Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it just old age ....

(58 Posts)
Tizliz Wed 06-Jan-16 18:27:02

This week I have

a) forgotten to add yeast to the bread
b) forgotten to remove the oven cleaner before using the oven
c) left the office door open - we have three dogs, luckily only one went out.
d) left bleach in the teapot
e) left the warming drawer on all evening
f) something else but I have forgotten what it is :-)

I never have a very good memory but this lot is exceptional. I am a bit stressed so hopefully it is only that but my brother is losing his memory to the point he is not allowed to drive and has had to retire.

Do others have the same sort of problems - I am 62 (I think!)

Mancunianma Tue 12-Jan-16 12:31:43

Oops.....but I don't know how to use this site....repeating myself!! eek! :-(

Mancunianma Tue 12-Jan-16 12:29:20

I write things down......into lists!!

Mancunianma Tue 12-Jan-16 12:25:55

I write things down......into lists!! smile

NanKate Sun 10-Jan-16 20:18:04

Slight diversion. Maggiemaybe my favourite singer of all time is Stevie Wonder, closely followed by Elvis. You said he only had a few hits, I must differ in my view to that of yours such as:

Superstition
Signed Sealed Delivered
You are the sunshine of my life
Ebony and Ivory
Happy Birthday
As
Hundreds more ......

He is great live but sadly doesn't do the big shows anymore in the UK.

Back to the thread. I read today that people with dementia forget how to make a cuppa or put food in the airing cupboard, not the list of forgetfulness we have been listing on this thread, thankfully.

Nanevon Sun 10-Jan-16 11:03:31

Talking about leaving keys in the front door - a few weeks ago I got my husband in the car. He needs help as he has an oxygen bottle with him. But I forgot to go back and lock up and put the alarm on. Imagine my surprise when I got back - not only had I left the keys in the front door but I had left it open. Now of course I check twice that I have in fact locked the door. I think life is so busy and hectic these days that its hard to keep all the balls in the air at once. That's my excuse anyway.

annodomini Sun 10-Jan-16 10:25:27

I love this thread because it proves to me that I am not alone in my many little foibles but also because it has given me a good laugh on a quiet Sunday morning. sunshine

Nelliemoser Sun 10-Jan-16 10:06:03

Dont get me started on GN as a source of burnt pans.

Nelliemoser Sun 10-Jan-16 10:03:44

Sourcerer48 grin I have done similar things with a wrong tube of cream."

Nelliemoser Sun 10-Jan-16 09:58:22

Tizliz You have probably hit the nail on the head by "being a bit stressed" I get like that.

Speechgirl1 Sun 10-Jan-16 08:55:41

Well all of that makes me feel a lot better. My main problem is doing something and half way through task noticing something else that needs doing so diverting onto that task. I think I do it because I know I won't recall task 2 after I go back to task 1. In this way I can get in a right muddle with several half done tasks that I have to work backwards through. Writing it down just makes it sound even more loopy!

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Jan-16 08:55:19

With me it's names and facts. I often have to go through the alphabet to give myself a clue to a very familiar or a very famous name. And then go through it again. Yesterday I was trying to think of songs by Stevie Wonder and came up with two. What a relief that he's had so few hits wink

NanKate Sun 10-Jan-16 08:09:13

This thread has calmed some of my worries about losing it, as there has been plenty of good advice.

I find I am standing by the wrong cupboard to put things away in the kitchen when I know full well where things go. I went to put milk in my tea when I found I had already done this hmm that sort if thing.

It helped when someone said the more stressed you are the worse it is.

So I have taken myself in hand, calmed down. Keep adding things to my To Do List as I think of them. Have a note pad by my bed. Concentrate when putting things away in the kitchen.

The last couple of days I have felt much better and have been less forgetful. Long may it last.

