Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it just old age ....

(57 Posts)
Tizliz Wed 06-Jan-16 18:27:02

This week I have

a) forgotten to add yeast to the bread
b) forgotten to remove the oven cleaner before using the oven
c) left the office door open - we have three dogs, luckily only one went out.
d) left bleach in the teapot
e) left the warming drawer on all evening
f) something else but I have forgotten what it is :-)

I never have a very good memory but this lot is exceptional. I am a bit stressed so hopefully it is only that but my brother is losing his memory to the point he is not allowed to drive and has had to retire.

Do others have the same sort of problems - I am 62 (I think!)

rosesarered Wed 06-Jan-16 18:58:22

My memory has never been great either, but it does get worse with age, sigh.I almost burned out a pan last week , forgot it was on.So, it's not just you tizliz smile

grannylyn65 Wed 06-Jan-16 19:04:57

I think having a lot on your mind has a lot to do with it, based on my own experience!

loopylou Wed 06-Jan-16 19:51:35

I'm 62 too, and had a spell of thinking I was seriously losing it last year. Luckily it resolved itself by my consciously thinking about what I was doing (I'm guilty of not concentrating on what I'm doing!) and deliberately slowing down.
It wasn't easy after many years of working ridiculous hours and being unable to sit and do nothing but it seems to have worked!
It is definitely stress related.

Ana Wed 06-Jan-16 20:08:36

I've noticed it too, more especially since I retired, although I was only working part time.

I think the lack of a structured daily routine and sometimes less contact with other people can have a detrimental effect on our ability to focus on 'the here and now' which can lead to slight confusion and perceived memory loss.

Establishing a new routine would probably work for me, but I agree that stress can be a big factor.

Bellanonna Wed 06-Jan-16 20:14:07

Yes LL that's the answer ! I have to consciously tell myself what I've just done. Put the keys on the mantelpiece, parked the car beside the trolley hut thing, letter to post on the stairs. And so on. I always now check the hob knobs (gas top not biscuits !) before bed, and check I have actually turned lights out. I've done some of the things you list but not all on the same day. I think this time of year adds to our forgetfulness too but I feel reassured by friends all saying much the same. I recently left the keys in the front door overnight, and have more than once tried to open it remotely with the car key. Never mind. It might be more worrying if these things didn't bother us ?

loopylou Wed 06-Jan-16 20:21:20

I also upped drinking water (I was probably slightly dehydrated) and started talking a multivitamin tablet daily (I wasn't eating particularly well) so that possibly helped too?

MiniMouse Wed 06-Jan-16 21:07:22

I sometimes wonder if it's more a case of not registering things in the first place, rather than forgetting? We do things on autopilot - and of course all that multitasking takes its toll wink

Synonymous Wed 06-Jan-16 21:59:05

MiniMouse yes, multitasking, that is clearly 'it'! grin

Cher53 Thu 07-Jan-16 02:03:25

I'm not sure if with me it is menopause. I seem to lose a variety of things and don't start me about keys! I keep a diary because if I didn't I don't think I would be anywhere or mind to keep appointments. I even begin to say things and then the memory of what I wanted to speak about just goes in a flash. I then tend to text the person later when I have remembered what it is about.

tiredoldwoman Thu 07-Jan-16 05:05:27

Thank goodness we're all going loop the loop together . I've been doing all those things lately and now have semi given up the battle with University Challenge - my recall is slow and Jeremy Paxman isn't patient with me !! I now prefer quizzes where's there's a choice of 3 answers , I score high on those programmes !
I'm going to up my water intake, too , Loopylou !

Liz46 Thu 07-Jan-16 05:36:37

I've just sent off for a retractable key ring with a clip to attach it to my bag. Enough said!

smarti Thu 07-Jan-16 12:12:05

May I join this club please??? My hubby & I often ask the Alzheimers question but then comfort ourselves that so many of the younger people we know seem to do the same things as we do. I really do think that life is just busier now ( even though I am 'retired' ). I was reading one of Maeve Haran's terrific novels this week and was much amused to read a bout a character in the book who couldn't remember what a fork was called; his doctor said "come back when you forget what you do with it". I haven't got there yet so guess I'm ok after all.

Teetime Thu 07-Jan-16 12:20:28

I find myself day dreaming and getting lost in music a lot more now that I'm not a work and that means I am unfocused most of the time so therefore I forget things - I make lists and leave reminders on the laptop to try to stop me forgetting my own head.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-Jan-16 12:25:27

My bod is wearing out more than my mind. I'm still quite good at remembering. except for where I put my new face cream.

Charleygirl Thu 07-Jan-16 12:30:44

I make a point of leaving my car keys in the same place each time after I have used them. Ditto with my door keys and handbag- they are placed in the same spot or I would never get out of the house.

I had a badly burned pan once so now I check each knob including the oven after I have finished cooking and before I switch the kitchen light off. I try to have a routine for everything and then I am less likely to lose items, with the exception of paper work.

LullyDully Thu 07-Jan-16 13:51:53

It is such a boon being able to phone my DHs phone when he looses it ( he would ditch it for ever if he could ).

I just wish I could rings his keys, his slippers and the remote control.

Anya Thu 07-Jan-16 14:33:39

Don't talk about keys. I recently left mine (car keys and all) in the front door overnight. On the outside that is. With the car parked right out front.

Anya Thu 07-Jan-16 14:35:29

And between us, DH and I managed to set the house on fire in October. We're still in rented accommodation.

Sourcerer48 Thu 07-Jan-16 15:08:47

Putting Vagisil Cream up my nose instead of the prescription nose cream that should have gone up there...!

Tizliz Thu 07-Jan-16 15:12:26

Anya - that is my fear - setting fire to the house. I am beginning to worry as OH is not much better.

This morning I put the washing on without any powder. I had it ready just didn't put it in, had to start again.

I do work part-time and I am known for being able to find things but that is because I work it out logically.

Hopefully I can get into a routine of checking things.

Nonnie Thu 07-Jan-16 15:30:09

I feel so much better after reading all this! I don't lose things like DH but that is probably because I have always had a place for things and put them in that place. DH just puts things down anywhere so no wonder he can't find them later.

I do find that I can't find the word I am looking for quite often though but it always comes eventually, perhaps just as I am describing it to DH and then it comes to me.

dustyangel Thu 07-Jan-16 15:58:19

Nonnie I almost posted an identical post to you, especially the first sentence, but have had to take an important phone call and decided to come back to it later.

I think the threat of possible Alzhiemers scares us all as we hear about it more frequently. We used to be more forgiving of older people forgetting the odd word or what they were going to say. I suppose at 72 with DH only a week older we are the older people now. I don't like it and stress definitely makes it worse. sad

Stansgran Thu 07-Jan-16 15:58:42

I struggle to finish my sentences much to DH's annoyance. But there is hope for me as DH killed the computer this morning and I gave it the kiss of life.

POGS Thu 07-Jan-16 17:59:41

I gave my hubby a cheese sandwich for lunch and he said "Oh, OK then". I asked why he said that and he replied "Well it was only 15 minutes ago you asked me if I wanted a bacon sandwich and I didn't think I smelt it cooking". confused

I do that sort of thing all the time. The jury is out as to whether it is old age or going daft !