Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you get up to?

(62 Posts)
kittylester Sun 01-May-16 17:45:14

DH hates eating on his knee so we usually only do so on Saturday nights but he is out for the day so I've had my lamb and jersey royals on my knee while watching a film.

What do you do that is 'against' the rules - either your own rules or ones agreed with your other half?

Nonnie1 Mon 02-May-16 14:43:23

ninathenana Doesn't the chair get dirty?

smile

Legs55 Mon 02-May-16 14:41:53

My worst "rule breaker" is sitting around in my pyjamas until lunch-time & reading my Sunday papers, doing crosswords & sudoku. Have even been known to go into the garden for a ciggie in my pj's. That's the beauty of being on your own - no-one to offend

baNANAGran3 Mon 02-May-16 14:40:28

Luckygirl your post got me thinking - I hate drinking water from upstairs tap but dh insists it's all the same water & sometimes in middle of night I drink from a glass he's filled. Now is it the same water as downstairs? (We don't have any tanks in loft). It doesn't feel right drinking it!
To get back to topic, I'm in the middle of sorting out winter clothes - er - except of course I'm on here. Chocolate also an issue.

ninathenana Mon 02-May-16 14:39:49

I look like I'm a chocoholic but I'm seriously not. We have choc bars in the fridge all the time as H is diabetic and sometimes needs a sugar rush. They couldn't sit there for 12 mths and I wouldn't be tempted.
I'm jealous of anyone who regularly eats chocolate and is a size 10-14

rosesarered Mon 02-May-16 12:22:29

Venus grin I too have a secret stash, and always have an emergency bag of Maltesers( which I refuse to share as DH takes a whole large handful).angry

kittylester Mon 02-May-16 12:02:47

Actually, my OP asked about ANY rules and I think that even if DH wasn't around I would eat at the table just so I could enjoy an occasional slob!

merlin Mon 02-May-16 11:38:03

read in bed in the morning instead of getting up straight away

Nelliemoser Mon 02-May-16 11:29:18

Jalima I am pretending to cook soup, clean the house, tidy up etc etc while I am on GN. All I came to my computer for was to look up the cost and sizes of rolls of clematis netting.

I rarely eat full dinners with a plate on my lap but my slobbing tendencies are around being dreadfully untidy.

kittylester Mon 02-May-16 11:16:36

I wondered if someone would comment on husbands making the rules. I don't think it's that. In our case, DH prefers to eat at the table and I enjoy setting the table nicely ( and not spilling food down my top!) but I also enjoy slobbing, as a treat, and usually only get to do that if dh is out. It's not him making the rules, it's the normal give and take of a relationship

sallyswin Mon 02-May-16 11:07:21

Another secret chocolate and chocolate biscuit eater. I am not generous when I have chocolate! When we have a joint box as a present DH issues one a day. I don't do rationing/sharing with my own chocolate. Come to think of it, when it comes to chocolate I am not a nice person. Fortunately for some unknown reason I seldom buy it, just when the shops sell off the boxes with holly on after Christmas.

hopeful1 Mon 02-May-16 10:47:18

Im surprised how many people have husbands making the rules. We have no rules, although my OH is not my husband! so relaxed.

Thingmajig Mon 02-May-16 10:27:42

We usually have dinner on lap-trays whilst watching the news, although we have a lovely dining table!
When DGD is here she sits at her wee (Ikea) table beside us but wanders around matching our food and mooching stuff off Granddad's plate. smile

I sometimes sneak in some chocolate or sweets and eat it upstairs while I'm supposedly crafting but probably just surfing the net. grin

Theoddbird Mon 02-May-16 10:22:02

I don't do rules...simples

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 10:16:23

Pretending to do family history research or something else important on the pc when in fact I am on GN.

Venus Mon 02-May-16 10:09:12

When I'm on my own, I get out my secret hoard of chocolate!

SusieB50 Mon 02-May-16 10:09:05

Watch Heir Hunters after Breakfast TV in my PJ's if DH is still asleep after a night of insomnia - him not me !

Luckygirl Mon 02-May-16 09:50:39

I...very daringly....... drink water from the upstairs taps!!

belladonna Mon 02-May-16 09:48:09

All of those...pretending I have been busy..when I have been watching telly all day!

mcculloch29 Mon 02-May-16 09:46:37

I live on my own now, so I do as I please. I have to work from home due to severe arthritis in my hip, so luckily I am able to schedule my time my way.
Yesterday I was wearing a real mishmash of clothes that I wouldn't have been seen dead in outside. The only person to witness this was the Amazon delivery guy. As to breaking the rules outside the house, the cycle parking bay outside Aldi is too far from the trolley bay for my trike. So I usually park him (it's a he) tucked under the display board outside or on the open area where people wait for taxis.
I also have special dispensation to cycle in the town centre with him.

Angela1961 Mon 02-May-16 09:44:12

Turn up the heating. Dh thinks only Green & Blacks or Lindt choc comes into the house - sneak the occasional Cadburys. Also am I the only one who will get up and 'pretend ' I'm busy doing something if I see him coming up the drive ?

cloverpark Mon 02-May-16 09:42:11

Several of these posts apply to me too: heating thermostat up; radio up in kitchen and left on even when I go upstairs as I'm bound to be down again before long; and (worst of all in my husband's eyes) when I wash up in the sink, let the water run down the plughole until it's hot enough. Normally we have to run the cold into a bowl until warm enough. This then used to water garden (in summer - sensible) or flush down cloakroom loo other times!

Fid Mon 02-May-16 09:40:50

I am a secret trolley surfer down any empty supermarket aisles. Try it.

squirrel5 Mon 02-May-16 09:25:02

Ha ha,I laughed when I saw Jomarie's post,just like me, The heat control thermostat is in the hall, and DH,turns it down, and I go past and turn it up again,much to his annoyance.

Teetime Mon 02-May-16 08:52:52

Just every now and again (honest) a glass of wine with cheese and biscuits at lunch time and a box set on Netflix.

FarNorth Mon 02-May-16 01:06:13

If I'm on my own I often have the radio playing loudly in the kitchen, ao I can hear it in the rest of the house.