Gransnet forums

Chat

DD escapes injury in crash

(32 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 16-Mar-16 17:25:46

My poor DD has just been here for some TLC. She was waiting in a side road to turn left onto a main road and another car was waiting to turn right into the same road. Before she could move out, a large landrover with a trailer full of sheep crashed into the car waiting to turn right - the trailer overturned and crushed the waiting car; another ran into the back of it all, spun round on its roof and ended up on its wheels but crushed.

My DD rang 999 and set everything in train, checked that there was no major bleeding anywhere (she has just done a first aid course thank goodness) and managed to get a couple of children out and care for them in her car.

The road leads to a nursery so there were several little ones involved, and a pregnant mother.

By some miracle, after cutting people out of the cars, only one man had a broken leg - the ambulance service said it was beyond belief that no-one was killed.

If DD had moved forward by a matter of a yard she would have been right in the middle of this. She is very shocked and needed mother hugs and lots of reassurance that none of it was her fault.

It is a fine line between life and death.

grannylyn65 Wed 16-Mar-16 17:27:27

How truly awful. Loads of hugs and flowers

granoffour Wed 16-Mar-16 17:29:49

Oh Luckygirl, thank goodness she kept her head and did all the right things. What an awful thing to witness. flowers

TriciaF Wed 16-Mar-16 17:42:18

What a frightening experience - glad your daughter is ok and good for her that she gave all the right help.
These vehicles with loaded trailers are so unstable. We see many here , double trailers loaded with tree trunks. When they turn or swerve the load often sways over. I keep a distance from them.

Tegan Wed 16-Mar-16 17:45:13

Thank goodness she's ok.

Tegan Wed 16-Mar-16 18:23:47

It's just been on the news....

MiniMouse Wed 16-Mar-16 19:04:59

How horrific Tegan Thank goodness your DD is unhurt. I'm sure the 'what might have been' will be whirring in her mind, so I hope that the shock will not affect her too badly. flowers for you all

M0nica Wed 16-Mar-16 19:30:40

There must be something about farm folk. DH was involved in a similar accident a few years ago when a landrover and trailer ran into the back of him at speed when he was stationary and indicating that he wished to turn right. Fortunately he looked in the mirror saw what was about to happen and took his foot off the brake so that when his car was hit it rolled forward, so he was not injured, although the car did not come off so well. The offending driver seemed to think the fault was DH's for wanting to turn right!

Tegan I am glad your DD was not hurt, and that she recovers from the shock of what she witnessed soon. flowers

Jalima Wed 16-Mar-16 19:35:24

There must be something about farm folk.
not all of them smile although I do wonder sometimes if some drivers forget they have attached a trailer or don't attach it properly with a stabiliser.

Luckygirl your DD was very level-headed and did well, many people would have panicked; however, the shock would have set in later flowers
I hope she's feeling better now.

baubles Wed 16-Mar-16 19:54:19

How awful Luckygirl I hope your DD is getting over the shock.

morethan2 Wed 16-Mar-16 20:15:46

I'm glad it's not too serious but oh the shock, your poor daughter. A hug from you is the best medicine. She's a Lucky Girl too.

Anniebach Wed 16-Mar-16 20:19:49

Hugs to you both, horrific to witness and horrific to think what may have been

Iam64 Wed 16-Mar-16 20:23:48

Terrifying. I do hope your daughter is ok emotionally. Life can change in seconds can't it

Marelli Wed 16-Mar-16 20:39:34

What an awful shock, Luckygirl. It'll probably hit her (and you) tomorrow. She did well, bless her. flowers

Indinana Wed 16-Mar-16 20:54:27

How awful for your poor DD, Luckygirl, a terrible shock. Thank heavens you were nearby to give some 'mummy love' as my DD always calls it. I do hope she doesn't suffer nightmares and flashbacks.
I just found a report online which said that several of the sheep had to be put down sad, but that it was 'extraordinary' that the level of injuries was not more serious.

rosesarered Wed 16-Mar-16 21:50:05

What a relief for you to know your DD is fine.As roads get more and more busy, it's a worry for us, who have DC or DGC who have to drive a lot in their jobs.I always feel happier if I know My DC are 'in the office' and not high tailing it up and down the UK on business.Nice that she wants your tlc Luckygirl sometimes only a Mum will do! smile

Nelliemoser Wed 16-Mar-16 22:25:19

Luckygirl That sounds dreadful and enough to put anyone off driving. Your daughter really needs to "get back on her horse" ASAP.

Bellanonna Wed 16-Mar-16 23:02:10

Thank God your daughter wasn't injured, and it was good of her to get involved and do what she could. I hope she gets over the trauma soon.

grannyactivist Thu 17-Mar-16 00:46:14

Being so close to a major accident (or even a more minor one) can be quite shocking so it's no wonder Luckydaughter needed a bit of TLC. I've just looked at the photographs and it really does seem amazing that no-one was more seriously hurt than breaking a leg.

Teetime Thu 17-Mar-16 06:18:32

Good heavens Lucky I do hope you DD is OK and not suffering any after effects. It was lucky that she could care for the children. I understand that people who have been traumatised by an accident say their distress was alleviated by knowing that could do something to help.

grannyqueenie Thu 17-Mar-16 06:43:10

Goodness what a shock for your daughter and amazing she was able to stay calm in the midst of it all. I bet you felt proud of her as well as relieved she was safe. I'm sure she was glad of a big ((HUG)) and your support afterwards. Being reminded of that fine line between life and death just makes us want to hug them all the harder doesn't it.

Imperfect27 Thu 17-Mar-16 06:48:48

What an awful shock for your DD. I suspect she will re-run events in her mind for some time. Thank goodness it wasn't even more serious. And thank goodness that she was safe. It sounds like she really kept her wits about her and did all the right things to assist others. xx

Grannyknot Thu 17-Mar-16 07:03:15

Phew. It's the sort of thing where foreplay the scene in your head over and over ...

Lucky girl.

Luckygirl Thu 17-Mar-16 08:54:00

Just sent her a bunch of spring flowers with a message to say we are proud of her and she did all the right things.

Thank you all for your sympathetic responses.

Imperfect27 Thu 17-Mar-16 09:01:04

How lovely Luckygirl -flowers say so much! xx