Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you make anything at school ?

(92 Posts)
NanKate Fri 05-Feb-16 23:24:25

In our sewing class I opted to make a nightdress out of a vivid piece of purple material. It took me the whole term to sew down the sides of the nightdress and make a hole to stick my head through. hmm

I can't remember ever wearing the nightdress and I have hardly ever used a needle and cotton since, other than to sew a button back on.

What did you make or cook ?

tinaf1 Fri 05-Feb-16 23:30:42

A smocked apron and some inedible rock buns still can't make rockbuns

Coolgran65 Fri 05-Feb-16 23:37:57

I made a nightdress, awful thing.
Also for a school trip to Germany we made dirndle skirts in the school colours. Royal blue with patch pockets and that zigzag trimming stuff in yellow sewed on the pockets and at the hem line. With a knitted royal blue jumper. We were near killed by the heat as it was mid summer.

Coolgran65 Fri 05-Feb-16 23:40:57

Passed my domestic science exam with a chocolate marble cake, it was choc and green.....emerald green. Must have tasted ok.

Synonymous Sat 06-Feb-16 00:04:22

I knitted for the first time at school when I was about 7 years old. We all had to make vests in 3ply wool and it took a very long time. The reason for this is that if you went wrong or dropped a stitch or the tension was incorrect you had to undo it and do it again. Some of us got pink wool, others got blue and mine was white but my completed garment ended up as grey and off white stripes with blackish blobs. grin
They were knitted for a local orphanage and I was very sorry for the poor little souls for whom the vests were destined! Woolly vests don't bear thinking about! shock

Judthepud2 Sat 06-Feb-16 00:15:30

Hah! Not much if I could help it! was kicked out of dropped 'Domestic Science' after a year. But spent most of that year making a fetching seersucker waist petticoat. We had to put in a tucked hem to let down as we grew. I had to make 4 tucks as I was small. I never grew much more, and never wore the d--n thing anyway! #wasteoftime

grannyqueenie Sat 06-Feb-16 00:58:49

Oh yes, it's all come flooding back! Don't remember making anything in secondary school but primary school was full of completely useless useful activity. Starting with a pot holder made out of that stuff called binca?, then progressing to a handkerchief sachet (what was that about?), and the piece de resistance (and believe me I resisted!) was, wait for it...a lap bag, I never did find out what that was supposed to be for...the mind boggles! Put me off sewing for life, but I could, thanks to school, probably still darn a sock if I had to and my daughters seem to think I'm good at invisible mending, so maybe it wasn't all wasted after all grin]

absent Sat 06-Feb-16 06:15:41

A couple of embroidered needle cases at primary school – both of which I gave to my mother and one of which now resides in my own sewing basket. In the needlework class in my first year of secondary school we made our domestic science aprons for the following year and something else that I can't now remember. The most interesting things I made were fabric designs which I then printed in the art class. I wore a towelling beach robe with starfish designs for several holidays in my teens.

tiredoldwoman Sat 06-Feb-16 06:44:26

In primary school we had to knit a cover for a coat hanger complete with pop poms - it's still in use ! It must be 50 years old !

Falconbird Sat 06-Feb-16 07:01:15

In needlework we made cookery aprons and caps, and later Baby Doll pyjamas. I didn't like cookery or needlework and managed to give it up in the third year which was a huge relief.

Cookery was particularly awful. We made soused herrings, meat pies and lamb stew and it all had to be carried home in Kilner jars inside cookery baskets.

My dad, who was unemployed after the war used to look forward to the things I cooked but I was glad when I didn't have to endure it any more.

loopylou Sat 06-Feb-16 07:13:02

An apron with a gingham border that had a cross stitch pattern, a needle case my mum still uses, a wooden handled knitting bag, again cross stitched, all made at junior school.
Don't think we did needlework at the Convent.

shysal Sat 06-Feb-16 07:36:55

A dry Victoria Sponge cake, using half an egg. I think we must have been given a recipe from the time of rationing!
In my O level exam somebody turned up the oven my bread rolls were baking in. I rescued them just before they burnt too badly.

Greenfinch Sat 06-Feb-16 07:39:00

For some obscure reason we had to make a pair of white bloomers which we were then supposed to wear ! Then we had to knit a pair of grey socks which then became part of our uniform.

hildajenniJ Sat 06-Feb-16 08:20:34

I made a blouse from yellow and white cotton material, sleeveless, with a mandarin collar. It took all term for me to finish it. Before we could start cookery (domestic science), we had to make an apron, and then wear it in subsequent classes. Mine was purple and white.
I hated sewing! I've never been near a sewing machine since!

ninathenana Sat 06-Feb-16 08:40:00

I spent a whole term hand sewing an apron. I had to unpick it several times as it wasn't up to teachers very exacting standards.
We still have a coffee table that DH made in woodwork class. The style is very '60's but I'm not allowed to get rid of it grin

