Gransnet forums

Chat

Optimism or what ?

(31 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 17-Jan-16 14:02:22

Just received a mail, do I want to buy a ticket for a star gazing evening plus Gurkha curry supper 12th Feb , proceeds to the mayors charities , will be held in a mountain park

Star gazing in Wales in early February half way up a mountain ?

Katek Mon 18-Jan-16 12:16:31

Heard about a dark sky event on R4 last week which involved nighttime cycling! I would have enough trouble in daylight.

harrigran Mon 18-Jan-16 11:54:56

I can hear DS groaning in horror at the comments about star gazing, he is an Astronomer and he would snatch your arm off for a chance to stand half way up a mountain. There is more than a few twinkly stars in the sky to watch and telescopes are motorised so that it can track whatever you are watching.

Greyduster Mon 18-Jan-16 11:47:09

I've always been interested in astronomy, and i would love a telescope but i find, from talking to people who have them, if you haven't anywhere to have them permanently set up, they rarely get used, and people tend to think they will be easy to use, and, by and large, they aren't, even the little ones. We went to visit some friends recently that we hadn't seen for a long time. His family had bought him a wonderful, huge, digitally controlled telescope for his 70th birthday, and after he'd shown it to me and i had drooled all over it, he said, "you can take it home and try it for a while if you like - i'm b******d if i know how to work it! I thought you just looked through them!" I didn't take him up on it - i wouldn't have known how to work it either (i only talk a good telescope smile!

Elrel Mon 18-Jan-16 11:07:37

Anniebach, there was I envying you your skylight! Some years ago I slept in a room with a big octagonal skylight when I visited my daughter. When she moved I really missed going to sleep and awakening with a view of the sky above me.

Anniebach Mon 18-Jan-16 10:19:34

Sorry ruby lady

annifrance Mon 18-Jan-16 10:18:52

Didn't like curry until I married an Indian and was introduced to the real McCoy. Now I love it. So many bad Indian restaurants around to put you off. The Gurkha curries sound wonderful - enjoy.

As for stars - they can look pretty but I cannot see the relevance of Orions Belt the Great Bear etc. figaments of someone's imagination and eyewateringly boring!!

rosesarered Mon 18-Jan-16 10:15:14

Nobody really thinks Welsh houses are roofless! Think of all the rain.grin
I like curry, as long as it's very mild.

Jalima Mon 18-Jan-16 10:14:20

I remember climbing a Dartmoor Tor when beacons were lit for HM's silver jubilee - it was summer, so going up in the dusk was fine but coming down again in pitch darkness was another matter, despite torches (and I was a lot younger then).
hmm

DH is interested in astronomy but the telescope rarely comes out. I always think you have to be an optimist to have astronomy as a hobby in the UK.

I must try a Ghurka curry, there is a restaurant near us.

rosesarered Mon 18-Jan-16 10:12:23

It was a joke ab

Anniebach Mon 18-Jan-16 10:05:14

We have seen fantastic dancing displays by the Gurkha Families for the earthquake appeal

Galen , exactly , which is why I questioned star gazing in February, I haven't seen the mountains for ages and we are surrounded by them . Wales still exsists, the rest of the world has vanished

Rubylady, yes my house has a roof, obviously you have no knowledge of Wales

ninathenana Mon 18-Jan-16 10:04:42

I don't like curry either (apart from a mild korma) or anything that makes my mouth fizz as DGS describes it smile

NudeJude Mon 18-Jan-16 09:57:12

No Annsixty, I don't like curry either, possibly something to do with a holiday in India where EVERYTHING tasted of curry, even the breakfast toast, lol.

Galen Mon 18-Jan-16 09:52:32

Are you sure Wales exists? It's vanished into the mists. I suspect it's like Brigadoon, only emerges every 100 years

Greyduster Mon 18-Jan-16 08:59:02

Go for it! The Ghurkas make amazing curry - they may even dance for you afterward! That's amazing too!

Teetime Mon 18-Jan-16 08:58:49

mmm 12th February- kind of them to celebrate my birthday. smile

shysal Mon 18-Jan-16 08:58:06

Another curry hater here! I can't stand any spicy food.

Jane10 Mon 18-Jan-16 08:45:28

I'm not keen either. It looks so unapetising somehow -everything is brown! I love Chinese food though, lots of colour and crunchy veg.

annsixty Mon 18-Jan-16 08:43:15

Just a small digression but as curry pops up so many times on various threads, am I the only person in GB who doesn't like curry? (or sweet potatoes ).

Anya Mon 18-Jan-16 07:52:00

ruby grin

Jane10 Mon 18-Jan-16 07:35:10

Its a lovely idea. In theory I'd love to do it but in practice........

rubylady Mon 18-Jan-16 01:10:49

Do you not have a roof on your house?

Anniebach Sun 17-Jan-16 14:36:55

Working on it Elegran, working on it grin I can see the stars lying in my bed anyway

Elegran Sun 17-Jan-16 14:34:25

Can you go for the curry and skip the star-gazing?

Anniebach Sun 17-Jan-16 14:33:25

Their curry is just so delicious , they hold a curry supper on 5th November after their firework display , my poor ulcer . Well I will buy a ticket because the mayors charities are the victims of Tibet earthquake and the refugee jungle in Calais , and I do so want the curry

Elegran Sun 17-Jan-16 14:26:32

The Ghurka supper without the stars sound more fun. Everyone could stand outside for a few minutes beforehand gazing up and imagining them, then go in and eat.