Gransnet forums

Chat

The Soop Kitchen

(1001 Posts)
thatbags Fri 04-Dec-15 08:13:52

soop gave me a key so her you are, folks, the new extension. Plate of crumbly oatcakes on the side there with the coffee and tea pots.

thatbags Sun 06-Dec-15 13:39:08

Not much hope of getting stuff done outside today so I baked some cranberry and white choc chip muffins. They smell divine. Help yourselves, soopies. Make sure you reserve the two best ones for nelliem. Comfort food, nellie. Hope you feel better soon, whatever it is that's bringing you own right now flowers

soop Sun 06-Dec-15 14:23:47

A breezy hello to bags...I swear that I can smell the freshly baked muffins here in Kintyre.

Rory was sitting all prim and proper-like on his mat when up sidled Tortoiseshell kitten. She pranced around him and did the usual gentle nudge thing...he didn't tap her on the cheek with his paw...she then eased passed him and tried to walk into the utility room. Rory was not amused. He hissed and she scarpered. Mind you, she hasn't gone far. They are now engaging in a stare-me-down on the steps outside the door. wink

loopylou Sun 06-Dec-15 14:24:33

((Hugs)) nelliem flowers too x

Well I have just made a couple of pineapple upside down cakes, so here's one with a tub of double cream, bugger the calories, it such a miserably damp and grey Sunday afternoon.
I'm trying to finish knitting an Aran jacket for my grandnephew (that makes me sound ancient!) and the patterns driving me mad, hence decided to do some baking instead.....

Alea Sun 06-Dec-15 14:34:37

I am researching /product tasting testing Nigella's salted chocolate tart (base Oreos, chocs and butter) filling - melted 70% chocolate, cocoa powder, double cream , a little strong espresso coffee, a little slaked cornflour - and would welcome your opinion.
I think it might take several attempts to get it quite right. tchgrin

Charleygirl Sun 06-Dec-15 14:37:12

All these yummy scrumptious cakes and muffins- I love them, just look at my tum!

It is dull, a bit windy and wet here, the heating is on and I am dutifully employed here rather than writing Christmas cards.

loopylou Sun 06-Dec-15 14:41:09

Ooer Alea tchgrin
I'm surprised pompa hasn't smelt that!

soop Sun 06-Dec-15 15:07:44

Yes indeed! Pompa Where you be? Us lot miss your company.

loopylou take a photo of the jacket when it's finished please.

Alea I have shoved in front of the long queue of ready and willing tasters. Hurry up and get slicing. A modest huge slice for little o' me. wink

Charleygirl I loathe writing Christmas cards. Something that I choose to leave until the very last minute.

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Dec-15 15:52:21

Thank you all for your concern. It's largely down to the stress of living with OH. Who seems to live on another planet.
Basically he is not a bad guy at all. BUT

He has all the signs of Aspergers but does not want to know and I am really tired of having someone around who talks at me all the time. I mean he rarely talks to me, or asks about how anyone else is.
He never really appears to listen to what someone else is saying and sends listeners glassy eyed with boredom so no one really wants to be around him.

His normal in social chit chat type of conversation is poor or non existent,. He can tell (recite) a joke but has no natural sense of humour.
Then there is his anxiety over starting any new task and is always being late so he is constantly in a panic. Which is when I walk out of the room.

The more I see of normal happy couples with a sense of humour the more I realise what I am missing. So I am feeling rather isolated and fed up at present.

When one is already in a worried and miserable mood mode, Christmas is just another thing to endure. Right now I am worrying about just about anything that comes along, whether it is a reasonable worry or not.

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Dec-15 16:00:23

I have just realised I have a stash of Moser Roth Chocolate I bought for Christmas. Well I have about three weeks to get some more.

annsixty Sun 06-Dec-15 16:05:02

Nellie flowers from someone who knows EXACTLY what you mean.

soop Sun 06-Dec-15 16:37:54

Nellie If we can help you just a little by listening to whatever it is that is depressing you...then please keep talking to us. I am truly sorry that things between you and your husband are miserable. Do you have an understanding family member or friend in which you can confide? If not, may I suggest that you talk matters over with your GP. I hate to think of you feeling so alone. You need and deserve support. flowers

soop Sun 06-Dec-15 17:52:37

I must log off until tomorrow. Cats to feed! Wishing you all (especially Nellie) a peaceful evening. moon

Luckygirl Sun 06-Dec-15 17:59:24

Sorry life is tough nellie - has OH always been a bit like that; or is age just making it worse?

I am not sure I know any "normal happy couples" - I think that a lot goes n under the radar that we do not see.

I recognise the punding (a word that describes the tendency of people with PD to ramble on, locked into a particular subject while those around them are expiring with boredom) scenario - I have selective deafness!