Grandma2213 Sun 10-Jan-16 00:05:05

Today my DGC had cheese and ham wraps for lunch. As the pack was still half full but ripped I carefully put it in a sandwich bag to prevent them from going stale. I later found them placed in the drawer where I keep the sandwich bags, bin liners, cling film etc!

tiredoldwoman DGS would never brag about me!! Daddy is still 'Superdad' no matter what I do! I don't play football as well as him!

Greenfinch Sat 09-Jan-16 22:33:34

grin

rosesarered Sat 09-Jan-16 21:57:33

I surpassed myself this evening and somehow ( how) ? put a teatowel in the oven along with the dish of gratin potatoes that I was cooking.Luckily I returned to the kitchen about ten mins later and spotted it in there through the glass door.It was red hot, but ok.

Lynnabelle Sat 09-Jan-16 18:14:31

I too have had one of those weeks. I make coffee every morning for myself and oh. This week I forgot to put the water in the coffee filter machine , the next day I forgot to put the filter in. I put some little mini quiches in the oven and forgot them until they were a tad over cooked. Just managed to catch the boiled eggs as the pan burnt dry. My oh calls me memory woman (sarcastic beggar). Not that he's much better. I think stress and having too much to do plays a major part.

NfkDumpling Sat 09-Jan-16 13:12:03

TerriS - Thank you! Thank you! I feel reasonably normal again - although I do forget the names of things with great regularity, I always have so I guess it's ok.

Bellanonna Sat 09-Jan-16 12:09:24

littlegran. You sound very sorted !

littlegran Sat 09-Jan-16 11:39:54

I am 93 .find it best to always put everything in the same place,double check that I have turned the taps off and the cooker rings.never use candles although often get them as gifts,pass them on to DD.could be a lot worse.

annodomini Sat 09-Jan-16 11:02:15

Just before Christmas, I bought a diary. Now I can't find it anywhere. I have two calendars, plus calendars that 'talk' to each other on my laptop and phone. But I still like to have one that I can write memos in. It must be somewhere in the chaos that surrounds me! I can find many years' diaries in drawers, but not the new one.

milkflake Sat 09-Jan-16 10:12:39

Good to hear its not just me smile I can't live without my diary now whereas before I could remember all the dates.
I lose things all the time too.
I think we all tend to be thinking of a lot of things at once so we forget some. We could get away with it when we were younger, but sadly our brain cells do die off as we age.
I have a friend with dementia and its so sad to see her this way. So like Tizwiz I do worry .

Anya Sat 09-Jan-16 07:19:38

hmm

tiredoldwoman Sat 09-Jan-16 06:42:02

Grandma2213, well done you , but remember no-one loves a show off ! ha ha !
Your wee dgs will be proudly bragging about his clever Granny !

TerriS Fri 08-Jan-16 20:58:37

Forgetting things is normal - if you were 20, you would just say it was because you: were hungover, studying too hard, stressed in your new job, doe-eyed and in love with the new person in your life, etc, etc... Because you are 'of a certain age' you have: dementia/Alzheimer's, suffering from the menopause, 'losing it', or any of a number of other stereotypical 'reasons' for forgetting something. As I said, forgetting is normal.

What is not normal is forgetting what you use the teapot for, putting the dishes in the airing cupboard, being unable to name familiar household items, seeing small animals or children that other people tell you are not there, hearing music/voices that no one else can hear or being unable to draw a clock face and place all the numbers in the right parts of the clock.

There are a number of tests on-line which should reassure you or inform you that further investigations might be warranted.

Sometimes it's just the hard-drive that is so over-full it's difficult to process everything that needs to be done/thought about!

PS - I'm a nurse, btw, hence how I have a little insight into memory/cognitive-related conditions.

Criticality Fri 08-Jan-16 15:07:56

I have really enjoyed reading about others having all the same problems as me! Although I have to confess that when my parents met my teacher after I started school at 5 yrs old my teacher was very positive and said I had a very good forgettery! I am even better at forgetting nowadays. Left the keys in the front door all over the Christmas holiday one year and the postman put a note through my door to tell me he had given them to my neighbour across the road. I was at home the whole time and so lucky no-one else noticed.