Gransnet forums

Chat

Garden solar lights anyone?

(76 Posts)
Alima Mon 09-May-16 22:01:32

For years we have had some garden solar lights, the stick in the ground type, quite pretty and sedate if a bit like a landing strip. We then added some fairy lights, again fairly low key and twinkly. This year we seem to have gone bloody mad with them. I had some more for Mother's Day, stick in the ground ones which change colour, then a rather nice tall one like bluebells for my birthday, plus one in the shape of a cat. It was today that did it. We saw some string lights the size of Christmas baubles. They are coloured but subtle. Sadly DH has stuck them on flashing mode. My garden now resembles Fremont Street in Las Vegas and I can feel a visual migraine coming on. First job tomorrow will be to switch them to twinkle. No more!

whitewave Mon 09-May-16 22:04:18

grin They are honestly not my thing, but my mother bought me a solar duck -don't ask - which now sits in the garden

merlotgran Mon 09-May-16 22:06:01

We have some stick in the ground ones but they are placed randomly on the edges of borders rather than alongside a path which, I agree, makes it look like a landing strip.

obieone Mon 09-May-16 22:07:26

solar duck grin

My mum has received solar garden lights recently.

I feel myself getting drawn to garden lights after your post Alima!

fiorentina51 Mon 09-May-16 22:10:21

I'm afraid I have to confess to a slight obsession with solar garden lights and also Christmas lights. I blame my deprived childhood. ?

Synonymous Mon 09-May-16 22:16:48

We could do with the 'landing strip' along our path to the front door but don't suppose solar would do it for the winter. Sadly, I expect we will have to go for the wired in lights which will be far more expensive. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 22:18:17

I bought three round ones at the weekend. They are looking like traffic lights at the moment. I might have to reposition them.

whitewave Mon 09-May-16 22:19:04

No solar seems fine -next door are all solar and its like Piccadilly Circus summer and winter alike.

Synonymous Mon 09-May-16 22:19:23

Don't think DH would appreciate a duck though! grin

Unless served with a sauce and some good wine of course! smile

whitewave Mon 09-May-16 22:21:35

It is the most peculiar looking thing and changes colour all night long.

Synonymous Mon 09-May-16 22:21:40

Whitewave might give that a go then if they work in the winter.

Synonymous Mon 09-May-16 22:22:44

NOT the duck! He would have me sectioned! grin

whitewave Mon 09-May-16 22:29:33

It is odd as it serves no purpose at all. It isn't bright enough to light the way, and is incredibly ugly by day with a solar panel on its back.

NotTooOld Mon 09-May-16 22:29:35

Love the idea of the solar duck! Don't think I'd want one, though. We already have two flashing ducks sitting on the side of the bath waiting for another visit from the smallest DGC. We have some solar fairylights. DH put them up on the hedge in the back garden where they have fallen into the shape of The Plough, as DH pointed out to me. Whatever, they look good in the hedge until DH runs amok with the hedge cutters.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 22:37:54

this one looks lovely

durhamjen Mon 09-May-16 22:47:45

That's not a duck, jingl, not with a beak like that!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 22:50:06

grin No. It is a bit odd!

Anniebach Mon 09-May-16 23:00:08

So sorry, I don't like outdoor lights, why when there are stars and the moon , but if people like them why not.

The lady next door to me , convinced she has OCD, she washes their bed linen three times a week ,she has plastic flowers entwined in her from fence and now has several,pots of plastic marigolds , wish she would swop them for lights

Alima Mon 09-May-16 23:09:55

You Ok Annieb? Just that you are usually so much more lucid.

durhamjen Mon 09-May-16 23:15:20

Buy her one for one of her pots, Annie. You can get them for a couple of pounds now. See if she takes the hint.

Synonymous Mon 09-May-16 23:15:56

jings that looks like a peacock crossed with a crane! grin Might look better in the dark though!

ab lights are very handy in dark places and I have a friend with Macular Degeneration so I could do with lighting my path to stop her falling into the bushes. She has a GSOH but that is a step too far.
Definite no to plastic flowers! shock

durhamjen Mon 09-May-16 23:33:31

I was thinking part albatross, Synonymous.

Anniebach Mon 09-May-16 23:41:55

Fine Alima thank you. I thought my post made sense - I don't like outdoor lights but respect the fact that many do

She next door has plastic flowers adorning her fence in in garden pots , I would choose lights over plastic marigolds and plastic sunflowers , I have to look at them every day

Anniebach Mon 09-May-16 23:43:56

Synonomous , that is so different, I was thinking of garden decorations , didn't think of safety sorry

ElaineI Mon 09-May-16 23:45:44

I'm with Fiorentina - love my solar lights and Christmas lights! Make me happy and DGS aged 2 loves to line them up on the grass! Especially the fairies!
Very funny on a different theme - DD is a primary school teacher and is always pointing things out to DGS and asking questions. Recently he has entered terrible twos and yesterday was shouting "not want to count the fairies!" and "Mumma not ask me questions - just read story!"
Have any of you encountered this with DDs or DSs who are teachers?
I feel that sometimes it negates the fun of childhood to be always asking questions.
Also yesterday when the sun finally came in Edinburgh - 2 of my new neighbour's daughters (they have at least 6 children) age 4 and 2 climbed up the fence when they heard us in the garden - finally appeared round the side of the house and stayed to play the whole afternoon with occasional requests from a big sister to come back. They were in and out the house, up the stairs taking toys out, playing with the water toys and bubbles and finally when we went inside as it was my Mum's 81st birthday tea and I suggested they go back home was politely told by the 4 year old "No thank you!" This was all very funny but it has been years since I catered for multiple visiting children as youngest DD is 27! It made my Mum's day however! Did worry me slightly that their parents never came to see where they were. Maybe they thought as elder DD is a teacher that the girls would be safe. Could have done with the day off work to recover today though x