Gransnet forums

Chat

Optimism or what ?

(30 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 17-Jan-16 14:02:22

Just received a mail, do I want to buy a ticket for a star gazing evening plus Gurkha curry supper 12th Feb , proceeds to the mayors charities , will be held in a mountain park

Star gazing in Wales in early February half way up a mountain ?

Elegran Sun 17-Jan-16 14:12:15

I hope they all wear their thermals. Still I suppose the Gurkha curry supper would go down well after it.

tanith Sun 17-Jan-16 14:14:13

Well it might be very cold but the view might make it worth it if its a clear night..
The have a Star gazing weekend locally to me this weekend we intended on going last evening but the sleety showers put us off .

Anniebach Sun 17-Jan-16 14:20:29

The curry will bring them in Elegran, always does , but star gazing in February, we haven't seen a star for months , not likely to in early February either unless a lot of snow and frost , the cars can't get up there if so .

Anniebach Sun 17-Jan-16 14:22:45

Tanith, yes - if grin

Elegran Sun 17-Jan-16 14:26:32

The Ghurka supper without the stars sound more fun. Everyone could stand outside for a few minutes beforehand gazing up and imagining them, then go in and eat.

Anniebach Sun 17-Jan-16 14:33:25

Their curry is just so delicious , they hold a curry supper on 5th November after their firework display , my poor ulcer . Well I will buy a ticket because the mayors charities are the victims of Tibet earthquake and the refugee jungle in Calais , and I do so want the curry

Elegran Sun 17-Jan-16 14:34:25

Can you go for the curry and skip the star-gazing?

Anniebach Sun 17-Jan-16 14:36:55

Working on it Elegran, working on it grin I can see the stars lying in my bed anyway

rubylady Mon 18-Jan-16 01:10:49

Do you not have a roof on your house?

Jane10 Mon 18-Jan-16 07:35:10

Its a lovely idea. In theory I'd love to do it but in practice........

Anya Mon 18-Jan-16 07:52:00

ruby grin

annsixty Mon 18-Jan-16 08:43:15

Just a small digression but as curry pops up so many times on various threads, am I the only person in GB who doesn't like curry? (or sweet potatoes ).

Jane10 Mon 18-Jan-16 08:45:28

I'm not keen either. It looks so unapetising somehow -everything is brown! I love Chinese food though, lots of colour and crunchy veg.

shysal Mon 18-Jan-16 08:58:06

Another curry hater here! I can't stand any spicy food.

Teetime Mon 18-Jan-16 08:58:49

mmm 12th February- kind of them to celebrate my birthday. smile

Greyduster Mon 18-Jan-16 08:59:02

Go for it! The Ghurkas make amazing curry - they may even dance for you afterward! That's amazing too!

Galen Mon 18-Jan-16 09:52:32

Are you sure Wales exists? It's vanished into the mists. I suspect it's like Brigadoon, only emerges every 100 years

NudeJude Mon 18-Jan-16 09:57:12

No Annsixty, I don't like curry either, possibly something to do with a holiday in India where EVERYTHING tasted of curry, even the breakfast toast, lol.

ninathenana Mon 18-Jan-16 10:04:42

I don't like curry either (apart from a mild korma) or anything that makes my mouth fizz as DGS describes it smile

Anniebach Mon 18-Jan-16 10:05:14

We have seen fantastic dancing displays by the Gurkha Families for the earthquake appeal

Galen , exactly , which is why I questioned star gazing in February, I haven't seen the mountains for ages and we are surrounded by them . Wales still exsists, the rest of the world has vanished

Rubylady, yes my house has a roof, obviously you have no knowledge of Wales

rosesarered Mon 18-Jan-16 10:12:23

It was a joke ab

Jalima Mon 18-Jan-16 10:14:20

I remember climbing a Dartmoor Tor when beacons were lit for HM's silver jubilee - it was summer, so going up in the dusk was fine but coming down again in pitch darkness was another matter, despite torches (and I was a lot younger then).
hmm

DH is interested in astronomy but the telescope rarely comes out. I always think you have to be an optimist to have astronomy as a hobby in the UK.

I must try a Ghurka curry, there is a restaurant near us.

rosesarered Mon 18-Jan-16 10:15:14

Nobody really thinks Welsh houses are roofless! Think of all the rain.grin
I like curry, as long as it's very mild.

annifrance Mon 18-Jan-16 10:18:52

Didn't like curry until I married an Indian and was introduced to the real McCoy. Now I love it. So many bad Indian restaurants around to put you off. The Gurkha curries sound wonderful - enjoy.

As for stars - they can look pretty but I cannot see the relevance of Orions Belt the Great Bear etc. figaments of someone's imagination and eyewateringly boring!!