Gransnet forums

Chat

Cyclist 1 me 0.

(44 Posts)
felice Wed 16-Mar-16 16:04:54

Coming home on Monday evening about 18.00, they are digging up the pavements at the bottom of our street and have barriers providing pedestrian walkways on the road.
Coming out of one of these about to step back onto the pavement and a cyclist coming down the hill towards me had decided he was going to use the pedestrian bit too.
Next thing I am flat on my face in the road.
Told by witnesses that he actually put his foot out and pushed me out of the way.
Then he went around the corner mounted the pavement and pushed another woman out of the way.
Well dressed man in his 40s' according to the many witnesses.
I have huge black eyes and a scraped forehead and nose, superficial injuries, and a footprint shaped bruise on one leg.
The other woman was knocked unconscious and has a compound fracture of her right arm and a broken ankle.
Police were called to the Hospital but not much they can do, no CCTV on that corner.
Why do cyclists think they rule the roads and the pavements!!!
Nothing much else really just needed a wee bit of sympathy.

Jalima Mon 21-Mar-16 07:39:05

Hear hear!

Anya Mon 21-Mar-16 07:07:29

Good to know it's being taken seriously and let's hope they catch this moron.

felice Sun 20-Mar-16 11:10:51

Candelle, there were plenty of witnesses who gave statments to the Police and lots of photographs taken at the Hospital, and DD has taken some follow up photographs and we have emailed them to the Police.

I lived in Flanders for a few years where the bike is king. The roads here are well organised for cyclists unfortunately too many seem to prefer the pavements around here.
SIL was coming home from work on Tuesday evening and the police were stopping all the cyclists at the top of our road.
Nice to know the incident has been taken seriously, DD and I are going to visit the other injured woman in Hospital tomorrow afternoon.

I feel fine now, until I glance in a mirror and wonder where the escapee from a horror movie came from.
I could not give a description really as it happened so fast so hopefully the witnesses have given good ones.
It has been great to get so much support on here thanks again everyone.

Candelle Sun 20-Mar-16 10:59:02

Felice I don't suppose you managed to obtain the names and contact numbers of the witnesses? You probably didn't as you were so shocked, which is understandable. However, if any of those people regularly use that route, as the cyclist may well do, perhaps it is possible with a bit of detective work, to catch this monster.

Did you take photographs of your injuries - particularly the foot-shaped imprint. Just awful.

I am still indignant on your behalf and really shocked that this happened in Belgium where we have encountered the very best of road behaviour with little of the battle here twixt motorists (what are you doing riding your cycle in a cycle lane when I want to put my car there so I can squeeze through a gap in the traffic?!) and cyclists. I always feel so safe riding in Belgium! Or did. One bad apple spoils the whole cart, again.

If, when you feel better and you think you may have an idea of this chap's appearance, I would wait on that corner at the same time and see if I could find him. That's probably terrible advice but it is what I would do!

Hope you feel better very soon.

felice Fri 18-Mar-16 22:48:25

Thanks again everyone.
Unfortunately the corner where the accident happened is notorious for cyclists using the pavement to avoid a large junction, which has cycle lanes but would add a few seconds to the 17.30 commute.
SO says I look like the lead singer from KISS today, wish I had his money.
Luckily I am the eternal optimist, thanks all of you, and I know all cyclists are not the same, SO is a Cyclist, Motorcyclist and driver. Not going to say what he would like to do to the one who hit me.
Off to bed now, trying to avoid the full length mirrors opposite my bed, scary.

CrazyDaisy Fri 18-Mar-16 19:09:00

Poor you, Felice. I hope you're better soon and that the police catch him.

Gaggi3 Fri 18-Mar-16 14:33:16

So sorry for such a horrible experience, felice, hope you heal and recover quickly. I agree with those who say that this behaviour has nothing to do with being a cyclist, but how he is as a person. It seems really strange to me that someone would behave in this way, inflicting actual bodily harm deliberately, just to get you out of his way. My son-in-law is a keen cyclist and is usually on the other end of bad behaviour. He would never treat anyone like this.

