Gransnet forums

Chat

Boll weevils in pasta

(38 Posts)
aquagran Sun 13-Mar-16 14:15:22

Last night I tipped the second half of a kilo packet of Tesco penne into a saucepan only to find dozens of little creepy crawlies that I later identified as boll weevils. I had used the first half of the packet a couple of weeks ago, and that APPEARED fine. The packet was securely sealed, and no other foods in the cupboard are affected. So presumably the eggs hatched in the packet. After some online research, evidentlythis isn't the only time this has happened,I informed Tesco. I didn't want a refund or a free gift, Iwas just informing them! They weren't very receptive! Anyway just a word of warning.

Jalima Mon 14-Mar-16 19:45:09

A spokeswoman for the supermarket giant said if a customer found something in their products that shouldn’t be there they should return it immediately so the company can carry out a ‘thorough investigation’.
Mrs O’Shea received a £10 voucher for her troubles.

aquagran Mon 14-Mar-16 19:53:10

No, Tesco's own brand. Anyway I'll finish now. Just thought I'd warn you all. Thanks for your replies.

Jalima Mon 14-Mar-16 19:59:58

I am going to look through the cupboard now!

Thanks for the warning.

rojon Mon 14-Mar-16 21:27:03

I've heard if you put the newly bought packets in the freezer for 24 hours any eggs or weevils in the dried goods will be killed

whitewave Mon 14-Mar-16 21:31:06

I found a piece of glass in some chicken purchased from Tesco once - about 15 years ago now. I phoned and they couldn't have been more disinterested if they had tried.

whitewave Mon 14-Mar-16 21:31:37

Not keen in Tesco at the best of times.

MontanaGal Tue 15-Mar-16 01:56:12

I have always placed several bay leaves in flour, pasta, rice and other dry foods. It works well for me.

maninonline Thu 19-Sep-19 13:14:57

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Sep-19 11:02:57

So I guess you don't want to read either of these articles which talk about the allowable levels of contaminants in our foods?

Including 20 maggots per 100grm of tined mushrooms?

www.livescience.com/55459-fda-acceptable-food-defects.html

www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/11581770/Hair-aphids-and-bugs-the-horrifying-stuff-we-unwittingly-eat.html

Witzend Fri 20-Sep-19 11:58:34

When I first lived in Middle Easter countries, it was impossible to buy flour without weevils - usually just the tiny larvae - in.
Weetabix was known locally as Weevilbrix!

The only solution with flour was to put it in the freezer, to kill them, and then use a fine sieve. I gather they are not at all harmful, though.

One Christmas, same place, I wanted to make mincemeat - you couldn't buy it anywhere. The first lot of dried fruit had so many weevils (beetles and probably larvae) in it, I took it back to the shop.
Shopkeeper gave me replacements, assuring me that there were no 'animals' in this lot.
It all looked fine so I went ahead with my mincemeat - only just as I was tipping the last lot in, I spied some tiny black thing moving...
Sod it! Having got thus far I just carried on, couldn't waste all that sugar and hard-to-come-by dried fruit!
Nobody but me was any the wiser.

yessir04 Tue 10-Mar-20 10:08:35

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Witzend Tue 10-Mar-20 10:26:44

Used to get these all the time in flour when living in the Middle East. It didn’t come without, not in the early days anyway. Only way was to put it in the freezer, and then sieve the little dead buggers out.
Weetabix was known locally as Weevilbrix at the time - nuff sed.