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Feb-16 08:55:08

A fetching apron for cookery, a PE bag with name embroidered on, and like hildajenniJ, a blouse with a mandarin collar, which I don't think was ever finished. We only had one electric sewing machine in class and had a rota for it. I preferred to use the manual ones anyway because the electric one went too fast and any less than perfect work had to be unpicked and done again, including a wonky stitch. Even tacking stitches if they weren't precisely the right length - five eighths and three eighths of an inch, for goodness sake! We used to have to measure each one as we went along grin

Teetime Sat 06-Feb-16 09:14:39

At grammar school my parents insisted I take Domestic Science to O level (forward thinkers they weren't) beacuse I was a girl and would have to feed a husband and children - deep joy! Anyway before we began the course we had to make our own apron which was white with royal blue bias binding edging - which was hell to do and mine was a bit messy. Anyway the O Level turned out Ok as it taught me all the basics that I use all the time - every kind of pastry, sauce, grilling, boiling, baking etc., how to gut and clean fish, all the different kinds of cake methods and on and on. The final exam was a three course meal to your own recipe and to a budget. I cant remember it all except pork chops with capers in cider- I still do that now and again.

Indinana Sat 06-Feb-16 09:23:03

In the fourth year at grammar school all the girls had to make a Christmas Cake. It took all of the September term to first make the actual cake, then marzipan it, then several practice lessons with Royal icing before the final decorating was done. That base layer of icing had to be completely smooth and level - I mean 'spirit level' level! All the cakes were put in an exhibition and parents and friends invited along for an evening to view them. They were as good as anything you'd see in a quality bakery. My Domestic Science lessons have served me well, as have the needlework lessons. We were taught well.

baubles Sat 06-Feb-16 09:35:31

In primary school I eventually made a lap bag after many attempts to get my hemming stitch to the standard required by the stickler of a teacher. I'm glad she made me unpick it so many times though, my brownie/guide badges were always beautifully sewn on and now I'm doing the same for my granddaughter.

The knitting of socks using four kneedles has never been replicated though.

In high school I didn't set foot in the domestic science department until 6th year when I had a couple of free periods and used them to learn to sew and type. I wore my herringbone midi skirt many times, however the blouse I made to go with it wasn't such a success, I had a bit of a disaster with the button holes.

emmasnan Sat 06-Feb-16 09:39:24

At primary school we knitted scarves and were taught basic embroidery stitches.
In secondary school we made our cookery aprons and lined gym skirts to start with. I later made a dress and skirt. I loved sewing and still like most crafts.

Hunt Sat 06-Feb-16 09:44:24

For the dom. sci. school certificate we had to make some buns. Two of mine were decidedly wonky....so I ate 'em.We also had to make half a bra from a pattern and i often wonder what happened to them .Also I thought it would have been a good idea if half the country ha d made the left half and half the right. They could the have been stitched together and made hundreds of complete bras!

harrigran Sat 06-Feb-16 09:46:23

Cookery apron and cap in the first term at secondary school. A gym slip in the second term and then numerous garments such as a gingham circular skirt and blouse. I was already a proficient knitter by the time I was ten and knit baby clothes for my sister born that year. In secondary school I was knitting jumpers and hiking socks on four needles. If I remember correctly I knit a Fair isle sweater for my skiing trip in Norway when I was fourteen. These skills stood me in good stead, it meant that my babies always had the clothes they needed even though we were relatively poor then.

chloe1984 Sat 06-Feb-16 09:49:37

I made a yellow nightdress in my second year at secondary school. It was all sewn by hand and the material was brushed nylon stuff that pulled and caught on everything. It had to be sewn with French seams ( not sure if that is the right term) I gave it to my sister as a 21st birthday present! I also made a cap and apron in bright green gingham for use in domestic science lessons. When I think of all the hours wasted sewing when I really think I could have excelled at woodwork or technical drawing. I did take up sewing when my children were born in the early seventies due to money restrictions but soon gave it up in favour of reading and watching daytime tv.

NanaandGrampy Sat 06-Feb-16 12:41:31

Oh yes! Cookery was obligatory and whilst I learnt things I'll never use like how to 'souse' a herring I learnt all the basics I've used every since, for pastry , cakes etc. We also had to take needlework to lower 5th , so I made an apron , a blouse and various bits and bobs for the scariest needlework teacher EVER !!

miep Sat 06-Feb-16 12:52:29

Had to make a nightdress, which I finished in two classes, so was then let loose on the only machine! Has come in handy many times - I made all dd1's summer dresses without a pattern for years. Was thrown out of cookery for asking why we couldn't make something sensible, like macaroni cheese, instead of endless fairy cakes. My mother had died and I really needed to learn!!