Candelle Fri 18-Mar-16 14:10:12

Felice, what happened to you was disgraceful. There is obviously nothing to excuse this behaviour.

I am a motorist, pedestrian and fair-weather cyclist (no Lycra - that would be too horrible for words) and see the worlds through all three modes of transport.

However, I do feel that compared to the number of cyclists, (particularly in Belgium where we have had amazing cycling holidays and the roads and pavements are very well set set out for everyone) there are few bad eggs. You have been particularly unfortunate.

I am sure there are many car accidents each day too - and always will be with reckless and careless people in charge of their vehicles but we hear very few of these, unless we know someone personally involved. As a pedestrian, I was nearly knocked over (the car came within a whisker of my toes) on a pedestrian crossing last week. This took place near the entrance to a supermarket car park. I noted the driver, waited for him at the entrance to the store and had 'a word' with him. He thought that I should have waited until he had driven past, even 'though I was already on the crossing - which had no island in the middle. I had to educate him on the joys of the highway code...

If I were you, I would try and and identify this chap and have 'a word' with him about his piggish and dangerous cycling. Involve the police, too if you can find any witnesses.

Oops, a bit of a rant. I just wanted to say sorry, on behalf of the good, calm, decent cyclists. We are not all bad 'uns!

oldgaijin Fri 18-Mar-16 13:03:59

Marmight. One of my few pleasures left in life is watching lycra clad bottoms!

Grannieanne Fri 18-Mar-16 11:55:26

A scene that made me smile a few weeks ago in London. A crowd of people were waiting for the lights to change so that we could cross the road at a junction. When the green man finally came on a cyclist tried to go over in front of us, but was forced to stop across the pedestrian way. A very smartly dressed man (suit, expensive-looking overcoat, brief case etc) walked across in front of me and as he passed the bike gave it an enormous kick on the front wheel - the bike almost fell over - then walked on his way without so much as a glance. Cool I thought.

annifrance Fri 18-Mar-16 10:59:26

Felice - hope you are soon on the mend, and the other poor lady. Charley - I totally agree! hope the police get him, keep us posted.

It's nearly Tour de France time and living in the foothills of the Pyrennees we have the narrow windy lanes and mountains so there is always on stage near here. I dread it as every Frenchman capable of climbing on a bike dressed in unflattering Lycra joins a 'pelaton' and blocks up the roads for months.

They never give way, the lanes too narrow to over take even one let alone two or three abreast. I usually rev my engine up close behind, sometimes works. Have had the roof of my car banged by a cyclist I had overtaken when I stopped in our village and said cyclist caught up with me!

my other whinge of the TdeF is that the roads are closed for hours, about three support/advertising vehicles per competitor go through during the boring time before the pelaton, plus TV helicopters hovering overhead. What on earth is the carbon footprint of this event, when cycling is supposed to reduce it!! And they whip by you in the blink of an eye. So boring.

Lilyflower Fri 18-Mar-16 10:03:19

Drat! What happened there?

Cyclists (not all, but many) are definitely in this category. They combine the 'virtue signalling' approval of the green lobby with modern aggression nd arrogance.

bethanmp23 Fri 18-Mar-16 10:00:21

Heal soon, Felice.

I happen to live on a sharp corner of a road used in the 2012 Olympic cycling route. We are constantly plagued by amateur/ fairly hopeless cyclists who come alone or as a couple or even as a club to say they have cycled the Olympic route. Last summer we had 17 [yes, seventeen] races officially organised on the route, some of which meant the road was closed for hours. Many more unauthorised.

Because they are not all good riders we have had the Air Ambulance to three serious accidents on our corner [they sweep downhill, misjudge the corner - which is a blind bend, end up on the wrong side and get hit by a vehicle coming up the road].

I am terrified of meeting these cyclists on the road. They are impossible to pass when they ride two or three abreast, and sometimes they are in a bunch of 20 or 30.

A friend drove slowly and carefully past one sole cyclist cycling in the middle of the lane, and he kicked her car and dented the panel!

