Gransnet forums

Chat

It's such a warm December that...

(102 Posts)
JessM Sat 19-Dec-15 15:19:56

We don't need the heating on in the days - in fact I'm too hot in the house.
Its unbearably hot when you go into shops in outdoor clothes.
I went for a walk in a howling gale without doing up my coat.
I have stashed away the vests and thermal leggings.
Andll sorts of things are coming into bloom - campanula, wallflowers and these three cornered leeks that normally bloom in April-May.

Bellanonna Sun 20-Dec-15 15:44:01

The song thrush was singing away this morning from some nearby woodland.

loopylou Sun 20-Dec-15 19:12:08

I have late tadpoles still growing in my wildlife pond. I just hope it stays mild so they have a hope of survival.

whitewave Sun 20-Dec-15 19:14:54

I saw a programme once that showed tadpoles in the Scottish Highlands and they seemed to survive through the winter because they didn't hatch until quite late on in the season because presumably of late frosts.

Perdita33 Sun 20-Dec-15 19:28:28

Still got the summer duvet on the bed.
My daughter is worrying about where she's going to put the turkey if there's no room in the fridge - normally you can use the porch, she'd, etc as an overflow fridge.

Cherrytree59 Sun 20-Dec-15 19:54:19

Beautiful sunny morning. Dh cut the Lawn. It seems to be enjoying the warm wet weather and growing long and thick. The ferns on shady side are still green. DD has lovely half barrels against. house wall with petunias and geraniums in bloom.
It all feels very strange with Christmas just few days awaytchconfused

tiredoldwoman Mon 21-Dec-15 04:41:47

I'm in St.Andrews in Scotland , no heating on this morning ,outside lavender and geraniums re-flowering !

friends123 Mon 21-Dec-15 10:29:31

Winter hasn't gone yet

ninathenana Mon 21-Dec-15 11:10:49

Winter hasn't arrived yet !!

If you mean there's still time for a change in the weather, I think we're all prepared for that. January, February are often the coldest months.
On a lighter note they're saying Summer '16 will be a scorcher.

apricot Mon 21-Dec-15 19:55:03

Today's the shortest day and "As the days grow longer, the cold grows stronger".

etheltbags1 Mon 21-Dec-15 20:21:50

Here in Northumberland my roses are in bloom, my lavender bush and hebe are flowering and im going to the shops in a summer jacket. I love it and its a welcome saving on my heating bills but I would love to see some nice crispy white snow.(just for a day or so).

lujaha Tue 22-Dec-15 20:35:13

primroses in flower in north yorkshire today

loopylou Tue 22-Dec-15 21:03:09

Picked a strawberry and ate it today, delicious. More still developing too!

whitewave Tue 22-Dec-15 21:08:04

If all the daffs come out early it will be a bit bare come the proper spring.

ninathenana Wed 23-Dec-15 00:18:03

Just what DH and I were saying yesterday whitewave

Pittcity Wed 23-Dec-15 07:59:50

Just read that it's 21C in New York today and that it will be back to it's usual 4C by Monday. Now that's extreme!

JessM Wed 23-Dec-15 09:22:31

The clouds have parted here, just for today, so a chance to get outside and get some daylight. I think the frontrunners on this thread as far as "its still warm" are the strawberries - which are presumably late ones rather than early and the outdoor drinks party.
I think the tiara for signs of an early spring is still open and will run a while yet smile

Pittcity Wed 23-Dec-15 10:43:42

Our local Christmas ice rink has gone into liquidation ( pun intended ) because it has been too warm!

loopylou Wed 23-Dec-15 10:50:22

And ours too Pittcity!
I've just found a Red Admiral butterfly in the utility room fluttering around so have reluctantly put it out on the penstemons, I hope it survives.

There are Blue Tits going in and out of the bird nesting box.....surely they won't start nesting yet tchhmm?

Wonderfully sunny here in Wiltshire, just what I need. Will get out for a walk later.

Luckygirl Wed 23-Dec-15 11:05:12

Primroses out in the lane today!

Charleygirl Wed 23-Dec-15 12:51:55

My grass is now looking at its best, dark green and lush. The bulbs are popping up- I only hope that the hedgehogs do not think that spring has arrived early.

It is sunny and warm in NW London, long may it continue.

tiredoldwoman I do envy you- my old stomping ground. You can enjoy a walk along the sands although no doubt it will be cold there.

ninathenana Wed 23-Dec-15 13:02:24

DH and I are both wearing T-shirts and haven't had the heating on at all apart from after dark.

Maranta Wed 23-Dec-15 13:37:49

I just seen some celandines in flower. It will be interesting to see what happens in the proper Spring.?

thatbags Wed 23-Dec-15 14:00:29

Saw some gorse flowers this morning, possibly autumn gorse rather than common gorse. Both are very common round here. But I think the yellow I thought was a Welsh poppy the other day was an old bramble leaf. Temp up to 6° so far today and the heating is on. Different world from further south!

Elegran Wed 23-Dec-15 14:50:49

"Kissing is out of season when the gorse is out of bloom" ie never.

JessM Wed 23-Dec-15 18:15:36

The (Welsh?) version is "kissing's in season when the gorse is in bloom" smile