Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you get up to?

(62 Posts)
kittylester Sun 01-May-16 17:45:14

DH hates eating on his knee so we usually only do so on Saturday nights but he is out for the day so I've had my lamb and jersey royals on my knee while watching a film.

What do you do that is 'against' the rules - either your own rules or ones agreed with your other half?

Craftycat Tue 03-May-16 10:36:17

Eating the remains of cold Chinese takeaway in the morning for breakfast!
It tastes much better than night before.
I hate eating on my lap but DH prefers it so I eat in the kitchen listening to The Archers in peace & he can watch American rubbish on TV in peace.
Everybody's happy.

Lilyflower Tue 03-May-16 10:40:33

When on my own I indulge in my OCD habits to over tidy the house to a peak of perfection, read books and listen to Radio Four catch-up drama.

inishowen Tue 03-May-16 10:54:13

We tend to eat on our laps because our kitchen is always icy cold. When hubby is away overnight, I don't make the bed properly, just throw the duvet over! That's as bad as i get!

sunseeker Tue 03-May-16 10:55:55

I usually eat at the table (although I do miss the long conversations I used to have with DH) so it means having the radio on for company. However, in the last couple of months I have been increasingly eating my evening meal from a tray on my lap in front of the TV! blush

Diddy1 Tue 03-May-16 11:08:40

Must admit to my ignorance as a new person to Gransnet, it is often written on this page DH is this a shortening for Dear Husband, not sure, please enlighten me!

BBbevan Tue 03-May-16 11:52:06

Diddy click on the acronym button at the top of the page. That will tell you all you need to know.

JackyB Tue 03-May-16 11:55:13

Diddy - click on the "Acronyms" button at the top of the forums page here - all will be revealed!

When my DH is away I will enjoy a good clear-out and clean-up without having to stop and get meals. I often put that sort of thing off because I know that if I have to stop after 2 hours and cook lunch, I'll never get back into the mood to continue. That would leave a terrible mess of half done cleaning and clearing which I probably would take weeks to find the oomph to carry on with.

When I'm on my own I can have a cup of tea as often as I want and eat the odd biscuit or apple on the fly and just keep going.

And not have to panic about him treading on things or putting things where he thinks they should go or (heaven forbid) throwing things away that I haven't had a last loving look at....

And playing the piano at 11 pm if I feel like it.

Madmartha Tue 03-May-16 13:02:33

I've got a tote bag stuffed with choc bars from the £1 shop (4 for £1) that nobody knows about. If someone comes in while I'm stuffing my face I hide it quick under the cushion. Not been caught yet smile

Elrel Tue 03-May-16 17:57:03

I once had a limited edition of lime Kit Kats, box of 24 from the market, under my bed. They didn't last for the 24 days I intended either ...
Poundland have syrup waffles and Tunnocks caramel wafers as well as Kit Kats and double packs of Jaffa cakes I've noticed, oh dear. The Syrup waffles' price per pack (5,6?) compares very well with what coffee chains charge for a single one.

Glammabobra Wed 04-May-16 12:57:28

When DH is working away I will get out my sewing and have the dining table as work space for the whole week he's away?, newspapers spread over coffe table and leave dishes in the sink with the bread board over the sink. As I eat very little I use very little crockery!
Occasionally I will invite DD & SIL for tea and will wash up after they leave.
Go to bed late as I want, watch what I want on TV without the debate about what's on that he likes. Read trashy magazines for hours and then pretend to have had a very busy day.................

What the hell...............I've retired and there are two of us not twenty two to look after. Keeping house is a doddle

Judthepud2 Wed 04-May-16 19:32:55

I creep into his man cave and throw total rubbish out that has just been accumulating. Think of those hoarder programmes on TV. That's DH's man cave! I don't dare touch any of his many wires or boxes of bits though.