed into them.

Cherrytree59 Wed 02-Dec-15 22:06:14

I too love everything sweet and savoury! But I have a new visitor this year Acid reflux. I didn't think there was an upside to it, goodies will have to stay in the box sad but maybe I won't Pinch more than an inch come January
But love turkey sandwiches grin

Misha14 Thu 03-Dec-15 15:37:22

Ladies, enjoy. If we can relax about food we don't over eat. Over eating makes you feel uncomfortable anyway. My tip would be that if you're not doing it already, try the 5 2 diet, so you can indulge for 5 days and fast for 2. I've been doing it for about 2 years now and can honestly say that if I eat too much I actually look forward to the days when I'm on a mere 500 cals.

Daddima Thu 03-Dec-15 16:03:39

If you worry about a few pounds, register here;

www.myfitnesspal.com

winifred01 Thu 03-Dec-15 16:18:11

Agree about the 5-2 diet ,I have lost 3stones over the past couple of years and have kept at my new weight for 6 months. Means you can eat at a party and fast next day, so maintaining weight.

Teacher11 Thu 03-Dec-15 16:22:20

Eat a small breakfast and all but skip lunch. I have observed over the years that slim women just don't do lunch. Then eat reasonably in the evenings. If you indulge in one thing leave out something else. David Niven, the actor, said in his autobiography that he kept his slim film star physique by weighing himself daily. If he put on a pound he skipped a meal. Keep focussed on your regime as if you forget you'll over indulge. I have a really strict eating plan in the week (but ensure I cover all the main, necessary food groups and eat fruit) and then, at the weekend, I eat what I want. I only drink from Friday to Sunday too.

Champagne is the drink of weight watchers. Just sayin'.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 03-Dec-15 18:22:10

Yes to the 5:2 diet. I know what you mean about looking forward to the diet days after a blow-out visit to the family, Misha14. I never thought I would be so happy to see a bit of brown bread and a banana! We've been on it for about 20 months and are both around our target weights, but we know that if we enjoy Christmas and New Year and put on some weight, it'll come off again without too much trouble.