Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this what addiction feels like? Or what do you need to start your day?

(19 Posts)
Alea Tue 19-Apr-16 11:41:48

I hope I am not trivialising addiction, but woke up this morning after a rough-ish night. Had to be up early as the little man in the red dungarees from Green Thumb was due and I had also agreed to let him into my neighbour's garden as she was going out. Felt a bit dyspeptic, so no tea, just a herbal brew and a natural yogurt. Then 2 paracetamol, still feeling rough. Eventually sat down with a cup of fresh real coffee (thanks to my own private George Clooney machine ) - and, you know what? I feel much better.
Garfield summed it up when he said
"Don't speak to me until I've had my second cup of coffee!"
Think I might risk a second one now smile

dogsdinner Tue 19-Apr-16 13:07:29

Get up at 7.00 so can have two cups of coffee before GC wake and want sorting. Cannot cope without caffeine. Definately addicted.

HildaW Tue 19-Apr-16 13:47:26

Am definitely in the coffee brigade. No one will get any sense out of me until I've made myself a small strong coffee (in my little battered pot). I sit quietly in the corner slowly 'coming to'. Later in the morning I often have a second one but that's my limit and never after 2 o'clock.

Anniebach Tue 19-Apr-16 13:49:12

My dearest friend is the most kind, calm gentle person I know,I am stitching a gift for her - 'hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt' she has to have her caffeine fix

Jalima Tue 19-Apr-16 14:20:30

I can't stand the smell of coffee before 11 am!

Have to have a fix of tea before I become semi-human. (semi)

merlotgran Tue 19-Apr-16 14:25:15

Tea is like a blood transfusion to me first thing in the morning. After that I'm fit for anything grin

janeainsworth Tue 19-Apr-16 14:36:29

Yes Merlot and preferably served in bed grin

tanith Tue 19-Apr-16 14:37:59

Its tea first for me too then a shower.

kittylester Tue 19-Apr-16 14:43:54

It's tea for me too! And, we take it in turns to make it and bring it up to bed, so really I should say tea on alternate days! brew

TerriBull Tue 19-Apr-16 14:57:05

80% of the time I'm lucky husband brings me a cup of coffee in bed at around 7 to 7.30. Sometimes he refuses to stir, usually this is if he's had an onerous day of golf the day before, then I bloody well have to make it hmm Then I have a shower and the whole body lotion thing etc. The shower is very essential as far as I'm concerned. Then I go downstairs and I make us another coffee from the coffee pod machine, which I am deeply in love with. I need these first two coffees to get me going, so yes it's an addiction.

Pippa000 Tue 19-Apr-16 16:03:07

We have a beans to coffee machine, life would be empty without it blush

wot Tue 19-Apr-16 16:16:59

I adore coffee and can't stand tea! It's always a problem if I stay with family ,cos I have to wait politely until I'm offered it! Nice to stay in b and b or
hotel with a kettle in the room.

lexigran Tue 19-Apr-16 17:20:57

Tea for me too, in bed, then coffee for elevenses smile

mrshat Tue 19-Apr-16 17:22:28

Definitely in the tea brigade. Cannot function properly without a large mug to start the day! grin

Hellomonty Tue 19-Apr-16 18:48:00

I love my pod thing too, but did you know that they are apparently turning out to be environmentally disastrous? All those little pods are one use and can't be recycled, so straight to landfill. My conscience is bothering me and I think I might return to my old filter machine.

Indinana Tue 19-Apr-16 18:59:23

I would struggle without tea. A few years ago I tried going wheat and dairy free, couldn't stand tea without milk or with milk substitutes [yuk emoticon], so I went without. I think tea and proper bread were the two most difficult things to do without. I only lasted 3 months sad.

Ana Tue 19-Apr-16 19:01:51

I would find it very hard to live without tea too (the ordinary kind). I don't like it strong and I don't take sugar, so I don't think it's doing me much harm but would hate to start my day without at least two mugs! (I don't drink coffee)

Iam64 Tue 19-Apr-16 19:04:21

It's a mug of tea followed before too long by a mug of proper coffee.
When I was involved in training folks on working with people dependent on drugs and/or alcohol we always began by encouraging the attendees to examine their own dependencies. Those early morning cups of tea and coffee hit the spot with the majority

rosesarered Tue 19-Apr-16 19:52:52

No coffee for me in the morning, only drink it in the evening after a meal.Must have a large mug of tea, Twinings, with a spoonful of honey as soon as I get up, followed by a very light breakfast and another cup of tea.Then , like others, am ready for the day, and yes,it is an addiction.