Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you get up to?

(62 Posts)
kittylester Sun 01-May-16 17:45:14

DH hates eating on his knee so we usually only do so on Saturday nights but he is out for the day so I've had my lamb and jersey royals on my knee while watching a film.

What do you do that is 'against' the rules - either your own rules or ones agreed with your other half?

hopeful1 Mon 02-May-16 10:47:18

Im surprised how many people have husbands making the rules. We have no rules, although my OH is not my husband! so relaxed.

sallyswin Mon 02-May-16 11:07:21

Another secret chocolate and chocolate biscuit eater. I am not generous when I have chocolate! When we have a joint box as a present DH issues one a day. I don't do rationing/sharing with my own chocolate. Come to think of it, when it comes to chocolate I am not a nice person. Fortunately for some unknown reason I seldom buy it, just when the shops sell off the boxes with holly on after Christmas.

kittylester Mon 02-May-16 11:16:36

I wondered if someone would comment on husbands making the rules. I don't think it's that. In our case, DH prefers to eat at the table and I enjoy setting the table nicely ( and not spilling food down my top!) but I also enjoy slobbing, as a treat, and usually only get to do that if dh is out. It's not him making the rules, it's the normal give and take of a relationship

Nelliemoser Mon 02-May-16 11:29:18

Jalima I am pretending to cook soup, clean the house, tidy up etc etc while I am on GN. All I came to my computer for was to look up the cost and sizes of rolls of clematis netting.

I rarely eat full dinners with a plate on my lap but my slobbing tendencies are around being dreadfully untidy.

merlin Mon 02-May-16 11:38:03

read in bed in the morning instead of getting up straight away

kittylester Mon 02-May-16 12:02:47

Actually, my OP asked about ANY rules and I think that even if DH wasn't around I would eat at the table just so I could enjoy an occasional slob!

rosesarered Mon 02-May-16 12:22:29

Venus grin I too have a secret stash, and always have an emergency bag of Maltesers( which I refuse to share as DH takes a whole large handful).angry

ninathenana Mon 02-May-16 14:39:49

I look like I'm a chocoholic but I'm seriously not. We have choc bars in the fridge all the time as H is diabetic and sometimes needs a sugar rush. They couldn't sit there for 12 mths and I wouldn't be tempted.
I'm jealous of anyone who regularly eats chocolate and is a size 10-14

baNANAGran3 Mon 02-May-16 14:40:28

Luckygirl your post got me thinking - I hate drinking water from upstairs tap but dh insists it's all the same water & sometimes in middle of night I drink from a glass he's filled. Now is it the same water as downstairs? (We don't have any tanks in loft). It doesn't feel right drinking it!
To get back to topic, I'm in the middle of sorting out winter clothes - er - except of course I'm on here. Chocolate also an issue.

Legs55 Mon 02-May-16 14:41:53

My worst "rule breaker" is sitting around in my pyjamas until lunch-time & reading my Sunday papers, doing crosswords & sudoku. Have even been known to go into the garden for a ciggie in my pj's. That's the beauty of being on your own - no-one to offend

Nonnie1 Mon 02-May-16 14:43:23

ninathenana Doesn't the chair get dirty?

smile

Elrel Mon 02-May-16 14:53:35

I had a couple of days in pyjamas last week. On a different occasion realised I had failed to haul the wheelie bins to their collection point. Scurried out around midnight in pjs and Pooh Bear dressing gown. Met no-one that time. Have been known to take recycling out in daylight in dressing gown too, usually spotted by passing neighbour and can feel weak, embarrassed grin spreading over my face.
Please don't report me to DC!!

Elrel Mon 02-May-16 14:58:34

Oh yes, and chocolate. They shouldn't leave Easter eggs here, should they? Especially partially consumed ones. No one misses a nibble from a broken Easter egg.
Yes but don't let it get to the point when the leftover bit bears no resemblance to what was entrusted to my keeping.
Then there was the time when I grabbed a weeks' old lower section of a chocolate rabbit from the fridge. And broke a dental plate on the thick base. Much hilarity at the dentist's.

baNANAGran3 Mon 02-May-16 17:51:02

Chocolate seems to be a huge issue smile which makes me feel better - but can someone please answer the upstairs/downstairs water issue? (I know off thread, sorry)

annodomini Mon 02-May-16 18:15:30

I'm sure my upstairs water is the same as downstairs. I don't have a tank in the loft so it comes straight from the mains either way. I've been drinking upstairs water with my pills for almost 16 years and haven't come to any noticeable harm.

FarNorth Mon 02-May-16 18:17:58

If there's no cold water tank anywhere on your premises, the upstairs water comes from the mains just like downstairs.
It has further to come, tho, so may have been lying about in the pipe for a while.

FarNorth Mon 02-May-16 18:19:34

Elrel grin grin. bad luck with that rabbit!

gulligranny Mon 02-May-16 18:19:35

We only recently cleared the junk room to become a rather nice dining room, so we tend to eat all our meals there. But when DH is out for lunch, which he is on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I slob in front of Bargain Hunt with a big mug of tea and a fried egg roll with loads of ketchup.

FarNorth Mon 02-May-16 18:24:48

I wonder what the people we live with get up to when we are not there.
I know that my house often reverberates to heavy rock at ridiculous volume (crashing garbage as I fondly call it) when I'm not there.
So it's not a case of anyone making the rules, it's just us not inflicting our own tastes on others.

watermeadow Mon 02-May-16 18:40:18

I eat at the kitchen table, if I ate off my lap I'd spill food down my front. Then I lick my plate, out of sight of the window.
I go out in my dressing gown and slippers to feed the birds and put out the bins.
I get up ridiculously early.
Hurrah for living alone and doing whatever I want!

Blinko Mon 02-May-16 19:31:22

Finish the remains of last night's glass of wine in the morning.. before ten o'clock.

ninathenana Tue 03-May-16 00:37:57

Nonnie1
The chair ???

tiredoldwoman Tue 03-May-16 05:22:10

It must be the same water as downstairs!
I think in previous plumbing it was stored in a tank so had been sitting all night and that's where we think 'don't drink upstairs water' . I get bad cramp in the night so in panic glug upstairs water . Not too sure about all the germy things floating about in there , though ! That's surely another thread !

pollyperkins Tue 03-May-16 08:38:21

Oh yes, I leap out of the chair where Ive been looking at gransnet ot whatsapp on my phone when I hear my OH coming in and pretend Ive been busy ironing or whatever. Mind you I know he eats crisps and other forbidden things when I'm out!

pollyperkins Tue 03-May-16 08:39:54

Not that he makes any rules- its just my guilty conscience!