I have no advice for those blighted by cyclists, just oodles of sympathy. [I have friends who are good cyclists and are horrified by the risks they have seen others take, and by the sheer ill manners of some.]

Lilyflower Fri 18-Mar-16 09:59:43

Much sympathy.

Two years ago I was crossing the road on the 'green man' signal and a cyclist ran the red light and narrowly missed me. He shouted at me although the near miss was his own fault. When I replied he again let loose a vituperative tirade.

One of the sad effects of modern life is that groups who are made 'special' and empowered, become arrogant, ungrateful, exploitative and obnoxious. Cyclists (not all, but many) are definitely in this category. They combine the 'virtue signalling' approval of

michellehargreaves Fri 18-Mar-16 09:54:37

A woman was killed here in London last week after being knocked down by a cyclist. In the paper it said "there were no arrests at the scene". Would that have been the case if the woman had been hit by a car? It seems to me that there are very aggressive cyclists out there now. So much so that if I am on a zebra crossing I stop in the middle to make sure there are no cyclists coming, they frequently just overtake the stationary traffic and zoom through the crossing. I think it is time that cyclists and their bikes are registered.They are road users and they can get on a bike with absolutely no training or proof that they know the rules of the road. Can you tell I have strong feelings about this?

Chichachongawonga Fri 18-Mar-16 09:30:50

I am a cyclist and would never dream of acting this way!! Like other posters have said its to do with him being a very rude obnoxious person with no regard for anyone except himself and should be punished (if they can ever catch him) in exactly the same way as one would be if they did it on foot angry. He is like the cyclists who jump red lights and put everyone else on the road in danger. Please don't give cyclists in general a bad name, just name and shame the idiotic ones where possible.

Jennyking Thu 17-Mar-16 18:59:23

I am so sorry and quite shocked that he pushed you as well but not all cyclist are like this and what we must remember is that this vile man would have done the same what ever he was using, a scooter for instance. I am a cyclist who goes nearly everywhere and often find when I am on a shared pavement, and I will come across a bunch of mothers pushing prams and taking up the whole space and they don't move for anyone.

FarNorth Thu 17-Mar-16 14:47:53

What a total jerk!!!
flowers for you

Anya Thu 17-Mar-16 14:33:17

You poor thing. Hope you get better soon.

What a horrible man. As Pompa said, it's nothing to do with being a cyclist, he's probably just as nasty on foot. I do hope they catch him and he gets what's coming to him.

flowers

Indinana Thu 17-Mar-16 14:24:13

Oh I do hope the police manage to catch him felice! Please keep us updated.
Hope you're feeling a little calmer today - just try to avoid any mirrors wink

Luckygirl Thu 17-Mar-16 14:03:17

Arrogant pig indeed! Let us hope they track him down before he does more harm.

felice Thu 17-Mar-16 09:28:49

Thanks everyone, I got a nice phone call from the Police last night asking how I was and as he probably uses our road most days they intend to keep a watch there for the next couple of days.
I look like the Lone Ranger at the moment, with a sort of black and blue eyemask.

MiniMouse Wed 16-Mar-16 20:34:49

How awful felice sad I shudder to think what kind of person he is.

SueDonim Wed 16-Mar-16 20:32:37

You have my sympathy. Some years ago I was sent flying when a cyclist ran into me as he rode his bike through a railway station! No broken bones but I had cuts and bruises everywhere from my knees to my face and mouth. My 6yo dd was with me and she just screamed her head off in fright, poor thing, to see me lying on the ground, covered in blood.

There was one funny side, in that an old lady who came to help me knew the person who'd hit me and was threatening him by saying she'd be making sure his mother heard all about it and then he'd be for it, because she wouldn't be pleased with his antics! I almost, but not quite, felt sorry for him.

I loathe cyclists now and if ever there's one anywhere near me, I'm a nervous wreck.

I do hope you feel better soon. Arnica tablets and ointment can help with the bruising. flowers

ffinnochio Wed 16-Mar-16 20:06:29

Appalling behaviour. Hope you feel much better soon felice flowers