Gransnet forums

Chat

Garden solar lights anyone?

(77 Posts)
Alima Mon 09-May-16 22:01:32

For years we have had some garden solar lights, the stick in the ground type, quite pretty and sedate if a bit like a landing strip. We then added some fairy lights, again fairly low key and twinkly. This year we seem to have gone bloody mad with them. I had some more for Mother's Day, stick in the ground ones which change colour, then a rather nice tall one like bluebells for my birthday, plus one in the shape of a cat. It was today that did it. We saw some string lights the size of Christmas baubles. They are coloured but subtle. Sadly DH has stuck them on flashing mode. My garden now resembles Fremont Street in Las Vegas and I can feel a visual migraine coming on. First job tomorrow will be to switch them to twinkle. No more!

Synonymous Mon 09-May-16 23:46:02

durhamjen I think you could be right! I just noticed the other one that they reckon are frequently bought together is supposed to be a peacock! But really, just NO! grin Why ever would you buy that?shock

Synonymous Mon 09-May-16 23:56:01

No probs ab smile

Elaine that sounds as if you all had a good day. You do have to wonder about the parents not checking - but perhaps they know you? Had to laugh at the "No thank you" about going home. Priceless! smile

Jalima Tue 10-May-16 00:02:12

I suppose they don't need watering anniebach - that is the only upside grin
and in flower all winter too I suppose

Synonymous Tue 10-May-16 00:06:14

They will eventually need a wash though Jalima hmm

Jalima Tue 10-May-16 00:07:10

And they lose their colour in the sun and go dingey - I remember when lots of people had them years and years ago.

Coolgran65 Tue 10-May-16 00:28:46

Can't be doing with plastic flowers in the garden.

But do love my fairy lights in the Apple and plum trees.

I had about 12 stick in the ground ones that never looked right so they are now stuck randomly in the ivy growing up the wall and look great.

rubylady Tue 10-May-16 02:32:58

That sounds like me with the plastic flowers entwined against the fence. grin I bought some garlands because gardening is getting harder so I thought some artificial flowers might do the trick but the jury is still out on them yet.

I have solar lights as well but two sets have stopped working and a couple of the "airstrip" ones don't come on now too. I have bought some new ones but not got round to putting them up yet.

I also have men appalled at my taste in fence and gate paint. The fence is dark brown but the posts are pink as are the gates. Why not? It's my garden. It looks quite sweet. grin

kittylester Tue 10-May-16 07:18:04

We have electric lights dotted among the plants which I love. Our water feature has small lights that change colour in each of four bowls. I'm not so sure about those but we can't switch them off.

whitewave Tue 10-May-16 07:25:26

jing that's the one!!!!

whitewave Tue 10-May-16 07:31:46

The dog weed on it yesterday morning

BBbevan Tue 10-May-16 08:30:38

Next door have every light known to man. I'm surprised that some aircraft bound for Luton has not tried to land there.wink

Anniebach Tue 10-May-16 08:31:25

Well, I love the night sky and the moon reflected in the river - when it isn't raining, sorry night light lovers

Luckygirl Tue 10-May-16 08:38:33

We have some very simple (and very cheap) lights that we have screwed to the fence posts up our drive and the gate posts - it helps enormously when returning home in the dark, or reversing down the drive in the dark - they only switch on when you drive or walk near them. We have also put a similar one low down by the first front step as you come out of the door, as the security light only comes on when you get to the bottom of the steps, as it is designed to deter burglars who are at the bottom of the steps. We have found them very useful indeed and they are only about £3-4 each.

rosesarered Tue 10-May-16 08:42:02

Love the solar duck....quack!?
Solar lights look best stuck in garden beds randomly, hardly showing, so that you just get the lights on foliage without seeing the actual lights themselves.

GandTea Tue 10-May-16 08:46:59

We have a solar spot light that illuminates on of the trees in our garden.

Back when solar lights were new, our neighbour bought a solar gnome. Someone who will remain nameless for fear of prosecution for gnome-knapping, stole it !!!!!
Photographed it tied to a chair and sent them a ransom note.

Gmone lovers -- the ransom was paid and the gnome release without harm.

Gagagran Tue 10-May-16 08:58:33

We have a flock of solar hens - well 2 hens and a cockerel. They have names too -Gregory Peck, Henrietta and the cockerel is called Whittaker. The hens light up at night and the cockerel changes colour. We love them!

rosesarered Tue 10-May-16 09:04:42

Keep an eye on them gagagran...... There may be the patter of tiny chick feet!grin
Gand Tea I am shocked shock such cruel treatment of gnomes.What was the ransom demanding btw?

GandTea Tue 10-May-16 09:13:25

The ransom demanded was a substantial donation to the NSPCG . Should the Gnome Police be informed, the Gnomes fishing rod would be surgically removed.
For some strange reason we seemed to be top of their list as suspects.

rosesarered Tue 10-May-16 09:18:36

I am now reporting you to the NSPCG.... They will be along any minute ( you will find three short, fat, beared men on your doorstep with cudgels and angry expressions.)

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-May-16 09:25:11

Ab I have to confess to having a couple of strings of plastic flowers. Bought 'em back from Amsterdam with a weird idea of decorating my bike basket with them, like they do out there. Went out with them on bike once, felt so daft that couldn't do it again. So I wound them round the trunk of a pear tree where they now hang down looking faded and grubby. blush

Greyduster Tue 10-May-16 09:30:30

We had a couple of cheap solar lights lighting up our water feature at the last house. They looked quite effective until GS demolished one of them with his football. The poor little chap did offer to pay for it out of his money box, but we removed the other one, intending to get some better ones and then moved before we got round to it. Our present garden doesn't have much in the way of features that would benefit from lighting. I wish I'd brought the water feature with us as it was quite expensive and the people we sold it to subsequently got rid of every feature in the garden - arbor, paving, flower beds, the lot, and put the whole thing to grass. Chacon a son gout.

Anniebach Tue 10-May-16 09:32:51

Jingle, if you liked them on you bike basket do put them back, nothing daft about it, if anything makes you happy, hurts no one and isn't ilegal go for it

Charleygirl Tue 10-May-16 09:41:43

I had a selection of solar lights in my garden a few years ago- I agree they did look a tad like a landing strip but I liked them. Unfortunately so did somebody else because one day they had vanished. At that time they were not so cheap to buy. I have not replaced them although I know I have a few in the shed.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-May-16 09:42:18

Right! I'll have to give 'em a good wash, then I'll be off. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-May-16 09:43:29

There is an elderly chap round here who wears flowers, feathers, and goodness knows what, in his hat, so I might not look too out of place!