Gransnet forums

Chat

magazines

(90 Posts)
peaceatlast Thu 19-May-16 17:30:55

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I love the sound of a magazine landing on the doormat so I am looking for another one to subscribe to.

I am 64 years old and have tried so many magazines over the past few years but have yet to find "the one" for me.

My interests are, travel, eating out, my home, my family, crafts, cooking/baking, finance appropriate to my lifestyle, short stories (realistic) and interesting articles about people like me.

I am not interested in celebrities or houses that I will never be able to afford or wildlife, country pursuits. I do like the seaside and hanker after living there.

I know I am being fussy but I would just like to combine the relevant bits of magazines I have tried (House Beautiful, Ideal Home, Your Home, My Style, The Simple Things, various craft magazines, The Lady, Saga etc. etc.

I live in a modest 1960s detached house, within walking distance of town and I like to make the most of my home. I spend much of my time/money or buying things to enhance my home (I have a passion for tableware, kitchen things, linen). I spend a fortune as I like to ring the changes regularly. I can be influenced by some of the magazines but only as far as they are relevant/affordable.

I know I am seeking the impossible. Oh yes, and I also hanker after being a 1950s housewife, lol.

Any suggestions, please?

Badenkate Fri 20-May-16 11:41:02

I get the Logic magazines on subscription numberplease. I could never find them in the shops either.

Some libraries do have a magazine on-line facility peaceatlast. Shropshire certainly do and you only have to be a library member - it doesn't cost anything

sarah2000h Fri 20-May-16 11:53:20

numberplease you can subscribe to Logic Puzzles and its cheaper than buying them from WHSmith's. I only buy it occasionally so haven't subscribed.

sarah2000h Fri 20-May-16 11:54:59

peaceatlast
I find it more interesting to buy different magazines. I like to look through them at the newsagents and buy the one that suits me best that week.

carolmary Fri 20-May-16 12:20:30

I have been given subscriptions to several magazines as Christmas presents and I find that after a year or so the same old subjects reappear ad nauseam. I think "me time" is the worst!
I think on the whole I liked Sainsbury's magazine best and it was not expensive. I really enjoy my RHS magazine though and thoroughly recommend it to armchair gardeners like me! Iwas given RHS membership as a present and have kept it up. I love it.

Stansgran Fri 20-May-16 12:35:35

My library does on line magazines and although you have to have a Zinio app it's easy to get a selection of things which may or may not interest you and then you could select the right magazine for you to come through the post. I like Marie France when I'm abroad.

Jane10 Fri 20-May-16 13:33:42

I know its desperately uncool but the good old People's Friend has all sorts of stuff in it apart from all the stories. Just discovered that 400,000 copies are sold every week. Some Grans must be buying it...

Pittcity Fri 20-May-16 16:11:30

I borrow the latest magazines free from the library on my tablet. All is explained on our local library website. This way I can flick through and have not wasted any money.
A good online magazine is Standard Issue that can also be read free and has articles to interest everyone.
I think that printed mags are just not worth the money any more.

EllenT Fri 20-May-16 16:38:53

Being a seasider I like the idea of Coast but in practice most of it's read very quickly and/or quite trivial. So at £4.20 only an infrequent indulgence. Think I'll see what the library has to offer, thanks all for the suggestion.

peaceatlast Fri 20-May-16 16:58:27

I think I've tried just about every magazine mentioned. Some are definitely better than others. I remember my friend's mother getting The People's Friend in the sixties. She would have been about 50 then. I can't believe I'm so much older than that now. My husband gets me magazines on a one week loan from the library. I do like Coast and was really into that last year when we almost moved to the coast.
I guess I will just keep on with my quest. Thanks everyone.

wot Fri 20-May-16 18:41:14

Peace, Woman's Weelky, only 92 pence, good crossword, not too much celebrity rubbish and delivered every Friday. Has craft ideas in it, a short story and a serial story.

peaceatlast Fri 20-May-16 19:25:32

Thanks, wot, it has been a while since I've looked at Woman's Weekly. I will pick up a single copy at the shops and give it another go.

clangers72 Fri 20-May-16 19:44:00

Although not really a magazine in the Good Housekeeping etc) sense, I get Readers Digest. Full of lots of interesting things to dip in and out of, not full of celebrity stuff and not too pricey for subscription either. All the family enjoy it, it lands up as a 'toilet read'.

Witzend Fri 20-May-16 20:50:49

I used to get Coast, because I had such a hankering after moving to be near the sea. However it's never going to happen now - for a start I will never be able to shift dh from this location (admittedly very convenient) and secondly I would be too far away to be able to help dd regularly with baby Gd - and another baby on the way soon - 15 month gap!, That has to be my priority now.
I did enjoy the mag, though. I suspect a lot of the readers are like I was - dreaming!

Witzend Fri 20-May-16 20:56:28

Re celebrity mags - I picked up a discarded one last summer when I was sitting by a pool with temporarily nothing to read. I swear I had absolutely no notion who 90% of the people they were gushing about were! There were one or two I had vaguely heard of, but whether they were footballers or pop singers I had no idea.
Did I care? Not a hoot, but it was interesting to see how 'successful' my aversion to anything 'celeb' related had been!

numberplease Fri 20-May-16 21:56:04

Jane 10, I buy Peoples Friend occasionally, not regularly, and always enjoy it, but don`t think I`d want to read it week after week.
Badenkate, I`ve actually been thinking today about subscribing to Logic.

Marelli Fri 20-May-16 22:39:51

Decided to subscribe to Good Housekeeping again (used to have it a few years ago). I may even be given a free gift of 'cultured pearls' for taking it on - don't think they'll be on a par with Galen's though wink

hicaz46 Sat 21-May-16 09:04:48

I have Good Food magazine and Coast magazine delivered. If you like the seaside then Coast is great. As an ex Brighton resident now living in Deryshire I love reading about the sea side.

Harris27 Sat 21-May-16 09:17:50

I subscribe to prima and good woman and home these are my favourites tried others but like these I'm 56 and like them

Sheilasue Sat 21-May-16 09:39:17

I like woman's weekly and my weekly I also have a subscription for woman and home. I must admit I have a weakness for mags and buy home and antiques also landscape.Tesco have a free magazine and I love a freebie

Pinkshoes26 Sat 21-May-16 10:03:35

I have x2 magazines delivered v postman
Amateur Gardening and Prima..
Amateur Gardening is delivered every Saturday and is full of good gardens advice and often has free seed packets.
Prima has been a favourite of mine for years. I try and do the puzzles.

Sometimes I subscribe using Tesco or nector points and always through Quidco cash back site.

Occasionly I buy Yours in the shops.

Tina21 Sat 21-May-16 10:47:02

Pleased to learn that I am not the only one dissatisfied with the magazines currently on offer. I used to enjoy perusing the newsagents for one that caught my eye, buying it and then scuttling home to read it with a cuppa. My little luxury?.
Cannot help feeling that we are a largely disregarded hole in the market. We have time, inclination (for a little relaxation) and income for such minor luxuries. Someone is missing out on a large potential profit.

NonnaAnnie Sat 21-May-16 10:51:10

Chelseababy, Logic mags available on subscription and delivered to your door.

www.puzzler.com/magazines/logic/

www.newsstand.co.uk/653-Logic-Puzzle-Magazines/2445-Subscribe-to-PUZZLER-LOGIC-PROBLEMS-Magazine-Subscription.aspx

paola Sat 21-May-16 10:51:49

i used to love the Oldie (and had about 20 of my travel and lifestyle articles published in it) but find it has got awfully dull since the change of editor a couple of years ago. I get Olive and Hood Food magazines and enjoy experimenting with new recipes.

Smithy Sat 21-May-16 10:52:50

Would agree with you Harris27, Prima and Woman and Home - both mags have a good variety of articles.

lizzypopbottle Sat 21-May-16 11:04:46

I've subscribed to Woman and Home for several years. I like it because it's not aimed solely at younger women. Older women are always represented in a broad range of ages in the fashion and beauty pages although the models are, of course, too thin. They do a lot of 'makeovers' of real people and often feature real women who have changed careers or started successful businesses in mid-life. It also has travel, food and home sections. There's some attention paid to celebrities but it doesn't dominate.

I get Good Housekeeping free with my bank account!

I look forward to both magazines arriving but they usually come quite close together, which is sad because I don't apply any delayed gratification, reading them as soon as they drop through the letter box! ? So they are finished too soon. That's when I start buying the home improvement magazines....