Gransnet forums

Chat

Queen or Consort does it matter?

(45 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sun 31-Jan-16 18:45:53

I have just watched an episode of Tracy Ullman on catch up.
She does a very good take off of Camilla.
But it did make think that in the not so distant future (hopefully not too soon) we will be having a new King
Our queen has been steadfast at the helm, with both hands on the wheel.
I'm sure she has taken advice from her husband and consort, but ultimately her own decisions.
I think that might be a bit different when Charles becomes King as he seems to rely quite a bit on his wife.
So even though he may be at the helm there may be a third hand on the wheel.
So does is it matter whether Camilla is Queen or Consort

M0nica Sun 31-Jan-16 18:51:44

No.

Elegran Sun 31-Jan-16 18:53:56

Victoria's husband Albert was "only" a consort, but he managed to exert quite a bit of unofficial influence. Other royal spouses have kept well clear of decisions, whether they were labelled queens or not. I am not sure the name is very important.

granjura Sun 31-Jan-16 18:55:44

No.

Ana Sun 31-Jan-16 18:56:06

Of course it isn't. Except to long-standing Camilla-haters.

Anniebach Sun 31-Jan-16 18:59:06

She should be queen consort as was the QM, and so should be queen Camilla

annsixty Sun 31-Jan-16 19:25:49

She has been so dignified and loyal, nothing but Queen will do.

rubysong Sun 31-Jan-16 19:48:47

Queen

merlotgran Sun 31-Jan-16 19:56:02

Definitely Queen.

Anniebach Sun 31-Jan-16 20:20:22

She will be wife of the King as was Elizabeth, Mary, Alexander and all who went before , what I have read of these women Camilla is equal to them and should be given equal respect and title

Willow500 Sun 31-Jan-16 20:44:47

Queen Consort - she is eminently suitable for the title when Charles become king.

Jane10 Sun 31-Jan-16 20:47:29

Hhhhhmmmm. Not sure. There's still a lot of prejudice about. I thought they'd agreed when they married that she wouldn't be Queen. Don't know why I think that though.

merlotgran Sun 31-Jan-16 20:55:02

I could understand some people objecting if the Queen had died shortly after Charles and Camilla's marriage but Camilla has served her apprenticeship and should have the title she deserves.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 31-Jan-16 21:11:18

I think Queen Consort for no other reason than it sounds right.

It will never happen, but I would rather Charles did not become king and that William and Kate become kind and queen consort. Charles is too old and his time has passed and the Royal family would benefit from keeping the freshness of William and Kate going.

Jane10 Sun 31-Jan-16 21:14:07

I agree Wilma. Don't think it'll happen though. It would be nice to let William and Kate have some time to themselves before the big job kicks in.

merlotgran Sun 31-Jan-16 21:15:49

I don't think William has any intention of becoming king until he absolutely has to.

grumppa Sun 31-Jan-16 21:35:59

Is Albert a useful analogy? Because kings were men they were seen as superior to queens, so he had to be Prince Consort so as to keep the K word out of his title. Queen Consort makes no sense at all, and Princess Consort makes even less. Let her be Queen.

Though frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn.

Anniebach Sun 31-Jan-16 22:07:43

The wife of a crowned King cannot be a queen , she has to be queen consort , to be a queen she would have to be crowned queen

I disagree with Charles stepping down to make way for youth , he has served a hell of a long apprenticeship and the title is his by right

If a second wife of a Mr X is Mrs X by law then same goes for Camilla who is entitled to be called Princess of Wales and should be , all this avoiding names because of a divorce is wrong surely

merlotgran Sun 31-Jan-16 22:14:35

Anniebach I think Camilla would have gouged her own eyes out with a rusty fork and then eaten them rather than be saddled with the POW title.

Anniebach Sun 31-Jan-16 22:26:42

I don't blame her Merlotgran , I wish the title of P and P of W would stop once Charles becomes king , let it be buried in history with the rightful PofW

Jalima Sun 31-Jan-16 23:14:17

I think she has redeemed herself and would be a worthy Queen Consort.

Not sure about the name Queen Camilla though, but her second name is Rosemary - Queen Rosemary sounds like someone from Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom. hmm

nightowl Sun 31-Jan-16 23:14:48

Definitely Queen Consort. And I think Charles will make a good King, though I hope not yet. He has indeed served a long apprenticeship and has been a diligent and imaginative POW (though I take the point about that particular title Anniebach). I don't think William is anywhere near ready to become king, nor do I think he has any desire to do so. He has a lot still to learn and I'm not convinced the monarchy will endure after Charles, for all sorts of reasons.

numberplease Sun 31-Jan-16 23:43:00

Definitely Queen Consort. Charles deserves to be king, he`s lived his whole life preparing and training to be king.

absent Mon 01-Feb-16 00:19:27

Besides, he's already planned his coronation in minute detail.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Feb-16 00:55:47

Jane10 and merlotgran I agree. I'm just not keen on Charles becoming king. But I echo grumppa about not giving a damn. grin