Take care and stay strong.

soop Mon 07-Dec-15 11:31:24

Good morning dear Kitcheners it's blowy and dampish with wee patches of blue sky. My heart goes out to the poor people who have flooded homes.

Luckygirl Your message to our Nellie is very kind and understanding. I really do wish that we could do more to support her. She needs and deserves appropriate support.

whenim64 Mon 07-Dec-15 12:07:01

Morning soop and all. It's a while since I came to relax in here - lots of busy-ness going on in my family, but settling nicely now. Nellymoser I hope being able to off load on here helps and it looks like some of us are going to meet up for a chat and lunch later this week. I've brought some toasted crumpets dripping with butter and a fresh pot of coffee - help yourselves. I like what you've done with the Christmas decorations soop.
tchsmile

annodomini Mon 07-Dec-15 12:28:53

Oh when, you are a temptress.grin How did you know I yearned for buttered crumpets? Nellie, this can be a depressing time of year and your OH's inability to connect must make it so much worse. I hope to see you soon. Meanwhile, when's crumpets should brighten your day. smile

soop Mon 07-Dec-15 12:56:30

Crumpets! Dripping with butter! Oh boy! I shall fetch a large plate and join you in the perfect treat. tchgrin

soop Tue 08-Dec-15 12:47:47

Home again having visited the ladies in the care home. A couple of newcomers were sound asleep in their chairs. One very dear lady was attempting to tell me something important, but sadly lost the thread every so often. We never did reach a conclusion. However, as I was leaving, she gave me the "thumbs up" and smiled. I was pleased that she, at long last, had solved the problem to her great satisfaction.

It isn't such a grim day here in Kintyre. In fact the sun has been shining.

I've decided to clear and clean the kitchen cupboards this afternoon. Don't ask shock I have no idea why it seems to be such a good idea.

Galen Tue 08-Dec-15 13:24:19

My new baskets on runners have arrived!
To explain:- I have a large larder type cupboard in my kitchen. I can never get things out of the back of any of the shelves or indeed the lower ones. I have invested in wire baskets that will pull out on runners ( like drawers) Gary will come and fit them tomorrow.
I might get organised at last!

Luckygirl Tue 08-Dec-15 13:29:34

We have a brilliant larder where all the basket-type shelves slide out as you open the door; I was entranced with it (as are the GC!) and chose it rather than a waist-high oven - which was very silly, as I cannot bend down to my oven now!

I am planning to ice the Christmas cake today so that DGD can "decorate" it when she comes tomorrow.

loopylou Tue 08-Dec-15 13:55:53

What a brilliant solution Galen and Luckygirl, just what I need when I get my new kitchen (next year I hope!).
I'm sick of getting down on hands and knees to rummage around in the darkest depths of my food cupboard (I dread to think about what might lurk in its deepest corners......) Whoever designed the kitchen 20+ years ago needs shooting, previous owner was allegedly an 'interior designer' but with very poor taste and who never used the kitchen so far as I can see tchsmile
One bedroom was painted very deep purple with a black ceiling...another had vertically striped wallpaper but it wasn't vertical if you see what I mean.

Charleygirl Tue 08-Dec-15 14:58:16

soop I have beaten you to it and cleared out one kitchen cupboard to the extent that I have a carrier bag full of goodies for the charity shop. This you realise was done when I was supposed to be writing cards, like now!

loopylou at least you had the vision to buy the house even although it had strange (to me) bedroom paint colours on the walls and ceiling. I would need sunglasses I think. Still, paint is easier to cover than ceiling mirrors!!!

The sun was out for an hour today, it is mild but that I believe will change this evening.

Lona Tue 08-Dec-15 15:11:39

Hello everyone, at last I feel like a human again after a bout of what could only be 'manflu!' tchgrin
Nellie flowers you must feel like screaming sometimes.
Well, I've brought mince pies and some delicious brandy sauce. I'm warming some now, so help yourselves. I've just been for a mammogram in our new screening clinic, and it was even more painful than the old machine! Surely someone could invent a machine that doesn't hurt our delicate bits.

I should be writing cards now so why is the kettle calling to me? Naughty Lona!tchhmm

soop Tue 08-Dec-15 15:15:09

Cupboards sparkling clean and as neat as a new pin. tchgrin

Galen That Garry is a man of many talents. He must be one of the most sought after handymen in your area. Mind you, he seems to prefer doing "stuff" for you. I bet he gets a slice of something tasty with his morning coffee! tchwink

loopylou When the youngest son was a teenager, we allowed him to paint his bedroom to his liking. One wall was black, on which he painted one of his own poems, one tangerine and another purple. My father gasped when he saw it..."it looks like hell" he muttered. My son grinned and replied...good! That's how I like it.

As for mirrored ceilings...Ghastly!

Galen Tue 08-Dec-15 15:20:24

Soopshock what DO you mean?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion