Gransnet forums

Chat

Boll weevils in pasta

(37 Posts)
aquagran Sun 13-Mar-16 14:15:22

Last night I tipped the second half of a kilo packet of Tesco penne into a saucepan only to find dozens of little creepy crawlies that I later identified as boll weevils. I had used the first half of the packet a couple of weeks ago, and that APPEARED fine. The packet was securely sealed, and no other foods in the cupboard are affected. So presumably the eggs hatched in the packet. After some online research, evidentlythis isn't the only time this has happened,I informed Tesco. I didn't want a refund or a free gift, Iwas just informing them! They weren't very receptive! Anyway just a word of warning.

janeainsworth Sun 13-Mar-16 14:37:11

I would post something on Facebook orTwitter.
You'll probably find them slightly more 'receptive' wink
Another approach would be Trading Standards or the Health and Safety Executive.
At the very least you are entitled to a refund under the Sale of Goods Act.
Large companies like Tesco should just not be allowed to get away with things like this IMHO.

TriciaF Sun 13-Mar-16 14:44:03

Were they a kind of beetle, or tiny worms?
I often get the wormy type in dry goods and dried fruit, sometimes in unopened packets. They come from the pantry moth.
Maybe yours were different.

TriciaF Sun 13-Mar-16 14:45:28

ps Lets hope Tesco take the pasta off the shelves.

aquagran Sun 13-Mar-16 15:06:03

They were beetles. Google "beetles in pasta" and you will see. I don't think Tesco will take it off the shelves. Customer services said they would phone the store.

Judthepud2 Sun 13-Mar-16 23:22:04

shock Was this Tesco's own brand penne pasta? As I buy a lot of the stuff for grandchildren, I would like to avoid buying the brand you found the critters in for the future.

And yes, absolutely if you have had no positive response from their customer service, get it out there on Twitter or FB. I have found CS departments fall over themselves to be seen publicly to address these kind of issues.

Alea Sun 13-Mar-16 23:30:45

I had a similar thing some years ago with a bag of flour from Sainsbury's. I chucked the rest of the contents of the cupboard assuming they would have "spread" and had no joy from the store whatsoever. They even suggested it was because people wanted more organic food! confused

aquagran Mon 14-Mar-16 08:34:00

Yes it was Tesco's own brand. 1kg bag of penne.

Stansgran Mon 14-Mar-16 09:43:14

I buy fresh pasta and freeze the leftovers. Dried pasta half bags I store in jars. I must go and inspect now for creepy crawlies.

aquagran Mon 14-Mar-16 11:41:21

Very wise to store in jars. I am off to buy some now! I have gone through my cupboards with "a fine tooth comb". Think I am now paranoid!

Badenkate Mon 14-Mar-16 16:18:18

I think you'll find it was the pantry moth aquagran. If you search on google there are lots of pictures of them and the grubs. When we lived abroad they were a real nuisance in thd food cupboards, but so far I haven't had a problem here. Packaging won't keep them out - they seem to find their way in however well you think you've sealed it. I've even found them in coffee jars.

Anya Mon 14-Mar-16 16:22:22

Bit of a bummer if you're a vegetarian wink

aquagran Mon 14-Mar-16 17:05:03

Don't know how to post sites, but as I previously posted, try Googling (if you can be bothered) "beetles in pasta" and you will find articles and pictures. Definitely weevils!

Ana Mon 14-Mar-16 17:06:04

But not boll ones - those eat cotton.

JackyB Mon 14-Mar-16 17:10:09

I have always had them. Even ripping out the kitchen and replacing it didn't help - they still kept coming back. Worms/maggots in the summer and the moths in the autumn.

Recently, I've managed to get some sort of control over it. Opened packets are now decanted into glass jars which stand decoratively around the kitchen. You can see how much of each item (rice, flour, breadcrums, porridge oats, nuts, etc) you've got, and you can see if anything is crawling about. But mainly, as they are sealed with a rubber ring inside the lid, there is no danger of the infection spreading.

The worms are, in fact, quite nutritious, but I've never been able to eat them.

Having said that, I have never in my life seen a cockroach, even though I have lived in quite Southern climes.

Badenkate Mon 14-Mar-16 17:28:19

Very sorry aquagran, I was only trying to help!

aquagran Mon 14-Mar-16 17:46:33

I know Badenkate, and thank you. I hope I didn't sound rude!

Badenkate Mon 14-Mar-16 18:06:53

That's OK. I know how upsetting it is to find something crawling about in your food!?

Hilltopgran Mon 14-Mar-16 18:52:47

My daughter has a problem finding these in a packet of pasta, she lives in middle east and since she found them in a packet they keep reappearing in the cupboard, all normal disinfectants etc do not seem to get rid of them. Do keep checking your cupboard to make sure none escaped.

Perdita33 Mon 14-Mar-16 18:56:25

I had this with flour that was stored in glass screw top jars, though it was quite old. I presume the eggs were in the flour and hatched out. I'm careful now not to keep things too long

Luckygirl Mon 14-Mar-16 18:59:56

I always keep things for too long - the children arrive and have a chuck out whilst tutting under their breath!

Jalima Mon 14-Mar-16 19:20:13

the children arrive and have a chuck out whilst tutting under their breath!
DS used to do this for his DGM (my MIL), then one day he found a very slightly over the date yogurt in our fridge and said he hoped I wasn't turning into DGM; he would have to go through our fridge and cupboards regularly blush.

I do check and throw flour etc out if it has gone past its sell-by date; and I don't trust those new packets with a resealable stick tab, always decant them into Tupperware or a glass jar (and cut out the sell-by date and pop it into the jar).

Yes, I've seen lots of cockroaches - but not in this country.

Jalima Mon 14-Mar-16 19:24:33

all normal disinfectants etc do not seem to get rid of them
I think you have to use one of those insecticidal smoke bombs. (clear everything - and children - out first!).

aquagran Mon 14-Mar-16 19:35:37

It wasn't out of date, and was sealed with one of those plastic clips. I really hope none escaped!

Jalima Mon 14-Mar-16 19:43:29

aquagran was it this brand?
metro.co.uk/2013/10/22/dorset-mother-finds-hundreds-of-weevils-in-bag-of-tesco-pasta-4155938/