Gransnet forums

Chat

DD escapes injury in crash

(33 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 16-Mar-16 17:25:46

My poor DD has just been here for some TLC. She was waiting in a side road to turn left onto a main road and another car was waiting to turn right into the same road. Before she could move out, a large landrover with a trailer full of sheep crashed into the car waiting to turn right - the trailer overturned and crushed the waiting car; another ran into the back of it all, spun round on its roof and ended up on its wheels but crushed.

My DD rang 999 and set everything in train, checked that there was no major bleeding anywhere (she has just done a first aid course thank goodness) and managed to get a couple of children out and care for them in her car.

The road leads to a nursery so there were several little ones involved, and a pregnant mother.

By some miracle, after cutting people out of the cars, only one man had a broken leg - the ambulance service said it was beyond belief that no-one was killed.

If DD had moved forward by a matter of a yard she would have been right in the middle of this. She is very shocked and needed mother hugs and lots of reassurance that none of it was her fault.

It is a fine line between life and death.

Tegan Thu 17-Mar-16 09:03:08

I wonder if she should see a doctor so the event is on her medical record. I did that when we were involved is a shunt at traffic lights once and thought I might have a slight whiplash injury. I'm not surprised that she acted so bravely; I think her mum would have been the same.

cornergran Thu 17-Mar-16 09:30:47

A horrid experience for your daughter lucky and also for you and everyone who cares about her. So pleased she was not hurt but the 'what might have been' can be difficullt to overcome. Your daughter managed so well, I hope the memories settle very soon in everyone and you have also treated yourself to some Spring flowers.

Luckygirl Thu 17-Mar-16 10:04:54

Thank you tegan and everyone else. I plan to write to the nursery suggesting that they widen the end of the lane into a splay so that visibility is improved and there is room for more than one car at the beginning of the lane. The nursery is part of a farm and I am sure they own that land. They could also request that school warning signs are placed on the road, as another local nursery has done.

It has been an accident waiting to happen and now is the time to take some preventive steps.

felice Thu 17-Mar-16 10:19:23

I am so glad your DD is fine, she was very level-headed and should be congratulated.flowers for her.

Elrel Thu 17-Mar-16 17:03:58

So glad your daughter is all right, lucky for the others involved that she was there and had the training and prescence of mind to help them ?

Luckygirl Thu 17-Mar-16 17:08:06

www.herefordtimes.com/news/14346489.Updated__A49_reopened_following_crash_at_the_Callow/?ref=mr&lp=3

This is the accident - DD was just feet away - on the right in the first pic and the left in the second.

Very scary.

harrigran Thu 17-Mar-16 18:39:26

My goodness, that was a scary accident.
flowers for your DD Luckygirl.